UAD question

slinky005

Power User
Been pondering UAD since hearing of how good they are (mostly in this forum).
I have no experience at all with the system.
I currently have a fairly high end audio interface (Hammerfall Multiface II).
If I were to purchase one of the Apollo units, would that essentially make my Hammerfall redundant?
Between all the hardware options, what essentially are you paying for as you go up in price?

Can’t answer about the compatibility of your other interface, but depending on your OS (using mixed multiple interfaces is much easier on Mac). The difference between Apollo’s is basically the number of built-in mic preamps, and the amount of DSP provided, which you always want to go for the max available cuz the UAD plugins can be very DSP-thirsty. Also, plan to spend lots more money on those plugins , they are for the most part amazing, addicting and expensive, and the Apollo’s come with just a few preinstalled...look for a package deal where you get an initial discount on plugins when you purchase the hardware....

So a satellite will take the DSP load for the plugins while my interface does everything else?
Not sure how Cubase on a PC could accommodate two interfaces or if it's even possible.
Yes. I have heard about multiple interfaces in PC using ASIO-for-all...but seems to not be the best alternative, but a Satellite will do exactly what you just said.

FYI, I just downloaded the demo of the brand new Lexicon 480 plugin, and it is fookin amazing.....I know the verbs and delays in our FAS gear are world-class...but this thing has some wonderful sounding presets, and one of the attractions of UAD stuff is the dead-on
skeuomorphic representation and user interface, which is one of the only things Fractal has never attempted...but dunno if I will shell $350 for it.

I’ve been using UAD for a long time. Their interfaces are awesome because you can use their Unision technology with their mic pres. it is done really really.

UAD usually runs two sales a year. Now and in the summer. I’ve been adding to my collection at a few a year and when buying while on sale they aren’t terribly expensive for what they are. They also will send you a coupon for your next plugin right after you purchase one. It can usually even be used during their sale.

Difference between interfaces (Apollo and Twins) vs Satellite is ability to track with plugins. For mixing only, Satellite is good, but tracking with UAD preamp emulations (aforementioned Unison technology) is a beautiful thing and a big part of the appeal to me.

The RME stuff is magnificent. Different flavor, but I don't think you can say the UAD "beats" it in any way.

The UAD unison plugins are great; I shot out the Neve 1073 unison plugin against a JLM Neve clone and it was too close to call. If you don't need the unison tech but want to run the UAD plugins though keep your RME and get a UAD satellite. I just got their EMT 140 plugin and it's unreal.

If you're in the market for a new interface, the Antelope Audio range is well worth considering too. Similar price point but a lot of the plugins are included.

Been spending a lot of time researching the Apollos.
Turns out my ADK i7 from 2011 will not support thunderbolt.
That leaves me with firewire as my option as I want to use the unison technology.
I am hesitant in purchasing outdated technology (not big on buying 2nd hand and the potential hassles of problems) since it is a large investment.
Unless I build a new machine UAD is not gong to happen unfortunately.

Been spending a lot of time researching the Apollos.
Turns out my ADK i7 from 2011 will not support thunderbolt.
That leaves me with firewire as my option as I want to use the unison technology.
I am hesitant in purchasing outdated technology (not big on buying 2nd hand and the potential hassles of problems) since it is a large investment.
Unless I build a new machine UAD is not gong to happen unfortunately.
I’m still running FW with no issues FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom