Ugh - AX8 got stolen

Kidmag

out of the back of my car. I'm a retard and left it in there overnight after band practice.. so bummed. Beyond the cost, I also don't have a recent back-up of my presets.... Must be at least 100 hours of work that went into the 6 main presets I used. I got it all dialed about 8 months ago and really had just been playing and not tweaking it much - was so happy with the tones that I never did any of the firmware updates or anything. Anyway, I'm just crying out loud here.

Btw - anyone have a good feel for when they will be in stock again?? I put myself on the wait list. Considered for a brief second the AXE FX II+, because having two amps available would be amazing and that was the only real limitation I felt with the AX8 - but for the cost and then having to buy a control board and then go through another learning curve, I just can't afford it or have the desire to go through all that. Man did I blow it.

Sorry to hear that... I would be so bummed out as well.

Just a wild guess here but with the AX8 constantly getting firmware updates, I would wonder if it would be possible to find out if FAS has our unit serial numbers and when downloading updates, it would just a matter of doing some backtracking. In other words, the next time that AX8 is online at FAS, perhaps they could get an IP address once the serial number is confirmed? Just guessing.
Hope you have a backup rig until then.... maybe something cheap and great sounding like an AFB.

Over the years, I have had gear stolen. Amps, miss, stands, effects, (thankfully, not guitars, but I did have a very close call with that). I caught the guy trying to steal my guitar, and gave him to the count of one to put it down and skeedattle. Always such a bummer to be violated like that. Sympathies man.

@Kidmag San Francisco? I don't even leave stuff visible in my car in the reasonably-secure working parking garage in the city anymore. Car break-ins here are INSANE with their frequency now. Drummer has a "there's nothing in here, car is unlocked, please don't break my window to figure this out" note on his old Jeep that he drives.

Sucks.

Sorry to hear that... I would be so bummed out as well.

Just a wild guess here but with the AX8 constantly getting firmware updates, I would wonder if it would be possible to find out if FAS has our unit serial numbers and when downloading updates, it would just a matter of doing some backtracking. In other words, the next time that AX8 is online at FAS, perhaps they could get an IP address once the serial number is confirmed? Just guessing.
Hope you have a backup rig until then.... maybe something cheap and great sounding like an AFB.
Your AX-8 doesn't connect to FAS, your computer does..

No I live in San Diego, but spent 10 years in SF. Had my fair share of bikes stolen there. The thing that is killing me is that I carried my guitar into the house but left the AX8 case in the car because I was too lazy and hate putting stuff down to pull out my keys, then try to edge into the house without banging anything... blah blah. such a bummer. All I had to do was just bring it in (and backing it up would have been a good idea too)... Anyway its back to my tube amps for a while. Unfortunately the used AX8's on ebay are above what new would cost - not sure I can stomach that. So going to just wait for new ones to get stocked.

The things are so rare, that if the perps try to sell it, they should be easy enough to find. Keep an eye out on CL and eBay for AX8s in the area. You did keep the serial number right?

That's terrible man,

Sorry for you - but you have done the right thing... just get another, learn from the mistake, and get back into it!
Thanks
Pauly

No I live in San Diego, but spent 10 years in SF. Had my fair share of bikes stolen there. The thing that is killing me is that I carried my guitar into the house but left the AX8 case in the car because I was too lazy and hate putting stuff down to pull out my keys, then try to edge into the house without banging anything... blah blah. such a bummer. All I had to do was just bring it in (and backing it up would have been a good idea too)... Anyway its back to my tube amps for a while. Unfortunately the used AX8's on ebay are above what new would cost - not sure I can stomach that. So going to just wait for new ones to get stocked.

I can feel that pain. So sorry to hear that news. I am so anal that when I leave the house I hide mine out of sight. So does your insurance cover you any? Auto I presume? What good is that serial number tag that has already fallen off my unit? Is the serial number located anywhere on the inside? How could you prove that a specific unit is yours? Would be nice if it was electronically imbedded and shown right beside the firmware version display.

Sorry to hear that. I was completely disheartened after spending 3 hours tweaking a tone and somehow didn't save it. Feel for you. . .

I was toying with a few ideas. Name the last two presets in the last bank with one containing your serial number and the other your state ID and drivers license number. Yes, these can be deleted, but not without being familiar with the unit. Another idea is to write the serial number on a small (think fortune cookie) paper strip and slide it into the unit. Might have to loosen a few screws to get it in there. Hang in there Kidmag. I'm sure they will get more in stock soon.

I have to agree with everyone else......That Sucks.
I've got to believe FAS has a record of the sale to you originally , or perhaps you have proof. ( Receipt )
I'm stepping out of line here , but @Admin M@ is a pretty great fellow. If there's proof to show you originally bought one , and are looking to buy ANOTHER , with a hard-luck story like this , maybe he could cut some time down on your wait.

I can't speak for M@ , this is just a thought. Maybe it's not possible.

Sorry for the loss. I would need meds and counselling if someone stole mine !

Oh man, that totally sucks =(( Can't imagine what a feeling it is.

What I do with my music/computer/other movable stuff - I add certain marks with an invisible marker on certain spots that are either hard to reach or no one would ever look there. These marks can only be seen with an ultraviolet light.

This thread makes me consider doing more frequent backups. I like the idea of putting some owner info into a preset. Nothing that would stop a skilled thief but at least a small chance. I'm almost certain every AX8 owner will sooner or later end up here.

Back
Top Bottom