Two unrelated but entertaining videos

That clip-on slide contraption is very cool, and his playing is amazing as well.
I thought it was a slide too, at first... But the more I watched it the more I think it is some kind of roller to make his fretting on the fretless neck be smoother.

Because only a single note was playing during those parts...

I'm trying to find more info but no luck yet.

I thought it was a slide too, at first... But the more I watched it the more I think it is some kind of roller to make his fretting on the fretless neck be smoother.

Because only a single note was playing during those parts...

I'm trying to find more info but no luck yet.

It's a slide. He's generally resting the index finger one string down from the one being played to mute it.

It's a slide. He's generally resting the index finger one string down from the one being played to mute it.
Ok. That was my other thought but then I figured the other strings would be ringing, too. But maybe he's tilting it or something?

I'd love to see a closer view of rig and how it works.

Ok. That was my other thought but then I figured the other strings would be ringing, too. But maybe he's tilting it or something?

I'd love to see a closer view of rig and how it works.

He has the string height set for the slide to only contact the three highest strings. Open strings ringing wouldn't be too much of a problem (and even sound nice IMO) with cleaner/acoustic playing.

With the top two strings a fourth apart you'd probably hear the first string ringing mostly at its third (oct + 5th) harmonic (equal to second string's fourth harmonic) if you were to play then mute a note on the second string.

He has the string height set for the slide to only contact the three highest strings. Open strings ringing wouldn't be too much of a problem (and even sound nice IMO) with cleaner/acoustic playing.

With the top two strings a fourth apart you'd probably hear the first string ringing mostly at its third (oct + 5th) harmonic (equal to second string's fourth harmonic) if you were to play then mute a note on the second string.
I just watched again on a screen bigger than my iPhone ;) and I can clearly see you are correct.

There are several places in the piece were he plays a lower note on the slide neck and the pitch doesn't change when he moves the slide. Also, in a few spots you can see the nut height is significantly lower on the 3 lowest pitched strings.

Another cool thing about this type of slide, when released, it's already on the previous note played, making it easier to pickup where you left off. If the inventor went on Shark Tank, Kevin "Mr. Wonderful" O'Leary would be very interested in a deal! :guitar: :moneybag:

Back
Top Bottom