Typical question: Should i buy an AX8 in 2022? Please read the post :)

Hello guys. So i came back. Decided to sell my current set up to pay for an FM3...or an AX8...Not sure yet XD but i'm going after the system change. I wanted to point that i'm after Bogner heavy tones. So, still the question here is the money, and i've seen that the new firmware of the FM3 is very promising, while the AX8 is being abandonded little by little. My idea is using a compressor pedal (Never liked digital ones) through the loop on board of any of the pedals.
My question is, does this firmware worth it to just jump to the FM3?
Thanks again!
can chime in? Having owned a AX8 and a FM3, (now have a FM9) the AX8 is an awesome peddle board worth every cent imo, however the FM3 takes modeling to another level with the release of Cygnus, so if your pocketbook can handle a FM3 I'd highly recommend it as you will not be disappointed with the quality of the amp models and the effects.

I have been waiting on my FM9 like everyone else for months, but if you compare form, function, workflow, versatility, portability, and finally tone with just about any amp cabinet / effects rig you could assemble the AX8 is still light years ahead. My Brother has the AXE III and only you would know the difference-your audience never will. My AX8 sounds as good as it gets for me...the rest is up to my ears and me as a player.
It is like getting a new amp / effects processor with factory presets...they will never sound as good to your ears until you tweak to your playing and environment. I have purchased many AX8 presets / packs but ALL of them required my taking the time to make them my own on the editor. The FM9 came out simply because the FM3 alone was always being compared to the AX8's functionality and was not capable of the live / stage versatility of the AX8. Just my 2 cents-good luck!

The FM9 came out simply because the FM3 alone was always being compared to the AX8's functionality and was not capable of the live / stage versatility of the AX8. Just my 2 cents-good luck!
I don't think it's quite that simple. There was also the issue from a significant # to have more horsepower. Specifically folks wanted to run two amps and then you had several people always pushing the CPU limits due to preset demands (lots of threads discussing reverb demands specifically). Good comments regarding the AX8 for live use though; no one would know.

Keep in mind that the Axe III has had some significant firmware upgrades since release, a good hunk of which almost certainly will eventually filter down to the FM3, but not the AX8. The FM3 is still current generation, and if you've been watching here, you know that Fractal is constantly advancing its state of the art. Buying into a supported generation of hardware is always beneficial, and with Fractal that's exponentially true.

It’s really not as simple as ax8 vs fm3.. sure the fm3 is going to get updates, Cygnus models yada yada… but the fm3 alone is incomplete without a FC6 or programmable midi foot controller whereas the AX8 is complete.

And please keep in mind the OP is not US based so it’s not a matter of a couple of hundred dollars.

And to the op…I was on ax/fx3 waitlist and purchased the ax8… I had the ax/fx3 6 months before I even opened it as the ax8 more than beat all expectations…is there a difference? Sure..enough to bust the bank for? Nope.

… but the fm3 alone is incomplete without a FC6 or programmable midi foot controller whereas the AX8 is complete.
Not sure why you don't consider the FM3 "complete". Three switches is plenty for many people, myself included. It simply has a different config than the AX8. Mine arrived complete, else I would've returned it.

I would say that suggesting an FC6 or equivalent is required is completely wrong. That may be your personal desire, but if so, then I'd go get an FM9. You'll have a smaller footprint and more power.

Last edited:
I just picked up an AX8 last week. I was fortunate to find a mint condition unit on Reverb for $725. I'm moving from Headrush products which have served me well, but seem to be limited to number of available amps, effects, etc. The AX8 will allow me to get "used to" the Fractal platform at a lower cost of entry. Then, if it's a fit for me, I'll move up to FM3/FC6 combo.

I just picked up an AX8 last week. I was fortunate to find a mint condition unit on Reverb for $725. I'm moving from Headrush products which have served me well, but seem to be limited to number of available amps, effects, etc. The AX8 will allow me to get "used to" the Fractal platform at a lower cost of entry. Then, if it's a fit for me, I'll move up to FM3/FC6 combo.
If you move up, which there is a good chance you will, don't buy an FC6 outright (unless you get an awesome deal on a package). The three foot switches are actually more like six due to both hold and tap functions.

If you ever need just one or two more switches, then that could be handled with one or two stand-in switches which would be much smaller and more portable (also cheaper).

If you determine you need the FC6, then I'd advise to sell the FM3 and get the FM9 (or maybe just got straight to the FM9 if you feel you'll need the switches regardless). It'll be smaller than the combo and with more power.

I just bought an Ax8 and SD170 to replace my Axe II and matrix gt1000 2u so I can travel light to gigs and rehearsals, and use the Axe II for recording. I gotta say, it was an absolutely great decision. It’s sounds killer and having access to amp the main controls right in front of you and the intuitive pedal philosophy is marvellous. Going from axe II, converting presets for ax8 I had to reduce input trim on amp block from 1 to about 0.422 and gently tweak the in amp GEQ to match the levels. i used a frequency generator and A spectrum analyser to balance the different frequencies in the amp GEQ and the tone controls. I had to do this probably because there were a couple of axe2 fw releases that didn’t come out for the ax8.

I also picked up an AX8 used off Reverb.com, use it wilth Matrix GT1000 2u into a Recto 4.12, after some sound tweaking and learning it, got my sound like I had on the Axe II M2. On the list for FM9 but think I am good for quite awhile..

Hey folks how have you been?
thanks for all your replies! i wasn't expecting so much feedback, and i appreciate the great vibe over here. Well, it's been crazy times in my country, dollar value is raising like hell and the costs are going up. But after some thought, and selling some of my pedals and pillow talks i came to the conclusion that i will try to go for an FM3. Why? because i still want to add some offboard effects. I have a TC Triple Delay i can't live without, and a compressor that is part of my chain already. So my plan is to ensamble a relatively small board that fits my waterproof case (sounds more classy than it really is, it's just a plastic case LOL) but is a reference to what i need. Also, i plan to control the TC via MIDI from the FM3 and freeing a bit of cpu process on the way. And as a back up i will have a Bogner Ecstasy mini blue in case the digital goes crazy. So in the end i keep a compact rig, i can travel in case a gig shows and i keep myself a bit up to date with this guitar noise technology.
Again, thanks for all your support and as soon as i see some light with the acquisition of the FM3 i will let you know.
My back up plan is an Atomic Amplifire, but i had it and wasn't totally happy with it. Still, sounded better to me than the HX Stomp i had.
Greetings to all you earthlings, peace!

I don’t own an FM3 yet but from what I’ve heard, the effects quality is toe to toe with some of the best. I understand you have the pedals you need already - but if you are flexible, maybe selling them can contribute towards your purchase of the FM3?

Just a thought.

The AX8 is undoubtedly still a ferocious beast. I upgraded from the IIxl+ in large part because of wanting the operating system improvements in the current generation of products. Congrats on going for the FM3!

Back
Top Bottom