ULTRA FIRMWARE 11.0 MAY 9 2011

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 9.02 FEB 12 2009

At the risk of being snarled at for missing the post where this was addressed, and apologizing profusely beforehand..

Didn't I read, back at the beginning of this thread, that in order to install 9.02 I need the new editor, which doesn't really exist yet? Or did I misread that?
(hell, I don't even have the existing editor though I'm sure it's linked here somewhere)
I just got my Ultra in December and have been running around like a maniac to just try getting in front of the learning curve before I start dancing through the aisles grabbing stuff..

grumpops said:
At the risk of being snarled at for missing the post where this was addressed, and apologizing profusely beforehand..

Didn't I read, back at the beginning of this thread, that in order to install 9.02 I need the new editor, which doesn't really exist yet? Or did I misread that?
(hell, I don't even have the existing editor though I'm sure it's linked here somewhere)
I just got my Ultra in December and have been running around like a maniac to just try getting in front of the learning curve before I start dancing through the aisles grabbing stuff..
Nope. It's just a sysex file. SendSX, Midi-Ox, Sysex Librarian on Mac, Lars's old editor or any installment of Axe-Edit should do fine.

What is there to grab in aisles... And which aisles are you referring to?

Dutch said:
grumpops said:

Nope. It's just a sysex file. SendSX, Midi-Ox, Sysex Librarian on Mac, Lars's old editor or any installment of Axe-Edit should do fine.

What is there to grab in aisles... And which aisles are you referring to?

Ok, so I failed metaphor school..lol
I was just talking about getting into the nuts and bolts of the various sounds and playing with them....of course, there is an arguement to make that tweaking and going EWWW, and then tweaking again till you hear what you like is half the fun.

And thanks on the answer by the way.

FractalAudio said:
Radley said:
Thank you Cliff! I'm out of town at the moment, but I can't wait to try the 9.02 update - the new compression options sound excellent!

I did the compressor mostly for you.
Folks, I believe what Cliff is saying is that I sent him a carefully worded & detailed description of what I believed would make the AFX's compression stellar, and he has apparently noted that effort by making some intelligent & creative changes (some of which exceeded what I had suggested). Cliff knows I am a big proponent of expressive/flexible Compression -- the amazing thing is that he has made so many improvements to the AFX compressors over the last 6 months alone!

This is an incredible demonstration of both Fractal's dedication and 'technical wizardry', and even though I haven't had a chance to try 9.02 yet, I must applaud the relentless effort that goes into the AFX's developement on a daily basis. I look forward to trying the new/improved Amp models as well! :cool:

Again, thank you Cliff!

Radley said:
FractalAudio said:
Radley said:
Thank you Cliff! I'm out of town at the moment, but I can't wait to try the 9.02 update - the new compression options sound excellent!

Folks, I believe what Cliff is saying is that I sent him a carefully worded & detailed description of what I believed would make the AFX's compression stellar, and he has apparently noted that effort by making some intelligent & creative changes (some of which exceeded what I had suggested). Cliff knows I am a big proponent of expressive/flexible Compression -- the amazing thing is that he has made so many improvements to it over the last 6 months alone!

This is an incredible demonstration of both Fractal's dedication and 'technical wizardry', and even though I haven't had a chance to try 9.02 yet, I must applaud the relentless effort that goes into the AFX's developement on a daily basis. I look forward to trying the new/improved Amp models as well! :cool:

Again, thank you Cliff!

Hey Radley, could you post some patches you use or even some recordings you did with the axe fx? I'm always interested in how real studio musicians deal with good sound equipment, and judging by your posts you have some very good ears and a really good understanding of how effects should be used and can be improved... it's just a request :D But it's ok if you can't fulfill my request, whatever reason there may be...

Radley said:
FractalAudio said:
Radley said:

Folks, I believe what Cliff is saying is that I sent him a carefully worded & detailed description of what I believed would make the AFX's compression stellar, and he has apparently noted that effort by making some intelligent & creative changes (some of which exceeded what I had suggested). Cliff knows I am a big proponent of expressive/flexible Compression -- the amazing thing is that he has made so many improvements to the AFX compressors over the last 6 months alone!

Again, thank you Cliff!

Hey, if it's as good as the Reverb suggestions you had then we are all in good hands.

:D

Sorry for this off, but as some of you may be know, I'm French and I try to translate release_notes files on each new firmware to write a news on a famous French website.
I said "try to translate" ;)...
I meet many difficulties because of the use of some special terms that I don't know how it can translate.

One of them on the last version is "chimier". :(

So, is anybody can describe my what is "Chimier"? ;)

Thank you very much.

Spawn-X said:
Sorry for this off, but as some of you may be know, I'm French and I try to translate release_notes files on each new firmware to write a news on a famous French website.
I meet many difficulties because of the use of some special terms that I don't know how it can translate.

Thank you very much.
Chimier isn't a real word => more chime => a more bell-like, resonant tone.

Spawn-X said:

Thank you very much.

"Chimier" is an invented English word that means "more like a chime."

Traduit en français, ça signifie «carilloner», ou bien «faire sonner comme une cloche».

Just got back home & gave 9.02 a quick try before relaxing for bed - I believe I like everything better :cool:

I will do more with the new compressor features over the weekend, but so far, I think the Amps sound great and noticably more realistic. I really don't understand all the concern about the extra highs/sheen - I find it very easy to tame the highs with any amp model I've tried and I believe these effortless highs are what have been missing! :cool:

To be continued....

im pumped out of my mind for a new "compressor tips with Radley" session, you really help me bring the best out of my fx... you know that makes you super cool right?

xrist04 said:
"Chimier" is an invented English word that means "more like a chime."

Traduit en français, ça signifie «carilloner», ou bien «faire sonner comme une cloche».
Merci Xrist. Je pensais bien avoir compris le sens du mot, mais je ne vois pas bien à quoi ça correspond d'un point de vu "réponse de l'ampli".
Thank you Xrist. I thing I understood the term "chimier" as "like a chime", but I don't see what is it mean on the amp tone.

Es-tu français exilé?

FWIW - I tend to think of a 'chimey' high end as having a emphasis bump around a particular frequency (5k, 6.8k, 8k etc), whereas a typical 'treble' response tends to be boosted equally from 2k to 20k.

jhuggins said:
im pumped out of my mind for a new "compressor tips with Radley" session, you really help me bring the best out of my fx... you know that makes you super cool right?

+1

Compressor is the effect I have the least grasp on. I'd love to get some good starting points and tips on the new one.

FractalAudio said:
The whole reason the Engl models weren't included is because the schematics are not accurate. Engl intentionally distributes schematics with wrong values and errors in them. Some users sent me schematics but they were the same as the schematics I already had that contain errors.

I entered the values from the Engl schematics and it sounded terrible. I knew it would because many of the values didn't make sense but I tried anyway. Without accurate data I can't model an amp.

The Orange Rockerverb is on my list of amps to model but I simply haven't had the time.

@Cliff, first of all I'd like to kindly say thank you for taking the time and patience to replying to this message. I very much appreciate your support for the user community, as well as the effort put into your products. Thank you also for spending some time with the Savage schematic. I will try to help Mosh with the shipping bill to send the actual unit to you for modeling, and hopefully you will be able to revisit at some point.

People seem to jump straight to conclusions, without grasping the whole story. You obviously could jump to the conclusion that I'm a spoiled brat crying because I didn't get what I asked for Christmas. You could also argue that updates are free and as such, they should not be criticized.

My one and only complaint was that what was on top of the wish list was not Cliff's priority. I honestly believe that Fractal Audio is a user-driven company, so I was surprised to see something that didn't match their regular user feedback incorporation modus operandi, and expresed it in this forum in order to find out if others felt the same way.

What I got instead was a stream of posts defending Cliff's choice, and stating that the updates are free.

To all those who mentioned the free price as a factor for discouraging criticism, I encourage you to read Chris Anderson's book Free, the future of prices. Cliff offers updates for free, but he benefits from it by counting on us to act as voluntary salesmen for the AxeFX, and also the new firmware updates get the unit better, thus potentially conquering new adepts. Just because something is free, it doesn't mean you have to take it how it is, and while i want to make clear that I am NOT questioning the quality of the updates provided, but only giving a short explanation on why you are still paying for the product, even if i is sill free.

To the ones telling me to stop questioning Cliff's decisions, I strongly believe that he has the right to bend the product to his own will, but so do I as a customer have the right of giving him feedback about what was expected.

Why did this post turn into a flame war I do not know, as I have not criticized the update itself, but only the lack of attention to user feedback when picking new features.

Next time I may end up just sending Cliff an email, I'm sure it will have a much less negaive response.

Comment:

IMHO, if this board has a fault, it is in generally opting for the status quo. When I first came here, I felt like every suggestion I made was shot down before it was given fair consideration. There were always reasons why things should remain the same & why new ideas should be rejected. I think it would be good if we could try to be a bit more open to new ideas (not to be confused with bad ideas).

Radley, what do you think of the reworked compressor, now that you had the time to try it? Myself, I'm very pleased, no more explosive initial attack when I start playing after a few seconds of silence

the look ahead function really improves the compressor
something like my uad com/lim
a brick wall limiter is now close at hand
and a tube compressor might be possible in the end
if not as a compressor block maybe as an amp block

Back
Top Bottom