U2 in the New York Times (Gear Content)

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/music/u2s-flight-to-now-turbulence-included.html?ref=topics

The article includes a photo of Edge's pedalboard with some labels I think you might recognize.
On a personal note, it's been incredible working with him and Dallas over the years. I've made some real friends.

attachment.php

Attachments

• U2’s_Flight_to_Now__Turbulence_Included__-_NYTimes_com.jpg
    U2’s_Flight_to_Now__Turbulence_Included__-_NYTimes_com.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,044
I wonder why he doesnt upgrade the one remaining II to an XL like the other three...?!
Funny to see he uses one XL only for a shimmer effect and one for delays (guess thats the "2290").

BTW I love the CAE board. Still unsure if I should go for the MFC-101 (unlikely currently as I dont like the pattern of the knobs), the CAE RST16 (the 8 knobs per row layout is great for switching between the 8 scenes of the Axe FX), a FAMC or an RJM MMGT16 which have their pro at the additional displays. But if The Edge uses CAE, I think I need to too :)

BTW: Grats again to FA to have the master of effects using the Axe's that much.

I presume the fx in quotes are the old units names mimic'd in the axes (ie 2290, pod etc). Just speculating of course until we see the full final rig

I wonder why he doesnt upgrade the one remaining II to an XL like the other three...?!
Funny to see he uses one XL only for a shimmer effect and one for delays (guess thats the "2290").

BTW I love the CAE board. Still unsure if I should go for the MFC-101 (unlikely currently as I dont like the pattern of the knobs), the CAE RST16 (the 8 knobs per row layout is great for switching between the 8 scenes of the Axe FX), a FAMC or an RJM MMGT16 which have their pro at the additional displays. But if The Edge uses CAE, I think I need to too :)

BTW: Grats again to FA to have the master of effects using the Axe's that much.

I was thinking that as well but found out how hard they are to program. I would not want to be beholden too them to have to change something in case I just did not want to use that
efx anymore..

Im curious about mfc edit and using that I use 5 scenes vs 8 and no problem.
Only issue I had was trying to update it and it tanked on me.
I had tried to back it up first that did not take and when I went to update it it tanked at 60%

I think the CAE is tough to program from what im told.
Besides mfc edit is now out and I want to try that before abandoning the mfc.

It worked flawlessly till I tried to back up and update..
Great looking board though.

I wonder if the mfc can control 2 axe fx systems at the same time.
That would be fantastic as I want 2 axe fx units.

Might be a problem if I have an axe II and then an XL though
do not think that would work as my mfc is first version.

Not sure though..

Great looking board though...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/music/u2s-flight-to-now-turbulence-included.html?ref=topics

The article includes a photo of Edge's pedalboard with some labels I think you might recognize.
On a personal note, it's been incredible working with him and Dallas over the years. I've made some real friends.

attachment.php

I know they generally play with cards well covered, so I'm just going to throw my theory and you could say "yes", "no", "maybe": one axe is doing 2290 only, one axe is doing vox in a box and other amps, one axe is doing shimmer only into fender harvard and one axe is doing multi fx. Yes, no, maybe? lol
Ok, now can you just share his vox's ir's and tm's so I can get a life and do something else other than tweaking my axe like I did for the past year? :D

Btw before we face another argument about playing live vs fake-playing to a pre recorded track, U2 Friday will be at fallon' and yesterday they were in a studio in ny recording the backing tracks for beautiful day and song for someone, so I'm assuming it will be - as it is 9 times out of 10 when they're on TV - live vocals over prerecorded band.

Btw before we face another argument about playing live vs fake-playing to a pre recorded track, U2 Friday will be at fallon' and yesterday they were in a studio in ny recording the backing tracks for beautiful day and song for someone, so I'm assuming it will be - as it is 9 times out of 10 when they're on TV - live vocals over prerecorded band.
That's the danger with assuming things ... We just don't know. But, just because they choose not to have live musicians join them to play other musical parts and use tracks for those parts doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of the band is not playing live.

attachment.php

This will go under the dart board I already have of Matt's face, for the "Alex Lifeson texted me about a question" and "I went to Cali to help Neal Schon dial in some new sounds" comments......

But I'm not bitter at all.....

That's the danger with assuming things ... We just don't know. But, just because they choose not to have live musicians join them to play other musical parts and use tracks for those parts doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of the band is not playing live.

I agree (I've known them and studied long enough!), but when I say they were recording in a studio, I mean drums, bass and guitar (plus all the backing track stuff). At least that's the info I got from a few friends/fanatics in ny! Lol
On a personal level, from my experience playing live in a TV studio, you have quite some restrictions (volume, dynamics etc), so I'd totally understand if a band prefers to sound like themselves in playback as opposed than playing live compromising on their sound.

I agree (I've known them and studied long enough!), but when I say they were recording in a studio, I mean drums, bass and guitar (plus all the backing track stuff). At least that's the info I got from a few friends/fanatics in ny! Lol
On a personal level, from my experience playing live in a TV studio, you have quite some restrictions (volume, dynamics etc), so I'd totally understand if a band prefers to sound like themselves in playback as opposed than playing live compromising on their sound.
I can certainly see that playing live to a television audience that they would want to put out their best. I personally wish that they would do at least part of their set with no loops or tracks (and not just the acoustic stuff). But even when just playing by himself the Edge can't seem to get away from adding some backing tracks. I'm sure you've seen this but it is hautingly beautiful and amazing in its simplicity - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHZn7ZCahNk

Back
Top Bottom