Two Notes IR's

Mark Pritchard

Experienced
Hi all, has anyone tried incorporating Two Notes DynIR's with their Axe, I'm thinking of trying it but does anyone know what hardware i'd need and if it works?

Thanks

I've heard that they're not compatible w/ the Fractal Audio architecture ..., you'd have to by a Two-Notes hardware product.

I'd like to try them, but their form factor just doesn't do it for me and I'm too cheap to spend the money !

If you are looking at integrating it with just your Axe Fx and not providing a load with any actual amps, the Torpedo Cab M+ is your ticket. Or Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin loaded up in a DAW. I was just experimenting with the Friedman DynIRs pack just recently, using an older Torpedo Cab model. It was good!

The only way I can think to do it is to run the wall of sound vst in your DAW, find the sound you like, export a 60 second sine wave through the daw with the wall of sound vst on. Then using Voxengo deconvolver to create the IR and import into the cab block

I had the Captor X for a while, and used a few of those. I really liked their IR's of Victory cabs.

The Captor X loaded the files from the cloud straight to the device, but for WOS, it would have to be stored on the computer somewhere. It makes me wonder if the DynIR file could be extracted to see all the individual IRs used. It is very possible that there is some sort of encryption of the files that would require a proprietary two notes key to properly extract, so it may be a waste of time. I bet there are others who have tried it, and mentioned the results on other forums.

Just so you know: There is absolutely nothing dynamic about the TwoNotes DynIR. It is just a regular IR with a 'moving the microphone' interface that likely just interpolates between different recorded IRs.

The new Celestion speaker simulation does seem to include some actual speaker dynamics (compression and distortion)

If you are looking at integrating it with just your Axe Fx and not providing a load with any actual amps, the Torpedo Cab M+ is your ticket. Or Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin loaded up in a DAW. I was just experimenting with the Friedman DynIRs pack just recently, using an older Torpedo Cab model. It was good!
Thanks, I thought the Cab M would be the way to go. I think i'll get one and try it. Thanks.

Just so you know: There is absolutely nothing dynamic about the TwoNotes DynIR. It is just a regular IR with a 'moving the microphone' interface that likely just interpolates between different recorded IRs.

The new Celestion speaker simulation does seem to include some actual speaker dynamics (compression and distortion)

Thanks mate, I'm sure there's not but im intrigued to try the Dave Friedman and Phil X cabs as I believe the cab is 60% of the tone.

I should of just said the Two Notes IR's, I'm not fussed about the DYN of it TBH. Thanks
I think people coming from the Two Notes ecosystem probably understand that DYN just means that you can visually move the mic around like the other proprietary Two Notes cabs, instead of only having a display that tells you the IR name. I can see how outside the Two Notes ecosystem, it could imply characteristics like dynamics that don't exist in IRs.

I don't think the Celestion Speaker Mix is any different either.

My favorite cab sim plugin is the ML Sound Lab MIKKO because it makes it absolutely child's play to make your multi-mic IR mixes using their selection of cabs. It employs blending between multiple IRs and you can then export the end result for use on any device.

I tried the Celestion Speaker Mix demo version and felt it did not sound any better. The room mic options were what added some value and were something I could not replicate with MIKKO. But you cannot export IRs out of the Celestion app and its UI is not very good. All the other features felt like complete fluff to me.

So far I haven't tried anything that seemed like a true sound improvement in cab sims. I think the MIKKO style UIs with freely movable mics are the future for current tech because they make adjusting things a lot easier than working with file browser style setups like Fractal has.

I don't think the Celestion Speaker Mix is any different either.

My favorite cab sim plugin is the ML Sound Lab MIKKO because it makes it absolutely child's play to make your multi-mic IR mixes using their selection of cabs. It employs blending between multiple IRs and you can then export the end result for use on any device.

I tried the Celestion Speaker Mix demo version and felt it did not sound any better. The room mic options were what added some value and were something I could not replicate with MIKKO. But you cannot export IRs out of the Celestion app and its UI is not very good. All the other features felt like complete fluff to me.

So far I haven't tried anything that seemed like a true sound improvement in cab sims. I think the MIKKO style UIs with freely movable mics are the future for current tech because they make adjusting things a lot easier than working with file browser style setups like Fractal has.
If you watch the demo video I posted, he demonstrates some dynamics in the type of saturation and compression. Nothing better than what we can already do in the Axe, but actual dynamics opposite Mikko and TwoNotes. This is also why you cannot export IRs from the Celestion app, the IR cannot capture the dynamics.

I think people coming from the Two Notes ecosystem probably understand that DYN just means that you can visually move the mic around like the other proprietary Two Notes cabs, instead of only having a display that tells you the IR name. I can see how outside the Two Notes ecosystem, it could imply characteristics like dynamics that don't exist in IRs.
This. When you consider the way Metallurgy does the user interface for IRs, I think a consensus is building that this is the way to present IRs to the user. Sorry to say it, but a long flat list of IR's that you can't reorganize is starting to look a little dated.

Thanks, so do you put an Effects loop block in place of the cab in the Axe and then use that for you Two Notes hardware?

I have loved Wall of Sound for a while now, and when I got the Axe-FX III I tried to capture IRs from it the same way I’ve successfully captured IRs from other plugins, by sending a 30 second sine wave through it and deconvolving using Reaverb. But it does not work with Wall of Sound for some reason, which tells me there’s more going on. The IRs I've gotten, only the ones I've captured from Wall of Sound, have sounded just totally wrong and totally different from the plugin, as if there were no cabinet at all; just very weird sounding.

However, I have been able to capture them using the Axe-FX III IR Capture utility, and weirdly, that works just fine! I've always wondered what the difference is.

I have loved Wall of Sound for a while now, and when I got the Axe-FX III I tried to capture IRs from it the same way I’ve successfully captured IRs from other plugins, by sending a 30 second sine wave through it and deconvolving using Reaverb. But it does not work with Wall of Sound for some reason, which tells me there’s more going on. The IRs I've gotten, only the ones I've captured from Wall of Sound, have sounded just totally wrong and totally different from the plugin, as if there were no cabinet at all; just very weird sounding.

However, I have been able to capture them using the Axe-FX III IR Capture utility, and weirdly, that works just fine! I've always wondered what the difference is.
I take it you need Two Notes hardware for this?

Back
Top Bottom