Ty Tabor talking about his switch to the Axe-FX....

From Fractal Audio facebook comment:

Says Ty in his quote for our new ad... "I tried to resist it... but this has become my main amp."

Finally someone representing the Duncan P Rails! Those things are looking to be discontinued which if true is a real shame.

Love it... I wish Ty was active on the board. It would be very cool,to pick his brian or just even talk shop, how about it Ty? :D

I've had neck and bridge p-rails in my Lado guitar for almost 6 months now. They are amazingly versatile pickups!!! Love 'em!

I would say this is bad news for anyone wishing Cliff would model the Lab series stuff. Ty said he used the Axe exclusively for that album. So, if he can do his entire album with the Axe, and it has no Lab model, what is Cliff's motivation for adding the Lab stuff? (Other than all the rest of us that would like to see it in there that is.)

Unless...maybe Ty has a "Special Artist" edition of the Axe which has the Lab model in it? Hmmm?

would really be cool to have the L5 in the amps. Ty would / could be the litmus test :)

>I would say this is bad news for anyone wishing Cliff would model the Lab series stuff. Ty said he used the Axe exclusively for that album. So, if he can do his entire album with the Axe, and it has no Lab model, what is Cliff's motivation for adding the Lab stuff?

I hear what you are saying but the point for some of us is we want it in hopes of nailing his tone on older albums - in particular "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska". For me at least that era was the peak tone wise and music wise.

He did the ambient album with the axe-fx... so it's not rocking guitar tone. Would be cool for him to dial in the old tones when they play that stuff.. kind of the like the special Gretchen module egnater made him. Nothing sounds like the lab, if someone can prove me wrong do it, but you will not get that tone, he says it himself in the other videos.

I just dont understand why... several have offered to loan their amps, and schematics exisit, would probably take a few hours. If it's impossible tell me and i'll stop buggin :)

I thought about swopping out the #6 pups in my PRS for a pair of P-Rails but I'm hesitant about having to drill a hole for the toggle.

Don't do it that way. Use push/pulls on your volume and tone knobs. The p-rails can be run in 4 modes: rail, p90, series humbucker and parallel humbucker. I have them set like this:

Up/up: parallel hum
Up/down: rail
Down/up: p90
Down/down: series hum

Then wire your selector knob for neck, neck+bridge, bridge

(i'm assuming you don't have a middle pup)

I was kinda kidding about that whole thing. As far as the ambient thing goes, that doesn't really matter. If Ty is saying that the Axe has become "his main amp," assuming that means for the live King's X stuff too, he would be using it to replace all that custom Egnater stuff he had his last rig built around, which was pretty much put together to emulate all the different eras of his tones, if I have been informed correctly on this issue.

>I would say this is bad news for anyone wishing Cliff would model the Lab series stuff. Ty said he used the Axe exclusively for that album. So, if he can do his entire album with the Axe, and it has no Lab model, what is Cliff's motivation for adding the Lab stuff?

I hear what you are saying but the point for some of us is we want it in hopes of nailing his tone on older albums - in particular "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska". For me at least that era was the peak tone wise and music wise.

Don't do it that way. Use push/pulls on your volume and tone knobs. The p-rails can be run in 4 modes: rail, p90, series humbucker and parallel humbucker. I have them set like this:

Up/up: parallel hum
Up/down: rail
Down/up: p90
Down/down: series hum

Then wire your selector knob for neck, neck+bridge, bridge

(i'm assuming you don't have a middle pup)

Ah, thanks for the insight... I was wondering about running this type of setup after I made the post and started to dig into more info but the honey do's got in the way:roll I will now be giving it serious thought.

Ty and Dug came by our suite at the Hilton a couple of times today. Ty is definitely using the amps in the Axe-Fx. He used his Ultra for all amp tones and effects on their last tour. He mentioned that he's basically nailed his old Lab Series tone with a slightly modified stock preset. Perhaps we can learn more about this in the future.

Dug told me "Ty sounds INCREDIBLE through your amps." He's coming back tomorrow to talk about putting an Ultra in his own rig.

Ty and Dug came by our suite at the Hilton a couple of times today. Ty is definitely using the amps in the Axe-Fx. He used his Ultra for all amp tones and effects on their last tour. He mentioned that he's basically nailed his old Lab Series tone with a slightly modified stock preset. Perhaps we can learn more about this in the future.

Dug told me "Ty sounds INCREDIBLE through your amps." He's coming back tomorrow to talk about putting an Ultra in his own rig.

Wow, that's great news! I love both of their tones.

Dug might be getting one too! That is great news! I think he gets his bass sound by running an Ampeg SVT for the lows and a guitar amp for the highs with distortion. Seems like the Ax would be perfect for that...

Back
Top Bottom