Ultra direct track beat out mic'ed cab in studio today...

guittarzzan

Inspired
I was in a local studio today to have one of my songs mixed and did a little blind test on the mix engineer. The song has a lead part that plays throughout the choruses and I recorded a direct track from the Ultra and also two tracks from real mics and cab etc. I told the ME I just wanted him to pick what he liked the best and I'd tell him about how the tracks were recorded later. It took him about 30 seconds and he deleted the two tracks done with mics.
The signal chain for the live tracks was: Ultra-Randall Rt2/50 tube power amp running 6l6's-Mesa 2x12-AEA R84 and SM 57 mics-Vintech X73's-Empirical Labs Distressors-Anamod-UA 2192-Pro Tools
The signal chain for the direct track was: Ultra analog out-Vintech X73-Distressors-Anamod-UA 2192-Pro Tools.

I liked the direct track better too, but I didn't tell him that until he made his choice. I don't think the direct tracks will beat out the live mic set up every time, but I think it's pretty cool that we have a box that can sound great going direct.

The engineer said he thought all the guitar tracks sounded great. All the electrics were done with the Axefx so that was cool. It's not a heavy or shred tune like a lot of the clips I see here, but it had a lot of guitar parts and the Axefx did great. I'll post the tune in about a week when it gets mastered. Just thought I'd share my little experience today.

cheers,
Steve

Re: Ultra direct track beat out mic'ed cab in studio today..

That's pretty cool.All my direct stuff (that's all I do) sounds great. I mean the recorded sound, not me :) For me, shredding all sounds the same/ Love hearing Andreas, Xavi, and the like. The Cardinal also. I look forward to hearing the tracks!

Back
Top Bottom