"U2 - Beautiful Day" Hardcore Effects Challenge

Raab90

Inspired
Hi!
This is the post i've always wanted to do ever since i bought the axe and registered in the forums.

For those of you who are familar with the The Edge, and this song in particular, you'd know what i mean when i talk about hardcore effects.
For those of you don't have a clue, listen to "U2 - Beautiful Day", and pay attention to the part that goes from around 2:10 to 2:47

We could all agree that the basic pattern is a pitch shifted guitar, but it's not anywhere as simple as that. I've heard no cover from anyone thata ever achieved a similar sound. There's also background sounds.

Using the whammy would only get the high pitch itself, but not the tone.
Im trying here with phasers and other stuff to try to make it sound close. Also im using the synth effects with a phaser and formant to try to get the back ground "breeze" effect.

This is brutaly complicated.
Any brave person that feels like this is a job for him/her?

Ty

i think there's multiple layers going on there, possibly including some synth sounds. i just watched that section from the Slane Castle gig and it's completely different (much more simple)

Watch the story of the electric guitar bbc clip with edge, I think it was in there, you'll get a better idea.

This is a preset effect from his H3000 Eventide if I remember rightly (if you're talking about the guitar panned to the left doing the pitch-shifty thing). Obviously some sort of pitch shifting going on.

OK, I've uploaded a clip with the solo from said track and patch
1st part is me, recorded to a guitar-less backing track and the second is from U2 live at Glastonbury
and the last one is the pitch shift delays isolated

there's probably been lots more production on the studio version, but I still don't believe it to be anything other than a pitch shifter and delays

hope this gets you a start on what your trying to achieve :))

Last edited:
Oh!

I understand what you guys just did but, that's only the easy part!

What im talking about, is the part when Bono goes: "See the world in green and blue, see China right in front of you...... All the colors came out"

Listen carefully to the background sounds. THAT's what im talking about!
There's a pitch shifter too, but sounds way different from the high pitch verse from before.

Yep, sounds damned good

Never used fx in such a prominent way myself, but would be nice
thumbsup.gif

Well, Here it goes!

I've managed to isolate the part in question, from 2 different "devocalized" tracks, so you guys can better understand it.
I've done 2 cuts, which can be considered L and R tracks.

Edge doesn't get that clean studio sound in the live performances.

Here is a great example of what it sounds like live (at 2:06 time stamp):

Here is my live version using the Axe-Fx (recording back in 2010 in older firmware - at 2:35 time stamp):

Edge likely does use his H3000 Eventide for some or most of the effect. But the key is drive pedal, a two octave pitch shift, quarter note delay and I like to put a reverse delay in parallel to the main 1/4 note delay to give that crystal like effect to it. Oh, and this part is played in neck pup position. Too much ice pick high when you use the bridge. You can see Edge switching often between neck and bridge in this song.

Ohh!!

I do wonder how can i get as close as i can to the studio version using the axe for a live performance!

D:

There lies the challenge!

Ohh!!

I do wonder how can i get as close as i can to the studio version using the axe for a live performance!

D:

There lies the challenge!

There is a smoothness to the studio version that seems processed or complemented by something else. I recall trying to transcribe every note in the studio version and while the scale is not complicated there are some subtle changes in the riff's notes. It's a nice part of the song. Try smoothing it out with some reverb and possible a filter. It sounds like it's just pitch shifted, but there is a touch of ethereal smoothness in it that comes across more like a synth than a guitar.

There is a smoothness to the studio version that seems processed or complemented by something else. I recall trying to transcribe every note in the studio version and while the scale is not complicated there are some subtle changes in the riff's notes. It's a nice part of the song. Try smoothing it out with some reverb and possible a filter. It sounds like it's just pitch shifted, but there is a touch of ethereal smoothness in it that comes across more like a synth than a guitar.

I guess my journey of a thousand years starts now ;;

Thanks for your time :D !

Back
Top Bottom