U2 - “Zooropa 360” Clip

Is the 2nd riff that starts at 0:20 correct? It sounds like you're playing something completely different then Edge does.

Is the 2nd riff that starts at 0:20 correct? It sounds like you're playing something completely different then Edge does.

This is the version the tabs Nate posted are based on. I probably screwed up, I’ll double-check...thanks for listening and the feedback!

I think it's just an issue with the autowah. For this song I think you really need to use a manual wah and just fucking pump it. It is hell on your ankle, but the sound is a lot better and you can control it if you mess up.

Really not bad. Sounds pretty close to that live version. The original studio album takes it, IMO, but still a nice job trying to replicate that live sound.

In my opinion, it sounds really good Toopy.
Maybe the playing is not 100% like the Edge, but who really cares ?

For you to compare, my own attempt.
I should manage to complete learning the song
(I also use an auto-wah, just because I don't have an expression pedal myself)

I remember having learned the main riff with this video

In my opinion, it sounds really good Toopy.
Maybe the playing is not 100% like the Edge, but who really cares ?

I do, because to me the exact sound matters less then what is being played. I hear irregularities in the playing and I always immediately notice.

For you to compare, my own attempt.
I should manage to complete learning the song
(I also use an auto-wah, just because I don't have an expression pedal myself)

I remember having learned the main riff with this video

To me it sounds that you're playing the riff right, just like Andy did in the vid.

the tab says:
e-10-10-10-7-7-7-7---|--10-10-10-7-7-7-7--
b-----------------------------------------------------

e-----------------------------------------------------
b-10-10-10-7-7-7-7---|--10-10-10-7-7-7-7--

And my ears tell me it should be this as I clearly hear the 9 being played.
e-10---10-9---9-7-------|-10---10-9---9-7----
b----------------------------------------------------

b-10---10-9---9-7-------|-10---10-9---9-7-----

I always played it like that by the way.

To me it sounds that you're playing the riff right, just like Andy did in the vid.

the tab says:
e-10-10-10-7-7-7-7---|--10-10-10-7-7-7-7--
b-----------------------------------------------------

b-10-10-10-7-7-7-7---|--10-10-10-7-7-7-7--

And my ears tell me it should be this as I clearly hear the 9 being played.
b----------------------------------------------------

b-10---10-9---9-7-------|-10---10-9---9-7-----

I always played it like that by the way.

Muad'zin, appreciate the feedback! I'm just a bit confused, as we're now talking about 4 versions in the thread. Are you saying that Manu68 is playing the riff correctly, like Andy's tutorial?

Is the tab you posted what you hear Edge playing in the Baltimore video?

I think it's just an issue with the autowah. For this song I think you really need to use a manual wah and just fucking pump it. It is hell on your ankle, but the sound is a lot better and you can control it if you mess up.

Thanks! I'll try the manual wah.

Muad'zin, appreciate the feedback! I'm just a bit confused, as we're now talking about 4 versions in the thread. Are you saying that Manu68 is playing the riff correctly, like Andy's tutorial?

Is the tab you posted what you hear Edge playing in the Baltimore video?

Manu said he based his playing on what Andy did, and I hear the same notes being played in the Baltimore video. So to me it sounds that the only thing that is wrong is your version based on the tab. Cause I hear that descending minor lick in every version except yours. Which means the tab has to be wrong. To my ears. Which now makes me even more curious to hear how the tab sounds in the 2nd part, as Andy never did that part. The high notes over I Have No Compass

Manu said he based his playing on what Andy did, and I hear the same notes being played in the Baltimore video. So to me it sounds that the only thing that is wrong is your version based on the tab. Cause I hear that descending minor lick in every version except yours. Which means the tab has to be wrong. To my ears. Which now makes me even more curious to hear how the tab sounds in the 2nd part, as Andy never did that part. The high notes over I Have No Compass

The more I listen to it, the more I think you're right. I hear the descending notes in there, I think Edge is playing it either 10-7-9-7-7-7-7-7 with straight 8th notes, or 10-7-10-9-7-7-7-7-7 with the 2nd and 3rd notes being 16th notes. I'm gonna listen some more tomorrow with fresh ears and then I'll probably change the tab. Thanks for finding a mistake, it helps me improve my tabbing. I want these tabs to be as accurate as possible, which is why I encourage people to find listen deep and find any mistakes in them.

A lot of my tabs are made by watching video of the Edge playing the song, which is how I often pick up on things people miss, but I'm still training my ears. It'd be nice if we had video of Edge playing Zooropa, but due to the staging used there's no clear videos, I only figured out the hand positions. I listened to this song many times, playing over the song and also playing the audio from the pro tab over the audio from the song. I guess I missed that one note.

The more I listen to it, the more I think you're right. I hear the descending notes in there, I think Edge is playing it either 10-7-9-7-7-7-7-7 with straight 8th notes, or 10-7-10-9-7-7-7-7-7 with the 2nd and 3rd notes being 16th notes..

In the Baltimore video, I hear Edge playing this;

b--------------------------------------------

e--------------------------------------------
b-10---10-9---9-7-------|-10---10-9---9-7----

In the ProGuitarShop video, at the beginning, I think he's playing the same as what @Muad'zin posted, but when he demos the notes, later on in the video, I think he's playing something different, similar to what you just posted @nbelcik.

It's the delays which probably muddify things. And why everybody keeps playing a relatively very simple riff like Where the Streets differently.

Back
Top Bottom