Two notes , impulses GOOD LORD!

Why do you say Axe can't do that sort of cab modelling? what's so special about it? I don't think it sounds better than the Axe, at all. Those guitars are mixed terribly loud, in order to impress, imho. They don't impress me.

marvinx said:
I know the current axe can't do that sort of cab modelling but im hoping a future axe will be able to. At a much more reasonable price.

:?: :?: :?:

Xavi Garci said:
Why do you say Axe can't do that sort of cab modelling? what's so special about it? I don't think it sounds better than the Axe, at all. Those guitars are mixed terribly loud, in order to impress, imho. They don't impress me.

+1

Now, if you have a traditional "head" that you're married to .... Well this might present an interesting option, but if you like the Axe's Amp Models, then I'd rather put the $$$$'s into a really cool FRFR set up.

But that's just me ....

Those tones were cool and agressive but it would be really easy to get this kind of tone out of the Axe-Fx. F.ex. Redwirez Mesa V30 0" Cone SM57 sounds pretty close to that but wayyyy tighter. IMO the two notes tone is a bit muddy and doesn't cut as it should in a good mix. It sounds good when it's loud like that but it makes all the other instruments sound like background instruments. So the drummer is pissed and the bass player doesn't exist. A true ego-guitarist's tone. :D The metal clip was a slight FAIL IMHO. I guess it doesn't take low tunings as well as it should. This actually reminded me a lot of Revalver.

If you want me to prove it I can match that tone... it'll be a waste of my time but it really shouldn't be hard to get this tone and I can prove it. The attack on the rock1 clip is something I'd get out of a Diezel or Orange so Das Metall or Citrus RV50 are good starting points. Keep the EQ settings close to 12 o'clock.

Yeah, it's a nice alternative for the guy who wants to use his favorite tube amp for direct recording but I didn't hear anything in the audio/video clips that can't be achieved with the Axe. With the Axe-Fx's user slots you can load your own custom IR's or Redwire's that have the same ability to use different cabs,mics,placement and mic pre's that give you the same results that the Two Notes unit is doing. Besides, If Jay says it can, that's all I need to hear. I think he's knows a little bit about this stuff. ;)

The IR's in the torpedo can be changed dynamically in real time.It may simply be panning between multiple static Ir's, but i am unsure. You can only load one IR at a time into the axe and it remains static. The ir's in the torpedo are of much greater length. The axe fx cannot load IR's of that length currently.

Ir's beyond the axe-fx's length may contain more than speaker energy, and to me that is precisely why it sounds so good.

It is not the same.

I believe the creator came in here a while ago and cleared that up however.
~mx~

Clark Kent said:
Those tones were cool and agressive but it would be really easy to get this kind of tone out of the Axe-Fx. F.ex. Redwirez Mesa V30 0" Cone SM57 sounds pretty close to that but wayyyy tighter. IMO the two notes tone is a bit muddy and doesn't cut as it should in a good mix. It sounds good when it's loud like that but it makes all the other instruments sound like background instruments. So the drummer is pissed and the bass player doesn't exist. A true ego-guitarist's tone. :D The metal clip was a slight FAIL IMHO. I guess it doesn't take low tunings as well as it should. This actually reminded me a lot of Revalver.

If you want me to prove it I can match that tone... it'll be a waste of my time but it really shouldn't be hard to get this tone and I can prove it. The attack on the rock1 clip is something I'd get out of a Diezel or Orange so Das Metall or Citrus RV50 are good starting points. Keep the EQ settings close to 12 o'clock.

makes sense, revalver sounds better to me personally, but the support isnt a blip on the radar compared to fractal, so i use the axe-fx.

If i am defining the torpedo's cab modelling as supporting IR length beyond what the axe-fx can support, , then the axe cannot produce the SAME end result, which to my ears, is more amiable.

I find the high end on these clips to be more natural than what is produced with the axe. The only time i have been able to acheive similar results is by using the axe sims running into full length redwire IR's loaded into revalver.

It was close but IMO, still not on the same level as these clips. Alas those were the actual amps being run into the Torpedo unit, so it is expected.

Some people hear it, some people don't.

I'm quite satisfied with me axe, but IMO it achieves 95% of the timbre i'd like to hear.
Those clips are 100% to ME.

I think it partially has to do with the IR's, because as i mentioned i prefer the axe-fx into full lenth IR's.

I suppose the other 2.5% comes from using actual tube amps.
~mx~

too_much_power said:
marvinx said:
Those clips are 100% to ME.

Coincidentally, those clips sound nothing like a pro recording.

Possibly in your opinion. They are precisely what i want to hear in fully realized recording. Guitar-wise that is. Obviously the mixes are aimed at displaying the guitar.

~mx~

marvinx said:

I can hear the mix is absolutely terrible in those demos, some people hear it, some people don't.

Clark Kent said:
the two notes tone is a bit muddy and doesn't cut as it should in a good mix.

Exactly. Some people hear it, some people don't.

I think Axe's IR length is enough as it is, a longer impulse only captures some extra room reflections, which does not make it more "real". Jay Mitchell explained this much better than I could, in other thread.

Xavi Garci said:
marvinx said:

I can hear the mix is absolutely terrible in those demos, some people hear it, some people don't.

marvinx said:
the two notes tone is a bit muddy and doesn't cut as it should in a good mix.

Exactly. Some people hear it, some people don't.

I think Axe's IR length is enough as it is, a longer impulse only captures some extra room reflections, which does not make it more "real". Jay Mitchell explained this much better than I could, in other thread.

Thanks for the oh-so useless sarcasm.

I was referring to the difference in sound, as some had stated that they heard nothing that could not be done with the axe.

I didn't say the extra length made it more real, i said i preferred it ( which it turns out im allowed to do). And i mentioned that the extra length is not necessary to impart accurate speaker information.

I also mentioned that the mix was not a "good" one.

You should READ FIRST , and apply worthless sarcasm later, or even never .

oh and btw, you some how screwed up the quotes because i never said it was muddy.
~mx~

Regardless this thread is now pointless ( my fault )as i have now answered my original question via research. Thanks to those who provided not belligerent responses.
~mx~

Sorry about my mistake in the quotes, it is edited now. About the sarcasm, I don't have any reason to think your ear can hear things I can't hear, my ears work reasonably well. You are sarcastic when you imply you have a better ear than the rest of us. Those kind of comments "Some people hear it, some people don't" are unnecesarily offensive in my opinion.
It wasn't my intention to be beligerant, I just don't like those kind of comments, specially when there are people on this thread like Jay Mitchell, Yek, Clark Kent, and others, who I think have demonstrated great knowledge, ear and experience enough times to be respected.

Hey there's no need to get offended here. This is a taste issue so we don't need to agree with each other. marvinx happens to think the twonotes tone is what he wants and has every right to have his own opinion. I honestly think that the tone was ok but many guitar tones sound amazing on their own like f.ex. a Mesa Mark IV sound great when scooped but in a mix situation it's a whole different thing. Realistically speaking a good tone would be a tone that fits a certain song and cuts through just the right amount in a mix. I can't judge this tone since it's not in a proper mix situation. When talking about guitar tones it should fit the bass track well and not block the snare drum but should get mixed with the overheads and still have room for vocals... so I can't really judge this all too well. But sounds ok. I would cut a lot around 250hz.... A LOT! :)

Xavi Garci said:
Sorry about my mistake in the quotes, it is edited now. About the sarcasm, I don't have any reason to think your ear can hear things I can't hear, my ears work reasonably well. You are sarcastic when you imply you have a better ear than the rest of us. Those kind of comments "Some people hear it, some people don't" are unnecesarily offensive in my opinion.
It wasn't my intention to be beligerant, I just don't like those kind of comments, specially when there are people on this thread like Jay Mitchell, Yek, Clark Kent, and others, who I think have demonstrated great knowledge, ear and experience enough times to be respected.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I generated the comment, so am aware of what i meant by it.
I'm not trying to put others down in anyway, it's just been my experience that some folks hear certain details and others either can't hear or don't pay attention to. Sometimes the details don't even matter to their ear.

"some hear it some dont" is a fact.

Incidentally the last time i went to the doctor , he did tell me that i could detect frequencies above what the average person my age could. And it is widely known that years of exposure to loud sound (i.e. blasting guitar amps) can reduce your ability to perceive higher frequencies (the first to go). I have no idea how many years you've been playing guitar or anyone else for that matter so i won't presume to judge your hearing. My exposure to very loud guitar sounds has been obsessively limited.

I really don't care how much experience someone has, nor will i lend them "respect/reverence" in the form of blindly accepting anything they say even if i feel it does not apply. Jay is very knowledgeable. I knew what he was talking about however, and it was not the same as what i was talking about. I may not have been clear enough however in my description. Regardless, I hear what i hear. And if you don't you don't, dig? You could blame it on psyco-acoustics but my experience has shown me it is not. And frankly i wan't the axe to be able to produce all the sounds i want. I am very very cheap, i don't want to buy jack ever again if i don't have to. I am biased towards the axe. I spent 1500 bucks on it, which to me is a bucket of cash. In the end though, i hear what i hear.

---

Anyways my intent was not to offend, i will presume your intent was not to either. We have an understanding now.

Clark Kent said:
Hey there's no need to get offended here. This is a taste issue so we don't need to agree with each other. marvinx happens to think the twonotes tone is what he wants and has every right to have his own opinion. I honestly think that the tone was ok but many guitar tones sound amazing on their own like f.ex. a Mesa Mark IV sound great when scooped but in a mix situation it's a whole different thing. Realistically speaking a good tone would be a tone that fits a certain song and cuts through just the right amount in a mix. I can't judge this tone since it's not in a proper mix situation. When talking about guitar tones it should fit the bass track well and not block the snare drum but should get mixed with the overheads and still have room for vocals... so I can't really judge this all too well. But sounds ok. I would cut a lot around 250hz.... A LOT! :)

I appreciate your equity and reasonableness.
~mx~

marvinx said:
The IR's in the torpedo can be changed dynamically in real time.
This is a huge error, because it implies that the torpedo does dynamic convolution. It does not.

It may simply be panning between multiple static Ir's, but i am unsure.
The only reason motivation for going beyond a linear IR - which is not "static" by any definition - is to accurately capture the effects of speaker distortion. This effect is highly overrated, and, more importantly the torpedo does not capture these nonlinearities. It approximates them. So does the Axe-Fx.

The ir's in the torpedo are of much greater length.
That's an incredibly silly argument. The 1024-point IR used in the Axe-Fx is more than is ever needed to capture the response of a guitar speaker with inaudible error.

The axe fx cannot load IR's of that length currently.
And it never needs to.

Ir's beyond the axe-fx's length may contain more than speaker energy,
They do.

and to me that is precisely why it sounds so good.
IOW, you like the room reflections contained in longer IRs. That's what this wonderful invention called "reverb" is for. The Axe-Fx has that. Perhaps you should spend some time with it.

I believe the creator came in here a while ago and cleared that up however.
The creator acknowledged, on questioning from myself on another forum, the approximate nature of the torpedo's nonlinear modeling. It does not do dynamic convolution.

marvinx said:
Incidentally the last time i went to the doctor , he did tell me that i could detect frequencies above what the average person my age could.

Congratulations. Really, no sarcasm here.

marvinx said:
You could blame it on psyco-acoustics

I could.

marvinx said:
I have no idea how many years you've been playing guitar or anyone else for that matter so i won't presume to judge your hearing.

Exactly, you have no idea, please don't judge it, then.

marvinx said:
My exposure to very loud guitar sounds has been obsessively limited.

90% of my work as a musician has been playing classical violin, in orchestras or chamber music, I hate and avoid loud sounds, guitar or whatever. As profesional musicians it's very important to take care of our ears.

marvinx said:
Anyways my intent was not to offend, i will presume your intent was not to either. We have an understanding now.

My intent has never been to offend, I don't think I have ever offended anyone in this forum. I just don't like that kind of "my ears are better than yours" attitude, especially when my ears tell me otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom