ULTRA FIRMWARE 11.0 MAY 9 2011

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 6.10+ PRESET UPDATED as of (6.10) & MANUAL

Thank you for your effort but: File not found.
I guess they have been removed for some reason...
What exactly has been updated in the presets?

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.00+ PRESETS UPDATED as of (7.0)

http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... ra7_00.zip

The presets have also been updated:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankA.syx
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankB.syx
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/V ... _BankC.syx

NOTE: IF UPGRADING FROM 6.07 OR EARLIER THE NEW INPUT VOLUME CONTROL WILL LIKELY NEED TO BE RESET AFTER INSTALLATION OF THE FIRMWARE. SET TO “NONE” TO DEFEAT THIS FEATURE. YOU MAY NEED TO POWER CYCLE THE UNIT AFTER RESETTING THIS PARAMETER.

Added Input Diffusion and Diffusion Time parameters to Reverb. The input diffuser can be used to thicken the reverb tail and delay the onset of the decay. This improves intelligibility and reduces clutter while improving overall reverb sound. Diffusion has been renamed “Wall Diffusion” as this more correctly describes its function

Increased Tuner display filtering slightly.

Fixed active tonestack midrange controls not working properly for some models.

Fixed Mixer not responding properly to Enter button.

Added code to clear Delay block if previous preset was looper and Delay Spill is on.

Totally reworked power amp modeling. New power amp model is tighter and more defined than before with more “character” and responsiveness.

Added Power Amp Bias control (PWR TUBE BIAS in Advanced menu). This parameter can be used to fine-tune the virtual power tubes’ bias points. A value of zero corresponds to full Class B operation. A value of one corresponds to full Class A operation. Values in between are therefore Class AB. For traditional Class AB power amps (i.e. Marshall, Fender, etc.) a value of 0.35 is considered the “optimum” bias point. For traditional Class A amps, (which aren’t really true Class A, i.e. Vox, Matchless, etc.) a setting of 0.75 corresponds to the typical bias value these amps are run at. Lower values of bias increase the amount of crossover distortion, add “hair” to the sound and make the power amp more “explosive” since the transfer function slope increases with input level. Higher values of bias yield less distortion, “rounder” sound, more linear response and a more compressed feel. At high Master Volume settings the effect of bias may be subtle. As the Master Volume is turned down the audible effect is more pronounced. Increasing the Damping increases the linearity of the power amp and also serves to reduce the audible effect of the bias control.

Added “USA MIIC+” models. Both are lead channel models. First model is with pull bright off, second with it on.

Added “Fryer D60” amp models. The “L” is with the gain switch in the Less position, “M” in the More position.

Added “Mr. Z 38 SR” amp model.

Added “Euro Uber” amp model.

Added “PVH 5105” amp model. High-gain input, lead channel modeled.

Tweaked Recto models slightly. Tightened up bass slightly.

Added “M-Zone Dist” drive model.

Im new to updating the firmware. What are my pros and cons to updating all the banks? and like I dont want to update bank A because thats where most of my presets that if changed up are. What are the major differences in terms of the presets and what differences in sound am I going to notice in my presets that wont be being updated just from the new firmware?

lemon67 said:
Im new to updating the firmware. What are my pros and cons to updating all the banks? and like I dont want to update bank A because thats where most of my presets that if changed up are. What are the major differences in terms of the presets and what differences in sound am I going to notice in my presets that wont be being updated just from the new firmware?
Firmware and factory presets are two different things. Upgrading the firmware does nothing to the presets except change some parameters and add some. Those parameters have their defaults. In principle you should not have to upload the new banks. If you want the new factory banks you will have to load them seperately. In principle that can be done via sysex program. The banks have an identifier to tell them where to go, you can just send them with sendsx of whatever sysex thingy you use.

It's always good practice to first backup your own banks before updating.

Although, I've been debating myself if I should update. I'd just been reviewing all the factory presets and weeding the weeds out, now I might have to do that all over. My own presets all sound great.

I realize everyone is quite busy, but I would like to join the fun so need to ask a few questions.

1) Will a firmware-only 7.0 update from 6.02 cause trouble if my banks in the Axe are ordered by amplifier type and also include some from axechange? I assembled this arrangement from the editor one by one, and have not loaded these custom banks back to the editor. Do I need to do that for any reason before I update? I do plan to update the editor first - from 6.01

2) Is it correct to assume that a few of the 7.0 presets include new amp models - so they would not appear with a firmware only update... but these amps would be found within existing amp blocks?

Thank you

widrace said:
I realize everyone is quite busy, but I would like to join the fun so need to ask a few questions.

1) Will a firmware-only 7.0 update from 6.02 cause trouble if my banks in the Axe are ordered by amplifier type and also include some from axechange? I assembled this arrangement from the editor one by one, and have not loaded these custom banks back to the editor. Do I need to do that for any reason before I update? I do plan to update the editor first - from 6.01
You shouldn't need to rearrange your presets when updating the firmware. It's a good idea to back them up, just in case, but not actually necessary.

widrace said:
2) Is it correct to assume that a few of the 7.0 presets include new amp models - so they would not appear with a firmware only update... but these amps would be found within existing amp blocks?

Thank you
I don't think any of the 7.00 presets include new amp models (I could be wrong, I haven't even opened any of the updated presets). The new amps are in the firmware update though, so in short...

Yes, just update to 7.00, ignore the updated presets, and you're good. :)

(If you do try the updated presets, they will override your custom-assembled arrangement and replace the presets currently existing on your unit.)

godprobe said:
I don't think any of the 7.00 presets include new amp models (I could be wrong, I haven't even opened any of the updated presets). The new amps are in the firmware update though, so in short...

I did see two in Bank C. There was one for the Dr. Z amp (possibly in Bank B) and for the VHT/Freyette Deliverance cleverly named "Ned Beatty".

Thank you!

So... looks like maintaining my re-ordering upon every update will cause some problems in identifying, locating and placing Cliffs new presets to a certain locale. I suppose that's at least one reason why many folks reserve Bank A for one's own presets and axechange goodies. Does Cliff refrain from putting new presets in bank A for this reason?

Am I missing something here or would it be best to dump my re-order thing? I'm not yet an editor wiz by any means.

mworkman said:
godprobe said:
I did see two in Bank C. There was one for the Dr. Z amp (possibly in Bank B) and for the VHT/Freyette Deliverance cleverly named "Ned Beatty".
Dangit... that means I'm gonna have to load up the new presets and try 'em then! I haven't done that in a while! :)

widrace said:
Am I missing something here or would it be best to dump my re-order thing? I'm not yet an editor wiz by any means.
If you're just using the factory presets, then yeah, I'd give up on the ordering for now. :)
Ideally, if I had the time, I think what I would do is load up the updated presets and Axechange presets into bank C, and slowly matriculate them into Bank B, being very picky about which ones I kept, leaving Bank A for my own experiments. But that's me. Whatever you decide to do is good as long as it works for you.

godprobe said:
Ideally, if I had the time, I think what I would do is load up the updated presets and Axechange presets into bank C, and slowly matriculate them into Bank B, being very picky about which ones I kept, leaving Bank A for my own experiments. But that's me. Whatever you decide to do is good as long as it works for you.

That's what I did when 6.x + reworked presets were out, and what I started doing again today.

That method makes good sense to me so I'm going with it, thanks guys.

To do it this way, must there be a method or manner which would allow me to pre-determine that a preset has a significant update like 7.0 does, be able to find it's lonesome self somewhere and dump it where I want in the axe like an axechange patch? Otherwise, I'm thinking you have to individually dump all three banks into C, fish through each one to find the preset(s). I'd be writing over the axechange presets kept in Bank C too. How do you guys deal with that?

I suppose that's the last of the questions I should ask in this thread, as the 7.0 content is diminishing.

widrace said:
To do it this way, must there be a method or manner which would allow me to pre-determine that a preset has a significant update like 7.0 does, be able to find it's lonesome self somewhere and dump it where I want in the axe like an axechange patch?
You *can* extract individual patches from the banks with the Editor. But I don't think there's a way to auto-identify patches with significant updates.

widrace said:
Otherwise, I'm thinking you have to individually dump all three banks into C, fish through each one to find the preset(s). I'd be writing over the axechange presets kept in Bank C too. How do you guys deal with that?

I suppose that's the last of the questions I should ask in this thread, as the 7.0 content is diminishing.
I'd probably go through the three new banks while hooked up to the Editor, rather than go through the process of loading each bank to the Axe-Fx. I'm not sure what you're asking about the Axechange presets; I'd just move them to another bank, and would also suggest keeping a copy on your computer so you can have a collection of your favorite individual presets.

Anyone got a list of the new presets using the new amps?
Be nice to have a few of Cliff's presets showing off his new creations.

vaxed said:
Anyone got a list of the new presets using the new amps?
Be nice to have a few of Cliff's presets showing off his new creations.

I'll drink to that, Cliffs presets seem to work nearly out of the box for my rig.

widrace said:
Thank you!

So... looks like maintaining my re-ordering upon every update will cause some problems in identifying, locating and placing Cliffs new presets to a certain locale. I suppose that's at least one reason why many folks reserve Bank A for one's own presets and axechange goodies. Does Cliff refrain from putting new presets in bank A for this reason?

Changed presets in Ultra bank A:
In 7.00: #68 : Modern Eddie. (PVH model) Used to be Hell Beast.
In 7.00: #115 : Uber, shall we. Used to be Energyball.
In 6.xx: #79 : Circular delay. Used to be Dueling Leslies.
In 6.xx: #85 : Dreamverb. Used to be Tin Pan Alley.

Cliff does does not refrain from putting new presets in Bank A. I did not check inside the other presets to see if the amps were changed...

Back
Top Bottom