Tyler Vairiax JTV-89 guitars $699 @ Sweetwater.

can anyone confirm if palm mutes sound good? the one I tested about 6 months ago was terrible. I thought they were to have fixed it in a software update or something.

I don't own one but I did see a vid wherein a guy was demonstrating that it had indeed been fixed.

I badly want a JTV 69. Only thing I'm gassing for, oh and the line6 g50 wireless. Axe Fx has cured most of my gas. Thanks FAS.

No, even after trying their recent update that supposedly helps palm muting, my 59 still doesn't have the chunk that the mags provide. It still sounds like the tone control is rolled back. The 89 supposedly got a few additional models of modern guitars (i.e. EMG pickups?) and that might be better but I doubt it. If you are a percussive player who loves that tight chunky muting, you will likely be disappointed.

i had the 59 for about 2 years and honestly, i never could make myself like it. the guitar without the modeling on was phenomenal; really felt like a les. the other awesome thing is the alt tunings. the ability to create and store tunings not already preset is awesome as well. however, none of the models ever sounded convincing enough to warrant keeping this guitar so i sold it. admittedly, i miss the tunings and may revisit a tobacco burst but I'm in no hurry.

Since I have recently dismantled my pedalboard and boxed up my HD500, I no longer need the fancy guitar model/tuning footswitching ability on the JTV, and since the palm-muting has never been fully realized (I don't believe it will ever be possible with a piezo pickup), I donwgraded my fw back to before the acoustic models update and I fell back in love with my 59 yesterday. I made more music yesterday with the different acoustic models (reso, 6 and 12 string, sitar) than I have in a long time.

Unless the new Workbench offers the ability to swap between old and new acoustic models, my JTV will never be updated again and frankly - I don't care because it is what I want it to be right now. The only electric models I ever used are the strat ones anyways.

ok, the $699 price tag is just too attractive not to revisit the variax line, so i picked up an 89. hate the guitar's look, but i'll give it a shot. sweetwater stock is currently on BO so hopefully next week they'll have them in.

raze

ok, the $699 price tag is just too attractive not to revisit the variax line, so i picked up an 89. hate the guitar's look, but i'll give it a shot. sweetwater stock is currently on BO so hopefully next week they'll have them in.

raze

Even it the guitar looks like ass you can still yank out the electronics and have it installed into a different guitar.

Had the 69 for about 6 months
After waiting an age for it to arrive
But just never really got on with it
Disappointed after the long wait

Like the first generation of Variax, for whatever reasons, it looks ugly on pictures but decent in real life and the finish for the blood red version is gorgeous

...It still sounds like the tone control is rolled back... If you are a percussive player who loves that tight chunky muting, you will likely be disappointed...

That's the exact same feeling I had with the original Variax. Tone control rolled off and palm muting sounds thin and clanky.

I got the 89f a few months ago and like it. Its definitely not perfect but still a nice and quality instrument. The models are ok but not great IMO and the Floyd is nice. There are US made versions that cost 3x as much but I can't see that when they have the same electronics.
I'm thinking of using my piezo equipped Music Man and see if I can't get better results for acoustic simulations which is the reason for the 89f.

Back
Top Bottom