Ughh atomic passive def not enough

KyleUMF

Inspired
So I played a show a week ago with my new passive atomic wedge powered by my rocktron v300, everything seemed fine, it was my first time using the wedge was in a live situation... We had a week off and at rehearsal I brought out the wedge and I was severely dissatisfied. It can not even remotely
Compete with the drums as far as how loud it can go, and it was just me an my drummer at this practice, I don't even want to bring it out tomorrow when the whole
Band practices cause it will be more embarrassing then anything playing through it, time to go back to my Marshall cab until I can figure out a better means

Yeah, well I'm a noob here and throughout all my posts and reading everyone elses I figured the atomic would be a perfect fit... Guess o was wrong, I mean it sounds amazing when I'm on a big stage and is perfect for that, but when you are in a 5 piece metal band in a smaller rehearsal spot it just doesn't have enough.

1- Is the poweramp actually powerful enough?

2- Are you sending a good level signal from the axefx (preset level and output level)? Is the poweramp turned up to max?

3- How do you know you got to the max volume level? Did the speaker/tweeter start to fart out?

4- Were you running "absurd" levels of low end? A bit of low cut can boost your headroom, a mid boost can make you cut much better.

1- Is the poweramp actually powerful enough?

2- Are you sending a good level signal from the axefx (preset level and output level)? Is the poweramp turned up to max?

3- How do you know you got to the max volume level? Did the speaker/tweeter start to fart out?

4- Were you running "absurd" levels of low end? A bit of low cut can boost your headroom, a mid boost can make you cut much better.

I am running a rocktron velocity 300 (bridged) so it has enough power.

As far as level signal the input level is tickling the red. Output I can not crank cause it starts to fart out
And have a very distorted (not the good kind) sound once I get past a certain point.

Some of my patches do have too much low end so I played around with numerous factory presets and still the same problem, after I crank the output to a certain point the sound becomes very distorted

Sorry....the 'do you run 2 of them' question was for 'BrettLingle'

I'm wondering because I feel that 2 Atomic passives would probably do much better in a metal band situation, and should also keep up with a pair of K12's if powered properly.

If you lived closer to Boston, I'd let you borrow one of my passive Atomics so you could try a pair of them with your Rocktron.

That would be awesome! unfortunately chicago is a cruise lol, very nice of you to offer though!! I woul think that 2 passive would be underpowered though with the 300 I could be wrong, but wouldnt each speaker only be getting about 150?

I think some people on the board are using that Rocktron to power two passive Atomics. And if I remember correctly, they have said that the Rocktron into two passive Atomics is louder than two of the powered Atomics. Do a search on that topic and I think you'll find some good feedback.

I actually tried one of those for a few minutes when I was demo'ing a FBT Verve12ma....and it was REALLY loud. I wish I spent more time with it because it had some great potential. I would definitely test one if you can.

I am running a rocktron velocity 300 (bridged) so it has enough power.

As far as level signal the input level is tickling the red. Output I can not crank cause it starts to fart out
And have a very distorted (not the good kind) sound once I get past a certain point.

Some of my patches do have too much low end so I played around with numerous factory presets and still the same problem, after I crank the output to a certain point the sound becomes very distorted

I run two powered AtomicFR/FR and to me it sounds like a eq issue here.Do a search for FR/FR eq,my 8 string patches would "fart" out unless I tweeked the global eq based on info I found on this forum

Well, I am only running one Atomic wedge, I wll give it another try at practice tonight, but i really dont think it is a eq issue, I did play around with it for a small amount last practice, also its not a in the mix problem (yet) I was playing with just the drummer and to get a volume close to where i was clearily audible it was crapping out pretty bad. I will try to find some threads on FR/FR Eq and play around more tonight. I really hope this is a correctable issue, cause as I go to get everything together at my work to return it, turns out some Asshole either took the box or threw it away, SO INSANELY LIVID right now!!!

There is no way one Atomic cab will complete along side a drummer..especially for heavier stuff it's just not happening!!

Atomic FR cabs are rated at 200 watts. Running a single channel at 200 watts of tube power or ~600 watts of solid state power, there should be enough volume.

I can tell you from personal experience its not enough..I had low wattage tube amps that would blow it away on low volume! Its a decent amp for the Ax but you will get nowhere near enough volume..the sound will distort terribly before you get anywhere near what you want..I'd say you will find yourself either needing another or trying something else like the verve.

Oh yeah, I remember reading about the Atomic FRs distortion at "louder than gig volumes". But, I dunno what style of music they were playing to justify a "gig volume". I play at home, so... no personal experience to add.

I can tell you from personal experience its not enough..I had low wattage tube amps that would blow it away on low volume! Its a decent amp for the Ax but you will get nowhere near enough volume..the sound will distort terribly before you get anywhere near what you want..I'd say you will find yourself either needing another or trying something else like the verve.

I definitely agree btw I'm running a wedge... Well was lol, it sounds great for live use when I'm singled out but practice spot it def can not compete against a drummer, a massive bass rig and another guitarist lol

I got the k12's and they are awesome! At 1000 watts each to boot! I'd suggest you take your Axe-Fx to a local Guitar Center and try em out for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom