UK guys: How about a Zilla FRFR Cab/Wedge.

octatonic

Experienced
Hi guys,

I have been speaking to Paul at Zilla cabs about him building an alternative to the Atomic passive cabs.

He is not geared up for active cabs so this will be a passive cab.
My plan is to get a Matrix XT800 amp and have a pair of wedges or cabs (not decided yet).

12" full range (probably neodyn) speaker and a crossover with a 4" horn and 1" tweeter with a separate tweeter level control.

Look/feel will be more traditional than the Atomic cabs and I expect it to be a bit cheaper with a higher build quality.
I said to Paul I would gauge interest from you all.

Anyone interested in this (Paulmapp? Lighteningboy? etc) can either reply here or PM me.
This doesn't tie anyone in- he is going to do it for me regardless - but I think it would be good to gauge interest.

It is probably only cost effective for UK (or maybe EU) players.

I may be interested James. I have though on many occasion about getting an Atomic Passive cab, so I can either drive the traditional cab when I need the backline to be my main sound, or the FRFR cab for monitoring if I go into the PA. the big thing for me has been cost.

Well now Im pretty much set on the Matrix, the sale of the VHT should leave me a little (after some going into the house - I promised the missis).

I'm interested in a wedge design that has a metal grill. It's on the floor, facing me, so I want it to be strong to handle my foot if I hit the front by mistake. Style-wise, I'd like it to be more conservative and less retro-looking like the Atomic cabs. Think late 80's Mesa Boogie.

This is indeed relevent to my interests! (strokes Terry Thomas mustache for effect!).
For myself (and possibly others) the criteria would be (in no order), traditional guitar cab design, weight (light as poss), cost and sound. I think guys would love a 4x12 design. Been toying with the idea of a cab at the back and a couple of satellite 8" (ish) foldback monitors for in front of me on stage. Surround sound stylee! Probably sound pants though!! lol

Hi guys,

I have been speaking to Paul at Zilla cabs about him building an alternative to the Atomic passive cabs.

He is not geared up for active cabs so this will be a passive cab.
My plan is to get a Matrix XT800 amp and have a pair of wedges or cabs (not decided yet).

12" full range (probably neodyn) speaker and a crossover with a 4" horn and 1" tweeter with a separate tweeter level control.

Look/feel will be more traditional than the Atomic cabs and I expect it to be a bit cheaper with a higher build quality.
I said to Paul I would gauge interest from you all.

Anyone interested in this (Paulmapp? Lighteningboy? etc) can either reply here or PM me.
This doesn't tie anyone in- he is going to do it for me regardless - but I think it would be good to gauge interest.

It is probably only cost effective for UK (or maybe EU) players.

Do not forget these guys :mrgreen Good value for money and good service!
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/index.php/cat/c380_TTC-Guitar-Cabinets.html

got my normal 2x12 shipped to Belfast so I see no problem with Dublin TBH. You could always take a drive up and collect from me if not.

I'm interested in a wedge design that has a metal grill. It's on the floor, facing me, so I want it to be strong to handle my foot if I hit the front by mistake. Style-wise, I'd like it to be more conservative and less retro-looking like the Atomic cabs. Think late 80's Mesa Boogie.

Dude, you're reading my mind.
I have two of the 80's Mesa cabs, and I love that look. Carvin too if you can find those.
I'm waiting for two passive Atomics to come in the mail....and the first thing I'm going to do is pop the grill off and try to mount a Mesa style metal grill. When I get around to that, I'll post pics....

Dude, you're reading my mind.
I have two of the 80's Mesa cabs, and I love that look. Carvin too if you can find those.
I'm waiting for two passive Atomics to come in the mail....and the first thing I'm going to do is pop the grill off and try to mount a Mesa style metal grill. When I get around to that, I'll post pics....

Man! I would love to see the build process on that... The Mesa cabs of that period looked so cool! In wedge form, the sound will be even better since its hitting you directly and not your legs!

Remember this look? It kicked ass! In wedge form, it would be awesome....

Man! I would love to see the build process on that... The Mesa cabs of that period looked so cool! In wedge form, the sound will be even better since its hitting you directly and not your legs!

Remember this look? It kicked ass! In wedge form, it would be awesome....

I had those exact two cabs in my garage yesterday..!
I have a 4x12 as well....love that look.
I just made a trade though, got rid of one of my 2x12's to get some passive atomics.
I have a sheet of the grill metal at my house....going to cut two grills out and paint them up....!

I had those exact two cabs in my garage yesterday..!
I have a 4x12 as well....love that look.
I just made a trade though, got rid of one of my 2x12's to get some passive atomics.
I have a sheet of the grill metal at my house....going to cut two grills out and paint them up....!

Sweet! Wanna see this bad boy happen!

I'm definitely interested in this idea. Lightning Boy's been using Beymer full-range speakers to good effect, so I'd be interested in learning how the use of a horn and tweeter will improve things. I've got two horrendously heavy cabs loaded with 2x12 ancient but wonderful JBL E120's, and was wondering about adding a tweeter to these. Their freq response is much wider than normal guitar speakers - plus they handle 300 watts continuous at 103dB so are very loud. But they are very heavy, and I really like the light cab idea...

But most people seem to PEQ off the higher frequencies in their patches, so I'm not sure the extent to which horns would contribute. I'd be very interested in any thoughts on this, particularly as on stage sound needs to be more fully 'integrated' - avoiding harshness. LB was also talking most interestingly about having one Beymer and another speaker combined in each 2x12, to mellow-off harshness from the Beymers.

SO I guess the idea of the original post would be to replace the Beymers with the horns, plus a mid range guitar speaker.

I have not taken the processor step, I am really intrigued. At present I use Montage extension cabs and have found on the Lean Business site a 'head', a passive speaker and an active head/pa combination that use a Matrix amp. I can vouch for the extension cabs.
I hope this helps
http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/montage-guitar-cabinets-montage-amp-effects-cabs-c-105_152.html
Can I really get the sound of my 4x12 with Vintage 30's through a PA speaker??

I like the idea.

montage%20Guitar%20modulator%20combo.gif

The problem with the Montage head/combo cases is they seem to offer no protection for the front panel of the Axe FX.
I wouldn't want to put it in a van and arrive at my destination and find the front panel knobs had been sheared off.

The Matrix amp's volume pots are mounted onto the circuit board and really not very strong.

Seriously- a roadcase is the best way to transport them.

Can you get the sound of a V30's through a PA speaker?
It depends on how picky you are.
I strongly advise people to try before you buy with regards to FRFR systems- or at least be ok with buying and having to sell on if you aren't happy.
Some people seem satisfied, some not.

Last edited:
I have contacted Lean Business and they have stated that the 3 options are very much coneptual ideas and are looking for feedback.

Very valid point on the knobs etc anymore points or ideas was there reaction.

I like the idea of using twin Celestions in the extension cab it will have a very acurate pronounced 60to 3000 hz

A 4u rack with 2x12 would make sense to me.
You would need to have a detachable faceplate- like the front of a rack case.
In-built 3 IEC breakout box so you don't need a power conditioner.

A bottom port that also acts as a slot to store your MFC101 too.

Back
Top Bottom