ULTRA FIRMWARE 11.0 MAY 9 2011

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 9.02 FEB 12 2009

jhuggins said:
im pumped out of my mind for a new "compressor tips with Radley" session, you really help me bring the best out of my fx... you know that makes you super cool right?
+1
I'm also *very* eager for a Radley-recipe for compression. Radley's tips on reverb have completely changed the presence of my patches and their ability to cut through the mix. I have yet to dig into his EQ tips... but please, oh please (pretty please, with sugar on it) Radley, share your discoveries of the new compressor functions and how to get the most out of them?

(EDIT: I couldn't dial in a good compressor block if my life depended on it. I can *hear* the beauty when a good one works, but all my attempts at creating one from scratch are a real farce. I end up with exaggerated everything. I don't hear (or don't "get") the subtleties while tweaking, so only extreme settings seem to make any difference whatsoever... so a Radley tip, for me, would make a *huge* difference.)

Thanks guys for the 'vote of confidence', and I will be posting some new compression tips shortly. I have been 'out of commission' the last couple of weeks because of my dear mother's unexpected passing (it's OK - she's in a much better place than we are at the moment!) Deb & I just got back from Oklahoma City for the funeral & to be with extended family at our time of loss. (Any condolences should be part of another thread since this one is devoted to 9.02, thanks)

As far as Cliff's new compression features go, I am severely impressed at the potential they add to the mix, and the way he has implemented them. We now have the tools for beautifully smooth, natural & expressive compression - something 'them Pod users' can only dream of! :cool:

~Rad~

Radley

Words of Condolences - I will have to face this myself one day soon. But know that at least here, we musicians can still show each other a little compassion even when we dont know each other personally.

I wish you serenity.

Spike

Alex EShadow said:
FractalAudio said:
The whole reason the Engl models weren't included is because the schematics are not accurate. Engl intentionally distributes schematics with wrong values and errors in them. Some users sent me schematics but they were the same as the schematics I already had that contain errors.

I entered the values from the Engl schematics and it sounded terrible. I knew it would because many of the values didn't make sense but I tried anyway. Without accurate data I can't model an amp.

The Orange Rockerverb is on my list of amps to model but I simply haven't had the time.

@Cliff, first of all I'd like to kindly say thank you for taking the time and patience to replying to this message. I very much appreciate your support for the user community, as well as the effort put into your products. Thank you also for spending some time with the Savage schematic. I will try to help Mosh with the shipping bill to send the actual unit to you for modeling, and hopefully you will be able to revisit at some point.

People seem to jump straight to conclusions, without grasping the whole story. You obviously could jump to the conclusion that I'm a spoiled brat crying because I didn't get what I asked for Christmas. You could also argue that updates are free and as such, they should not be criticized.

My one and only complaint was that what was on top of the wish list was not Cliff's priority. I honestly believe that Fractal Audio is a user-driven company, so I was surprised to see something that didn't match their regular user feedback incorporation modus operandi, and expresed it in this forum in order to find out if others felt the same way.

What I got instead was a stream of posts defending Cliff's choice, and stating that the updates are free.

To all those who mentioned the free price as a factor for discouraging criticism, I encourage you to read Chris Anderson's book Free, the future of prices. Cliff offers updates for free, but he benefits from it by counting on us to act as voluntary salesmen for the AxeFX, and also the new firmware updates get the unit better, thus potentially conquering new adepts. Just because something is free, it doesn't mean you have to take it how it is, and while i want to make clear that I am NOT questioning the quality of the updates provided, but only giving a short explanation on why you are still paying for the product, even if i is sill free.

To the ones telling me to stop questioning Cliff's decisions, I strongly believe that he has the right to bend the product to his own will, but so do I as a customer have the right of giving him feedback about what was expected.

Why did this post turn into a flame war I do not know, as I have not criticized the update itself, but only the lack of attention to user feedback when picking new features.

Next time I may end up just sending Cliff an email, I'm sure it will have a much less negaive response.

VERY well put man. I 100% support what you are saying here. I've tried to express a few times that while the updates do not cost us extra money, they aren't really free. I think Cliff was smart enough to charge enough for the units to ensure he would have the financial resources to continue to update it. And as you said the more he improves, the more we praise. I guarantee the positive feedback on this forum is Fractals #1 most effective form of advertising. I certainly wouldn't have bought one were it not for that. On top of that the updates, help draw more customers who want more from the product. I wasn't happy with what the axe had to offer sound wise till 9.0. Once i heard 9.0 i finally felt it was good enough for my extremely cheap self to buy.

Its really classy for cliff to have set up a system where you don't ever have to worry about spending money on updates. But that certainly doesn't mean critical viewpoints should not be offered. If cliff had no use for them, he'd be the worlds first perfect human being.

And I think we've all seem over time, that cliff thrives off of the criticism. He harnesses it into a more polished profit. Thats exactly what any successful person does. Only the weak, scared, and amateur are scared or bothered by constructive criticism. Cliff isn't one of those folks, hence no one here needs to try and play the role of cup bearer.
~mx~
~mx~

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 9.03 MARCH 6 2010

9.03 OUT
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... ra9_03.zip

The TRANSFORMER MATCH parameter in the amp block has been split into two new
parameters: LF RESONANCE and HF RESONANCE. These parameters control the interaction of the virtual power amp with the virtual speaker in the low-frequency and high-frequency bands, respectively. The HF RESONANCE control is especially effective at brightening or darkening the amp model. The default value is 5.00 which is a relative value of 1.0 for each amp model’s actual high-frequency resonance. Reducing this value to 2.5, for example, will lower the high-frequency resonance and give most of the high-gain amps the same high-frequency resonance as version 9.00 firmware.
Reworked Carol-Ann OD2 amp model.
Fixed incorrect values for SOLO 99 clean and rhythm models when bright switch off.
Added “Brit JM45” tone-stack and changed default tone-stack for Brit JM45 amp model to this.
Added “Citrus RV50” model.

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 9.03 MARCH 6 2010

Help me please. I didn't upgrade my Ultra's firmware since it was out of box. Tonight i decided to finally do it. Firmware was 6.02 or 6.06 i do not remember. After installing axe-edit program wouldn't work with my (says no midi) Ultra. I've tried to upgrade firmware to 9.03 and it goes thru as normal as it should be. After rebooting axe-edit starts to see my Ultra i even did synchronisation and backup procedure.
BUT NO SOUND ON ANALOG OR DIGITAL OUTPUT AT ALL!!!!
Processor work fine. I see input indicator react. If turn to tuner it works too. Every parameter is changing from program and looks like everything ok. What can it be? I find 6.06 firmware and put it back. And vuala! Works! Tried to upgrade to 9,03 once again and same old song. No output signal :( Can anyone help?

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 10.01 JUNE 19 2010

10.01 is up

http://www.fractalaudio.com/support-fractal.html

Fixed early reflections not audible in reverb block.
Added value checking to MidiSendName() to prevent illegal MIDI sysex values which are present in some presets created with old editor.
Reworked Euro Uber model.
Added “Shiver Cln” and “Shiver Ld” models.
Added “Marsha BE” and “Marsha HBE” models.
Added “Face Fuzz” and “Master Fuzz” drive models.
Improved Presence control algorithm in amp block. The new algorithm more accurately models the resulting response of the power amp and speaker coil interaction. Increasing the Presence control will now produce more “bite” and a more pronounced attack.
New slew-rate algorithm in Drive block. This algorithm is an exact model of the op-amp slew-rate limiting.
Fixed amp block popping when turning power amp simulation on/off.

Hey hey

I am absolutely brand new to the Ultra having got it only a week ago. I am on a Mac and dont know if and how I should install the new firmware. I dont have my Ultra hooked in via midi. Can someone advise?

I have to say... as my friends say... I have "drank the kool aid". I spent some time with Dweezil at his soundcheck and was so blown away by his rig and sounds, I went out and bought the Ultra the next day. I have since sold all my other amps and preamps. :)

I only wish to dive deeper into this amazing system.

Thanks!!

Shawn

No specific factory presets for 10.x, or 9.x ....
Still the same old bunch .... of almost 400 presets (ultra).

slowpork said:
hi.
Where can I latest presets for firmware 10? thx.
-sp
We did access to FTP of FAS, but, recently, Cliff has locked him. :-(...
Not cool. I was regularly take a look to it to be up to date and take the news on a famous French audio website.
Now, I need to watch the forum regularly. Don't like it.

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 10.02 SEPT 3 2010

http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... a10_02.zip

SysEx Header now incorporates new permanent Manufacturer’s ID (00H 01H 74H) assigned by the MIDI Manufacturer’s Association.

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 10.02 SEPT 3 2010

Well let me be the first to say this is great! The top end seems to have more air but as you push it harder, especially on high gain sounds, overall it seems have an ever tighter, grainier edge.

:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom