ULTRA FIRMWARE 11.0 MAY 9 2011

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 9.02 FEB 12 2009

Cliff spoils us, and i hope that never stops, but i can tell you in all the years I've purchased gear, including effects units, I've never had this level of service, and from the looks of it, Cliff is just getting warmed up:D

If anything, I think Cliff works too hard and gives us too many choices.

I'm still a bit overwhelmed with all the amp options as it is... just craving some easy orange and appetite fo' d sounds

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 9.01

Just an alternate point of view - Part of being a software developer in any industry that's successful is not just about chasing the perpetual trail of user requests - it's actually thinking a few steps ahead. Innovation doesn't happen by chasing feature requests endlessly - you'll never be anything but one step behind. Development comes down to having vision, resources in dev time and the needed equipment etc. If Alan made resources available to Cliff and he thought it added significant value to the product and ended up being a low bandwidth project to complete - then it's a win/win compared to purchasing/borrowing a different amp and starting from scratch and holding a release up past it's schedule for this or that feature. It's very easy to play this game and end up having a release 1x a year because you don't adhere to a cutoff point for features.

I'd wager most of the people on this board have no idea the timeframe that goes into development and how features are logged for development months if not years in advance depending on the commitment involved for said update/feature etc. Not to mention working on multiple hardware projects simultaneously - and prob new stuff no one even knows about. So as much as people may piss and moan about 'their' feature not being included in a release - it's not personal. And personally, the tweaks Cliff did to this release speaks to me way more about improving the overall integrity of the unit and improving sound QUALITY. So as much as some people may want 900 different Amps in the unit - I'd rather have sonic excellence in way less. I think I use 3 amp sims total? I can dig how some people want to collect every amp out there like some quest in a video game, but I'll take updates like this every time over just adding models. But I'm probably in the minority.

So I haven't installed it yet, I will after I finish the next 11 days of gigs, but I love the direction this one has headed. It speaks maturity of features to me. But like Cliff said, no good deed goes unpunished. Except he said 'dead' instead. -Oh man, talk about a Freudian Clit.

Alex EShadow said:
Added “CarolAnn OD2” amp model. Based on the OD2 amplifier designed by Alan Phillips of Carol-Ann Amplifiers, LLC.

Weird thing I don't see ANY Carol Ann sim requests on the amp sim wishlist. Where's our ENGL Savage 120, or the Orange people have been asking for? :cry:

Anyway thanks for the rework on the Fender amp sims, AND the Bright Switch improvement Cliff =D. Can't wait for the standard FW to come out so I can test them.

Best,

Alex

digitalwaveform said:
Just an alternate point of view - Part of being a software developer in any industry that's successful is not just about chasing the perpetual trail of user requests - it's actually thinking a few steps ahead. Innovation doesn't happen by chasing feature requests endlessly - you'll never be anything but one step behind. Development comes down to having vision, resources in dev time and the needed equipment etc. If Alan made resources available to Cliff and he thought it added significant value to the product and ended up being a low bandwidth project to complete - then it's a win/win compared to purchasing/borrowing a different amp and starting from scratch and holding a release up past it's schedule for this or that feature. It's very easy to play this game and end up having a release 1x a year because you don't adhere to a cutoff point for features.

Well, I'm a software developer as well, for the last 10 years, and while I do agree that limiting features -http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch05_Start_With_No.php - and having a vision does make a difference in coming up with a truly innovative product, I can't help but object that after 3 months, which for Fractal Audio is quite an unusually large time frame between updates (yes, I'm spoiled, blame Cliff :mrgreen: ), SINCE Cliff worked on a new amp model, he didn't take the feature requests in to consideration, even with like... 30 users asking for the ENGL Savage, 10 users asking for the Orange sims, and some 20 users asking for more bass amps. We've been reminding him constantly, so http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch05_F ... quests.php applies. What you said about the cutoff point, can be related to http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch05_C ... dle_It.php.

digitalwaveform said:
I'd wager most of the people on this board have no idea the timeframe that goes into development and how features are logged for development months if not years in advance depending on the commitment involved for said update/feature etc. Not to mention working on multiple hardware projects simultaneously - and prob new stuff no one even knows about. So as much as people may piss and moan about 'their' feature not being included in a release - it's not personal.

It's not a personal request, just check the amp sim wishlist. Again, we're talking about an unusually long iteration for Fractal Audio and the Axe, since we sometimes get 2 updates on a single month, and this one took 3 months. Don't get me wrong, 9.0 was freaking awesome, and 9.02 brings some more on top of that, the improved high end on the high gain models is awesome, as are the reworked Fenders. I just don't see why effort was put into modelling an amp which:

1 - Cliff only had schematics for, not the actual unit
2 - Was not even MENTIONED on the AxeFX forum at all before its inclusion
3 - Ended up with the model tone being rated 5.5/10 by the original amp maker
4 - Is similar to a lot of other boutique amps in the AxeFX.

digitalwaveform said:
And personally, the tweaks Cliff did to this release speaks to me way more about improving the overall integrity of the unit and improving sound QUALITY. So as much as some people may want 900 different Amps in the unit - I'd rather have sonic excellence in way less. I think I use 3 amp sims total? I can dig how some people want to collect every amp out there like some quest in a video game, but I'll take updates like this every time over just adding models. But I'm probably in the minority.

Did 9.02 improve sound Quality? Hell yes, and I'm glad it did. I don't seem to even need the early reflection reverb on all my patches to make it sound more realistic. Subject in question is that he DID add an Amp, but chose one that no one was asking for, while there was a clear path in the wishlist for the amps I mentioned.

Honestly, I personally only use some 5 models and am quite happy with them, specially after the 9.02 changes.

digitalwaveform said:
So I haven't installed it yet, I will after I finish the next 11 days of gigs, but I love the direction this one has headed. It speaks maturity of features to me. But like Cliff said, no good deed goes unpunished. Except he said 'dead' instead. -Oh man, talk about a Freudian Clit.
You should, as Tenacious D said... It will rock your socks off
Edit: Double pasted the post

@Alex EShadow: You do get it that these upgrades are free? Can you imagine how many amp requests developers at digidesign get for their eleven rack product and they still only have 16 amps? One also has to consider that digidesign is much bigger than fractal audio systems, means that much more people are working on their product, and they still can't deliver an update after already one year. And here you get it in periods of maximum 3 months and you still complain because Cliff hasn't included an Engl Savage or an Orange amp?

Here is my assessment why Cliff has chosen the Carol Ann OD2r amplifier: The first reason is that he got accurate schematics from the guy who designed it. Second reason is that this guy is not far away from Cliff, given that he really lives in NH (New Hampshire), and he could easily send Cliff a unit to verify the sound/schematics. Third reason is that this Amp is different than the other boutique amplifiers, because Steve Ouimette said so. The premier guitar review i posted was written by Steve and I'm sure, Steve knows Tone, he has played tons of 1959, 2203, 1987, 2555, orange, vox, egnater, diamond, mojave, trainwreck... etc. amps and when he says that the carol ann is really different than ANY other boutique amplifier it's got to be true. Fourth reason is the versatility of this amp. It's meant to cover a lot of tonal ground, from classic rock to grinding metal tones, everything should be there, and although the Axe-FX Carol Ann still lacks gain and note definition, I'm optimistic that it will soon be fixed once Cliff receives the real deal od2r for testing purposes.

I think those are enough reasons to add a Carol Ann amp model to the collection.

Now you're asking yourself why he still hasn't added a 2555 or a Engl, even though there's popular demand for it? Maybe he will model these amps in the future and maybe he was thinking that the Carol Ann fills a tonal gap (in between a trainwreck and a marshall) in the Axe-FX much more than an Engl or a 2555 does. And I think this Carol Ann modeling was more a spontaneous thing than anything else... just the right conditions at the right time.

I still can't believe how anyone can be upset about a free amp sim, because he didn't get another free amp sim...

Still one point I have to make: Considering how different the Carol Ann sounds in the Axe-Fx compared to the original (5.5 out of 10) though it's been modeled after the original amp scheme, I don't think you'd be very happy with the results Cliff would get out of a so-so and maybe totally inaccurate Engl schematic...

Anyways, I just think you're overreacting... it's ok to wish and suggest things, but it's definitely not ok to be impatient, if you look at the first paragraph of my reply you'll know why, and to even criticize a free service...

i kind of feel both sides of this.

On one hand you have a situation where a kid is begging his mom for a new bike for christmas every day from january 1st, and then X-mas rolls around a he gets a brand new sweater.
Thats probably how alot of guys feel. like, thanks mom for the sweater, it really is nice... but i really wanted a bike.

On the other hand, this is CLIFF's products, HIS machine, HIS dreams and ambitions are tied up the most in it.
His buddy made an awesome amp. He has the rare opportunity to actually work with the original designer to get the amp right, and its obviously a sound that is near to his heart.

The free part doesn't really feel valid to me. The axe-fx isnt cheap. The only reason i paid this money is because i knew it would be an evolving product. I would have never paid $1500 for a static, un-evolving amp modeller. So the way i see it, i have indeed payed cliff for these updates.

But in the end he's put his heart in soul into this project, so he gets to make the choice to follow his fancy as regards development. Hes earned that right.

Frankly as long as he keep striving towards perfection like he is, im happy. even if it takes 3 years to get that orange model.
~mike~

Sup?

As much as I want and have begged for the Savage and have thrown the request up a couple of times to kinda keep it out there, even sent in MY schematics,,I have to 100% totally agree with the post JOKER just made. Its exactly what I think about the whole update deal and,,,well,,,everything,,, except I didn't have to type it.

As far as the Savage goes,,,from what I understand,, all the schematics that are circulating,,,MINE,,,yours,, House of Engl,,and the ones supposedly are direct from ENGL,,are more than likely WRONG,,,on Purpose from ENGL to hinder people dicking with their design. They know that they cant stop it,,but why make it easier. I spoke face to face with a certified ENGL tech. once when I was traveling and he told me that there are correct schems. out there but most are published wrong and they actually instruct the techs. on what is different.

I asked him,,,,,, well,,whats different? and he said he couldn't tell me due to business reasons. and I Respect that,,,,it didn't help my cause, but I respect that all the same.

I'd rather wait for the accurate simm done right then a big guess be made just to pacify the request no matter how bad I want the Savage,,,and I do. but It will get done when it gets done If it gets done. I'm just grateful as hell for the fact the thing is still evolving,,,for free, no less. Hell if it stopped right now it is still the best rig on the planet.

As far as the CA goes , like joker said I guess it fills a gap, or spontaneous,, right cond. right time,,etc... Shit, Maybe Cliff just likes the thing,,,whatever,,,the way I see it,,,, cool a new sim,, I've never heard of it,,,,but I'll be checking it out more for the tool that it is and can be used for. I'm not really disappointed that the sims I want are not in the update,, I'm glad the CA is what it is,,,,,and what that is, is the fact that it is NOT another Marshall, Mesa, or Fender. We have SHITLOADS of the Big three as it is and those are even getting tweaked so that they are getting scary good that they cover allot of in between ground between models. As it stands right now, If you cant take the given range of one of the big three's models and tweak it within 90% of the common ground between the product line,,,that "Just one more" probably won't get you there either.

As far as the 3 month thing goes,,,, well seeing how 9.0 was a pretty big rewrite and hit right there in NOV(?) that only leaves like a month to getshit tightened up to go to the NAMM scene like the Atomic's coming on line, the work on the pedalboard,, the holidays,,etc and if you subtract that time period from the 3 months,,and move it back to when Vers. 9.0 came out it seems to me that Cliff is on par with time he has been putting out all the other updates.
Business still has to happen no matter how much candy we are use to getting,, ya know :roll:

Anyway,, thanks for the great update Cliff :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

digitalwaveform said:

I'd wager most of the people on this board have no idea the timeframe that goes into development and how features are logged for development months if not years in advance depending on the commitment involved for said update/feature etc. Not to mention working on multiple hardware projects simultaneously - and prob new stuff no one even knows about. So as much as people may piss and moan about 'their' feature not being included in a release - it's not personal. And personally, the tweaks Cliff did to this release speaks to me way more about improving the overall integrity of the unit and improving sound QUALITY. So as much as some people may want 900 different Amps in the unit - I'd rather have sonic excellence in way less. I think I use 3 amp sims total? I can dig how some people want to collect every amp out there like some quest in a video game, but I'll take updates like this every time over just adding models. But I'm probably in the minority.
+1
I'm totally with you. QUALITY over QUANTITY!
I don't think we are in the minority!

I'm with Joker and Moshwitz, however I do understand that Digitalwaveform was providing an alternative view upfront, which is also fair.

I'm completely happy to have such an update so close after NAMM. Hell, Christmas was only a few months ago and he did mention in a thread that one of his relatives was not well recently, so I'm happy that Cliff has had a break and kindly given us an amp model that is probably closest to his heart. I'm sure he really enjoyed creating the CA. He's also reworked the Fender sims which many people were requesting and also worked on the compression.

Remember, a Wish List is just a Wish List. Lot's of times Santa never gave me that brand new strat I long for, but I had to get over it and hold out for next year... :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I'm still wishing for stuff, but it'll happen in good time, and if it doesn't then life is still good!

Cheers

voes said:
digitalwaveform said:

+1
I'm totally with you. QUALITY over QUANTITY!
I don't think we are in the minority!

Quantity of features & tones - worth what you paid in the first place
Ongoing improvements to quality of sound - priceless.

The whole reason the Engl models weren't included is because the schematics are not accurate. Engl intentionally distributes schematics with wrong values and errors in them. Some users sent me schematics but they were the same as the schematics I already had that contain errors.

I entered the values from the Engl schematics and it sounded terrible. I knew it would because many of the values didn't make sense but I tried anyway. Without accurate data I can't model an amp.

The Orange Rockerverb is on my list of amps to model but I simply haven't had the time.

If I may "chime" in. I would personally rather see Cliff's valuable time spent improving what he has already modeled ( as he just did with the Fender stuff) rather than adding new amps.

I mean how many different amps do you really need anyway?

Better to have ten great than 50 so so IMHO.

zentman said:
If I may "chime" in. I would personally rather see Cliff's valuable time spent improving what he has already modeled ( as he just did with the Fender stuff) rather than adding new amps.

I mean how many different amps do you really need anyway?

Better to have ten great than 50 so so IMHO.

very good point . Even the bogner model benefitted greatly from the extra TLC, and im definitely glad to have that over a crappy engl model.
---------
And the schematics cliff ... that certainly makes it clear why you could choose the the carol ann model. You KNOW the schematics are correct, cuz you can call the dude up and ask him yourself lol =).

It is nice to know that some day the orange will be here. Im happy just knowing its a work in progress even if its a year or more off.
~mx~

For some reason i like engl even less now. I already felt all of their amps were overpriced (you have to spend 2 grand just to get independent EQ's and then they rape you for a $400 footswitch) , but purposely sending out bad schematics? Thats the sort of thing the RIAA would do. (im oh so anti riaa). Its their right to do , but i will definitely never be an engl customer.
~mx~

SUP? :mrgreen:

FractalAudio said:
The whole reason the Engl models weren't included is because the schematics are not accurate. Engl intentionally distributes schematics with wrong values and errors in them. Some users sent me schematics but they were the same as the schematics I already had that contain errors.

I entered the values from the Engl schematics and it sounded terrible. I knew it would because many of the values didn't make sense but I tried anyway. Without accurate data I can't model an amp.

And You just heard it from the Man himself,,just like I was saying here,,,

moshwitz said:

As far as the Savage goes,,,from what I understand,, all the schematics that are circulating,,,MINE,,,yours,, House of Engl,,and the ones supposedly are direct from ENGL,,are more than likely WRONG,,,on Purpose from ENGL to hinder people dicking with their design. They know that they cant stop it,,but why make it easier. I spoke face to face with a certified ENGL tech. once when I was traveling and
he told me that there are correct schems. out there but most are published wrong and they actually instruct the techs. on what is different.

I'm grateful for all the work that {STILL} goes into the Axe and would rather have something that I don't know about, that's right or reworkd and is awesome,,then a disadvantaged (inaccurate schems.) guess at something that I would really want.

Hell If I wasn't currently broke as shit from( among other things) this,, trying to get our granddaughter custody thing,,I would have already boxed up my Savage and shipped it to Cliff already to go over it with the fine tooth comb and do whatever he needed to do to it to get the model happening in a heartbeat. If all the people Really wanting the Savage want to pitch together and flip the shipping bill :?: :roll: , and Cliff wants the thing to look at, Well,,,,,there you go,,best I can do :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

Cliff/Fractal, in my opinion, you have absolutely no need to explain yourselves in any way. The service we receive from you is so far above anything else, its not even a comparison that can be made. Unfortunately, it is also human nature to eventually take this level of service for granted.

From those of that do not take your dedication and continual delivery of upgrades and additional features and improvements for granted, thank you!

P.S. I played around with the new CA OD amp and love it! I don't care if its not 100% exactly like the original. Would make absolutely no difference to me if it was since I never played the original and also likely never heard it. I dialed in a tone I liked using what was there to offer in the Axe itself and go from there. Like I said, I think it sounds great!

Awesome work here Cliff/Fractal!

FractalAudio said:

The Orange Rockerverb is on my list of amps to model but I simply haven't had the time.

So there's your answer why. This is probably true for other amp models as well. We don't know how much time it takes Cliff to model an amp and when he does model an amp like the Engl, and finds the schematic worthless after spending countless hours on it, must be frustrating! :x
It's a great thing to have a company like FAS put their time and dedication into making new/improved updates, some of which are done by request of the users here. Yeah sure, there are some amps I'd like to see added but most of those amps/tones can be closely emmulated with the current line up we have. If Cliff ever adds these amps or not is fine with me. Like others have said on this topic, I'm into the "QUALITY over quantity" and that's what it seams Cliff is doing.(e.g. improving existing amps)

moshwitz said:
I would have already boxed up my Savage and shipped it to Cliff already to go over it with the fine tooth comb and do whatever he needed to do to it to get the model happening in a heartbeat. If all the people Really wanting the Savage want to pitch together and flip the shipping bill :?: :roll: , and Cliff wants the thing to look at, Well,,,,,there you go,,best I can do.
That's a great idea, Mosh!

Thank you Cliff! I'm out of town at the moment, but I can't wait to try the 9.02 update - the new compression options sound excellent!

Radley said:
Thank you Cliff! I'm out of town at the moment, but I can't wait to try the 9.02 update - the new compression options sound excellent!

I did the compressor mostly for you.

FractalAudio said:
Radley said:

I did the compressor mostly for you.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Mind trip!

In a good way of course! I'd be tripping if Cliff redesigned a whole block because of me and even admitted it in public! Cliff, you're amazing!

Edit: Deleted drivel.

Back
Top Bottom