UAD Apollo Plugin Questions

mwd

Power User
For anyone familiar with UAD. I've got a new Apollo coming in Monday and have been watching some vids. The box comes with Analog Classic Collection Plus plugins. Some of the plugins say (Legacy) in parentheses. What does this mean?

Also in watching the plugs being used I see a button labeled 'Native'. What function does that serve or what does that mean in UAD terms?

Thanks for any help.

I have an Apollo and tons of plugins (i bought it at the right time and got a ton of extras)
Anyway- I know in the bundle some are "LEGACY"

Some plugins work- and some don't- I myself- have had one a year and a half and I still don't get it or understand what Legacy means or what I have or don't have or why it does what it does-

I'm saying this- because I think it's a confusing issue for users- I have this but I don't have that- I have this but I don't have that- the store shows up a price after I bought it already- it's confusing- and I complain here about this- because there should be some sense/streamlining.

BUT NOW
The big fuck up of all- the most annoying thing on earth which they'll never fix

Here's a surprise of your life-
When you download the plugins- you have to download all of them
ALL THE ONES YOU HAVE
ALL THE ONES YOU DON'T HAVE

NOW NOW NOW! here's the best part
and by best I mean- stupidest fucking thing ever done.
You can't disable/hide ones you don't have

SO- when you're in a session or the mix control you get every UAD plugin showing up and you don't remember which one you own or don't own.

OH- and if you do know you have a plugin- sometimes the legacy one works- but then the legacy other one doesn't work- and you don't remember which preamp to use- because everything pops up.

The only way to avoid this- is write down the ones you own
HIDE/DELETE the files for those plugins in the DAW plugin folder and then you'll only see what you have
BUT when there's an update- boom you got everything again.

You get trails for everything- and every time you buy something or upgrade it resets your trials of everything.

BUT- between the legacy and every plugin showing up- it's really a fucking mess-
If i don't have it- I don't want to see it.

It's very frustrating clicking reverbs trying to remember which 2 of the few there are I have- and it really is complex when you get like a

Then you click the wrong one and it brings up a trial option- then you click out of that- and click the preamp you don't have- but then have to find the same name with LEGACY and then that one works-

I understand they do it- to make money- get people trying the more stuff- but I really wish there would be a simple easy way to hide what you don't have- it's the biggest complaint about one of the best/most advanced companies out there- I love them- nothing is better- nothing compares- but this situation is ridiculous.

The re-did some of the plugs but kept the original algos and call those "Legacy".

The newer versions add more authenticity and are incredible. The silver LA2A limiter is so much like a great vintage piece of hardware you won't believe your ears.

Yes
The re-did some of the plugs but kept the original algos and call those "Legacy".

The newer versions add more authenticity and are incredible. The silver LA2A limiter is so much like a great vintage piece of hardware you won't believe your ears.
Yes, UAD is doing amazing things, and their business model is certainly designed to suck you into purchasing more and more software (and hardware, as your addictions grow and
DSP available shrinks ), but in the end, everyone wins.

Yeah I'm not fond of companies that throw everything including the kitchen sink at you to sift thru but UAD would not be the first ones to do that. But thanks for the info. I didn't realize that.

So what about Native? Does that mean I can use a non-UAD plug in, say FAS Reverb, to track with via the Apollo software? Or, most likely applicable, monitor with an FAS reverb or something but not print it during a vocal recording session?

I've owned a UAD Apollo Quad for a few years, and it's the central hub of my studio. The legacy versions can kind of be looked as "lite" versions compared to updated models. They work and sound great, but having upgraded to the newer models of the pultec EQs and various 1176 compressors, I can say you get more options and functionality. You can absolutely make great sounding recordings with the legacy models alone. I'd recommend using the legacy versions for a few months (on multiple projects or songs) and then if you feel the need, try the demo of the upgraded models for fourteen days. All the plugins come with the 14 day demo option.

I also find the need to navigate through every available plugin (including those I haven't purchased) a bit frustrating, but once I had my various setups saved as presets, I didn't really need to go back to browsing plugins. Being able to eliminate the non-authorized plugins would be number one on my wish list, but I think it's a marketing thing to get you to try the demo versions on the chance you'll want to purchase the full plugin. That small frustration aside, purchasing a UAD Apollo and getting involved in their plugin environment has probably been the single best decision I've made for my studio, AxeFx notwithstanding.

UAD has a lot of great demo and tutorial videos on their site/youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/UniversalAudio

Yeah I'm not fond of companies that throw everything including the kitchen sink at you to sift thru but UAD would not be the first ones to do that. But thanks for the info. I didn't realize that.

So what about Native? Does that mean I can use a non-UAD plug in, say FAS Reverb, to track with via the Apollo software? Or, most likely applicable, monitor with an FAS reverb or something but not print it during a vocal recording session?
No ,you can only use UAD plugins within the Apollo Console mixer app itself, others must be utilized thru your DAW...AFAIK

I'm a huge UAD fan. I've been a customer since the UAD-1 days.

The competition for authentic plugs is heating up though, UAD used to be the only game in town.

I never really was bothered by the plugin list including plugs I had not purchased. It never crossed my mind as a hassle until reading this thread :)

So I wanted to jump the gun and pre download the software (not install) prior to my unit arriving tomorrow. On the page there is a place for Facebook reviews and I saw complaint after complaint after complaint about Console 2 not being available for the Firewire model of Apollo. Stating it has been put off several times with an unknown 2016 release date therefore I will have to use a previous version.

To those that might know is this a big issue?

Also I will be using this on OS X. I only install AU plugs for the most part. Can't I do one of the following:
1. Install only the plugs I want
2. If not can't I create a 'unpurchase' folder and move the unpurchased plugs from the components folder into it. Move it back if I want to try it?
3. Delete the unpurchased plugs from the Component folder?

Last edited:
No ,you can only use UAD plugins within the Apollo Console mixer app itself, others must be utilized thru your DAW...AFAIK
I don't thinkso - I think I have Rtas or whatever AAX plugins of the UAD plugins- and I think it even uses the DSP in the Apollo to run them

So I can use them in the DAW and in the console

So I wanted to jump the gun and pre download the software (not install) prior to my unit arriving tomorrow. On the page there is a place for Facebook reviews and I saw complaint after complaint after complaint about Console 2 not being available for the Firewire model of Apollo. Stating it has been put off several times with an unknown 2016 release date therefore I will have to use a previous version.

To those that might know is this a big issue?

Also I will be using this on OS X. I only install AU plugs for the most part. Can't I do one of the following:
2. If not can't I create a 'unpurchase' folder and move the unpurchased plugs from the components folder into it. Move it back if I want to try it?

I wouldn't delete the stuff you don't have yet
They give you alot of offers/coupons etc right when you purchase
or they'll say 'free tuner plugin' or 'free whatever plugin' for taking their survey or something-
so you might be growing soon.
ALSO
get used to all of it first- then later go in and hide the stuff-

I'm on the old console because I use firewire

Got the unit and started experimenting. Thought I would share, FWIW, using Logic X I clicked preferences>plug-in manager. At the top you can click the + sign and create a new category which I did and named it UAD Favs. I dragged the plug-ins I have into that folder and now I can just choose the folder and eliminate the long list of unauthorized plug-ins.

Further they're still in the master UAD list, with the long list of unauthorized ones, so I really didn't delete anything. It is acting like a shortcut.

My old digital TV cable box does that.. shows ALL channels in the onscreen guide, there is no way to display only the few I've subscribed to. Pisses me off every time! I'm sure It's built that way on purpose, for maximum annoyance until I cave in and order more channel bundles.

I've yet to work with an Apollo but have gotten some great results with Presonus interfaces and pres, which I've always found better sounding than most in their price range. Currently using: https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192 . Great bang for the buck! I still track some stuff through my old Eureka pre (transformer-coupled analog channel strip), but modern 'character' plugins and often do the job in that department.

Reactions: mwd
I'm using Cubase and have used the Cubase Plugin Manager to not display any UAD plugins (this is done manually) that I haven't purchased so i know that anything in my UAD list is available to use... presumably other DAWs have a plugin manager?

Back
Top Bottom