Two or more loops for same patch?

Bryan Johnson

Had Axe Fx for a while, but want to know if its possible to use the looper to record and play back two or more loops using the same patch. I use to have a boomerang looper unit. I liked that you could immediately record, save, and switch between two or more loops and play over them. Right now, with the looper on axe you can only play and record one loop. If you want to make a new one, you have to erase your old loop. So, if the Axe can do this, i'd be so happy.

Thanks.

Actualy There is a way to have two mono loops, because the looper block is stereo. This is my little trick with it :
I put a volume block just before of the looper.
Lets say loop 1 is left and loop 2 is right.

record or dub on loop 1 : set VOL pan left
record or dub on loop 2 : set VOL pan right
play loop 1 : set LOOPER pan left
play loop 2 : set LOOPER pan right
play loop 1 and 2 : set LOOPER pan middle

Then you need to put a block after the looper to put your signal back to mono, like a mixer, or a filter with the pan left and pan right at 0.
You can also put 2 vol blocks after, so then you have 2 effects chains, 1 with loop 1, the other with loop 2.

I use a LF+12+ to control the axe, so I made some IAs to control this in a nice way, so I have 5 buttons :
1 - record on first tap or play/stop loop 1
2 - record on first tap or play/stop loop 2
3 - dub loop 1
4 - dub loop 2
5 - errase memory ( the 1 and 2 buttons will do record)

I dont know which controler you have but I am sure you can manage something.
Otherwise, you can also use scenes with scene controlers to directly program your looper to switch loops on scene change. WIth scene controller 1 matched to the VOL pan and scene controller 2 to the LOOPER pan
For example :
scene 1, you record in the loop 1(VOL pan left) and play both loops (LOOPER pan middle)
scene 2, you dub in loop 2 (VOL pan right), and play both loops (LOOPER pan middle)
scene 3, you still dub in loop 2 (VOL pan right),but you mute the first loop (LOOPER pan right)
etc....

At some point I wanted to get a Boomerang looper to be able to do more looping stuff, but with this workaround I think the axe looper is really more powerfull, because :
-I can put effects after the looper (my send return is already taken on the axe), so for examplewhen you stop the loop, the reverb is still doing the job on the loop
-I use 4 pickups on my hurdy gurdy, so I can make a patch where I will only loop string 1.
-I can trigger looper action with sound patch changes, so fo live it is less work for my feets^^.

Hope this trick can help you :)

that sounds excellent! I'll try this right away. I'm using the MFC 101. Boomerang was nice, but i like playing different tones over a loop, and with the rang, doesn't really work that way.

Actualy There is a way to have two mono loops, because the looper block is stereo. This is my little trick with it :
I put a volume block just before of the looper.
Lets say loop 1 is left and loop 2 is right.

record or dub on loop 1 : set VOL pan left
record or dub on loop 2 : set VOL pan right
play loop 1 : set LOOPER pan left
play loop 2 : set LOOPER pan right
play loop 1 and 2 : set LOOPER pan middle

Then you need to put a block after the looper to put your signal back to mono, like a mixer, or a filter with the pan left and pan right at 0.
You can also put 2 vol blocks after, so then you have 2 effects chains, 1 with loop 1, the other with loop 2.

I use a LF+12+ to control the axe, so I made some IAs to control this in a nice way, so I have 5 buttons :
1 - record on first tap or play/stop loop 1
2 - record on first tap or play/stop loop 2
3 - dub loop 1
4 - dub loop 2
5 - errase memory ( the 1 and 2 buttons will do record)

I dont know which controler you have but I am sure you can manage something.
Otherwise, you can also use scenes with scene controlers to directly program your looper to switch loops on scene change. WIth scene controller 1 matched to the VOL pan and scene controller 2 to the LOOPER pan
For example :
scene 1, you record in the loop 1(VOL pan left) and play both loops (LOOPER pan middle)
scene 2, you dub in loop 2 (VOL pan right), and play both loops (LOOPER pan middle)
scene 3, you still dub in loop 2 (VOL pan right),but you mute the first loop (LOOPER pan right)
etc....

At some point I wanted to get a Boomerang looper to be able to do more looping stuff, but with this workaround I think the axe looper is really more powerfull, because :
-I can put effects after the looper (my send return is already taken on the axe), so for examplewhen you stop the loop, the reverb is still doing the job on the loop
-I use 4 pickups on my hurdy gurdy, so I can make a patch where I will only loop string 1.
-I can trigger looper action with sound patch changes, so fo live it is less work for my feets^^.

Hope this trick can help you :)

This is one of the most kickass solutions I've ever seen. And used with a hurdy gurdy no less.

Back
Top Bottom