U2 Presets and Effect Models

Also, just wanted to say to Axeman that your U2 patches are simply great.
I'm really glad to see some "experts" coming up in our Forum.

Also, just wanted to say to Axeman that your U2 patches are simply great.
I'm really glad to see some "experts" coming up in our Forum.

Hey smilefan, thx! Very kind of you. I'm seriously not an expert or accomplished musician. Just spend a lot of time on U2. Huge fan of Edge's tone and I enjoy the challenge of trying to get close to his tones on the Axe-Fx. It's not my music, so I feel obligated to share. Thx for your support; more to come.

Spent more time on Elevation. There is something unique in the clipping that just can't be picked up by a fuzz model. I'll do a video for Cliff and see if I can't convince him to borrow my pedal and create a Kay Fuzz model. It would be easier in my opinion. You can get close with the Axe-Fx, and it should be fine for most ears, but you can't get as close as other U2 tones like delays, regular drives, etc. The Kay is a VERY unique pedal.

M

Axeman - me not lucky enuf to have Axe II, but do have ultra that I like very much. Are your U2 for ultra presets available somewhere?

Here are a few of my old Ultra presets. This should give anyone with an Ultra a good "U2 start." I can't guarantee they are the most recent versions, but they should be close to it.

I would focus on updating the amp models for your pups and for the latest firmware releases. Work on the clean AC30 tone first. Try to use the right guitar for the song (Pride, Bad, Streets, etc. = Strat in quack position; UTEOTW is LP in bridge position; WOWY is a HotRail bridge pup, etc.).

Here is a short clip of Mick's real AC30 that you can use to try to model this core "verge of break up tone":

View attachment 8556
View attachment 8557
View attachment 8558
View attachment 8559
View attachment 8560
View attachment 8561
View attachment 8562
View attachment 8563

Last edited:
I Have real trouble trying to Dial in that AC30 tone Axeman, have you got a bare amp patch as a baseline....or recommend one of your patches ?

I gave a go tonight at getting a tone for U2 stuff. I'm obviously not a U2 afficianado as evident by my playing, but here's what I came up with:

I have a Fralin Unbucker in the bridge, which is sitting with the pole side (hotter) towards the middle so I can get some quack with it split. I started with the stock AC30 patch and set the drive, master and EQ where it sounded good. Then I mainly adjusted parameters in the speaker resonance page, using the clip of Mick's AC30 posted above as a comparison. A few other tweaks and that's it. I know the delay could be a lot closer to the original (didn't spend much time on it). Let me know what what you think (but don't tear me apart :)

View attachment Pride Test.syx

Here is my "Elevation" attempt. The fuzz models we have now need some work/upgrades to sound more
real world IMHO. This is the best I could do. There is a Filter Block at the start of the patch, which is
intended to be the foot pedal of the Kay fuzz. You have to change its Frequency controller from LFO2 to
Extrn 1 (or where ever you've got your footpedal assigned). Just the fuzz effect itself sounds fairly close.
Above the 12th fret you will hear the Kay's distinct 'octave up' overtones.

Hi Michael, Smilefan and the others, I'm glad to join the forum and to post my first reply.

This is my attempt with the Axe II (that I own for 1 month, still learning...).
For the intro part, it's Big Muff into hard fuzz into controled filter into pitch into AC30 into reverb. For the verse part, it's Big Muff into fixed filter into pitch into AC30 into reverb. Quite simple but strangely close to the Vertigo DVD version. I've tried this effect chain with Amplitube 3 before I get the Axe, and the result was rather nice but far from this.

AC30 based on Michael's model.

Here are the patches :
View attachment Elevation (verse fuzz)-StefAxe.syx
View attachment Elevation (intro fuzz)-StefAxe.syx

EDIT : I've just realized that the clip sounds like sh*t on soundcloud, sorry ! It's better when listening from my monitors or in my headphones. Strange...

Last edited:
Michael-your patches are really nice-so great of you to share them.I have to work out the tunes a bit different-I just cannot stretch that far anymore-arthritis :-( . Doesn't hurt any other part of my playing-just the long pinky stretches.
Great stuff-so I use your patches and improvise :)
Thanks Very much

Hi Axeman,
Had to learn Pride for a band I play in.
Your videos (alle 14 of them, he he) have been enormous helpful.
Thanks

I agree Axeman, great videos... Can not wait to get your Axe 2 presets for the songs. You and mick are the main reason I bought the Axe.

I love all your videos Axeman, you've helped me so much not only learning U2 songs(which is my favorite band) but helped teach me how to use the axe fx ty

Here is a link to a discussion on our U2 forum. Listen to the clip by Mick (first post). He plays his AC30 (no amp modeling) with no effects. It's his core gig tone. I then updated my Axe II AC30 model based on listening to this and got the tone toward the end of the thread:

my Vox ac30 base tone - Page 4
Great tone Axeman! Right on that "Edge" of breakup ;-)

(wishing my band played some U2...)

Excellent site!
Sounds like a great baseline sound Axeman.
Can you post that preset here? With perhaps the effects dialed in for "Bad" delay settings and shimmer off.
Thanks T

Excellent site!
Sounds like a great baseline sound Axeman.
Can you post that preset here? With perhaps the effects dialed in for "Bad" delay settings and shimmer off.
Thanks T

I'm not at home and will be traveling all week. Go to the link above - I posted the Streets version which is the one with the latest amp model. Just change the BPM for Bad and it will be close (remove the fixed 360ms delay also). Bad is mostly just a dotted 8th delay. Adjust mix and repeats accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom