Two Notes Cab Link removed

some of the thread comments mention intellectual property, copyrights, piracy, morals etc

I am ok with that, no problems at all even though it is a grey area

Lets look at the units in question, that i personally own, all registered in my name, so i presume for my own use and enjoyment and to be used as the hardware functions were intended for. I am leaving out the torpedo just in case i get another whipping but it still applies

I own a Kemper, happy with it, the purpose of this unit is "profiling", on rig exchange you will find thousands of profiles, amps,preamps and wait for it....... software amp sims and even tone matches of famous artists, that seems ok in the kemper camp. The other extraordinary feature of the kemper is it can handle 3rd party IR's, you have to use special software called CabMaker free to download from the manufacturers site, now here we go with this, you can open any WAV format IR and load into the Cabmaker which then converts into proprietary Kemper format to be imported into the Hardware, thats the only way to get any IR into its memory, so is that any different to what i have done

I own a AxeII, love it to bits, spanks the kemper but thats just IMO. many firmwares ago tone matching and IR capturing facilities were born, so i understand now that its ok to Capture a real life Cab with a real life Mic, but my concern is tone matching, audio is passed through the unit and analysed and converted into fractals SYX format. that's exactly what i have done.

I am not ranting here but can all the forum members that mentioned comments as regards to intellectual property, copyrights, piracy, morals etc. Have any of you used the tone match facility in the AXEII? that is streamed some other artists work into the hardware and tone matched into a proprietary format?

If so then your comments apply to your approach aswell

some of the thread comments mention intellectual property, copyrights, piracy, morals etc

Lets look at the units in question, that i personally own, all registered in my name, so i presume for my own use and enjoyment and to be used as the hardware functions were intended for. I am leaving out the torpedo just in case i get another whipping but it still applies

I own a Kemper, happy with it, the purpose of this unit is "profiling", on rig exchange you will find thousands of profiles, amps,preamps and wait for it....... software amp sims and even tone matches of famous artists, that seems ok in the kemper camp. The other extraordinary feature of the kemper is it can handle 3rd party IR's, you have to use special software called CabMaker free to download from the manufacturers site, now here we go with this, you can open any WAV format IR and load into the Cabmaker which then converts into proprietary Kemper format to be imported into the Hardware, thats the only way to get any IR into its memory, so is that any different to what i have done

I own a AxeII, love it to bits, spanks the kemper but thats just IMO. many firmwares ago tone matching and IR capturing facilities were born, so i understand now that its ok to Capture a real life Cab with a real life Mic, but my concern is tone matching, audio is passed through the unit and analysed and converted into fractals SYX format. that's exactly what i have done.

I am not ranting here but can all the forum members that mentioned comments as regards to intellectual property, copyrights, piracy, morals etc. Have any of you used the tone match facility in the AXEII? that is streamed some other artists work into the hardware and tone matched into a proprietary format?

I think the difference is that Tone matching, is matching the EQ frequency spectrum of the source, it's not using the source after it is done.

Can i suggest something for the next firmware update please

can you consider putting a "Parental Control" feature in place, so that when we are having our immature moments certain features and functions can be disabled to keep the world safe and happy

Well the wave format IR's fall into the same category though; if it's commercially sold you can do what you need to if you own it, but once you distribute it then it falls into the questionable to illegal area.

But you do bring up an interesting point about profiling other hardware. Even then I don't think that it is an issue because it's a function of the device that is doing the profiling, not the direct conversion of a file or data. I know that it's like splitting hairs or talking semantics, but this is the world that this stuff exists right now.

Here is another example.

You just bought a CD of a commercial production. You then ripped that CD to a digital medium and shared or resold it.

Or you bought a comic book. You then scanned each page, converted to PDF and shared or resold.

This is the same as buying a cabinet Sim, tone matching it's IR's and sharing or reselling.

I don't think anyone is putting you down or parenting you... I think we are just sharing our views as we understand it.

Seriously guys no offence taken and i welcome all your feedback

I haven't lost anything out on this i still enjoy the IR's from the product

By the way the " Parental Control" request feature that i mentioned previously was making light of the matter to stop me getting into trouble again, actually that might be a good thing ha

This hole can be dug as deep as one wants to continue , to me it can get to the point of picking fly crap out of pepper !:)!

Sometimes you do things as a professional courtesy, not because they're illegal.

The key word here is "Sometimes".................Fractal & Kemper's(to name a couple) main goal is to digitally copy for profit, the tones/feel/quirks etc..of the worlds greatest tube amps without permission(this is not illegal as long as you change the amp names to protect the "innocent"). They change the names just enough to avoid lawsuits and still be able to benefit from the millions spent on branding by the actual tube amp companies!

Where is the "professional courtesy" of which you speak in this instance?

You seem to have no problem rewarding at least 1 of these digital scoundrels with your business(you even beta test for them!)

I myself gladly reward Fractal/Kemper & Line6! lol

Im having fun reading all this for some reason and I go back and forth. I do find it interesting that some company or person takes a real piece of property trademarked, copyrighted by someone else and makes it digital, and sells it. Using the actual name ie. this is a 2x12 marshall or engl. This is different in my mind then using it to make a recording and sell the music, because that of course is what its for. Original cabinet companies didnt say hey use my cab to make a digital version then sell it so no one has to buy my cabs anymore and can just mimic them digitally.

But then someone digitally remakes that first digital "copy cats" IR, of course throwing their spin on it (by using some other device so its not truly a copy like copying a cd); THEN that person gets upset. So TN gets upset that someone is essentially doing what they are doing, not bothering to see if the original cab and mic companies mind. ( I know it takes of course more effort to use a cab and mic etc. but effort aside its similar)

Again a fun brain exercise and none of us can answer the question, we just make our 'own' decisions and offer courtesy if we choose. Im not judging either way.

The key word here is "Sometimes".................Fractal & Kemper's(to name a couple) main goal is to digitally copy for profit, the tones/feel/quirks etc..of the worlds greatest tube amps without permission(this is not illegal as long as you change the amp names to protect the "innocent"). They change the names just enough to avoid lawsuits and still be able to benefit from the millions spent on branding by the actual tube amp companies!

Where is the "professional courtesy" of which you speak in this instance?

You seem to have no problem rewarding at least 1 of these digital scoundrels with your business(you even beta test for them!)

I myself gladly reward Fractal/Kemper & Line6! lol

If they were copying the circuitry and making the same amps under a different name or even a counterfeit label than that's illegal. Completely different technology here.

I liken it to a car vs. a jet. Both are modes of transportation; they both get you from A to B, but in very different manners.

If they were copying the circuitry and making the same amps under a different name or even a counterfeit label than that's illegal. Completely different technology here.

I liken it to a car vs. a jet. Both are modes of transportation; they both get you from A to B, but in very different manners.

Disagree. In the context we're talking about this here, it is analogous to tonematching the Two Notes IRs.

It's kinda like recorded music. When you bought a cassette or CD, you weren't supposed to resell it. You also weren't supposed to record it onto a blank cassette or CD and resell that. You could however record it to a blank to use for yourself, like a 2nd copy for the car, or to wear out the copy and not the original.

Copying the fishman IR for use with your axe seems totally legit to me. Especially by keeping the pedal and not selling or distributing the IR copies.

Digital has changed "ownership" over the past decades and it's fascinating that it affect guitar cabinets etc. now.

Makes sense. I made a living selling software for years, so am finicky about "stealing" someone's hard work.

I pay for all software and music etc. Grabbing Aura images as IRs is morecabout convenience and being able to switch which image I use by switching presets.

Zero intentions of selling the Aura.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom