TWO new Cab-Packs!

As for the stock cabs. The "None" mic, not to be confused with "Null" gives the sound of the cab without any mic model coloration. RTFM folks.

This is confusing.

Most of the stock IR"s are captured with mic's normally used to mic guitar cabs in a studio; not reference mics.

The mic pick list in the cab block is a simulation and doesn't change the mic used to capture the IR.

You obviously can choose "none" with the new cab packs too... right?

And you are not correct about "null". Null adds zero coloration too, just like "none", the difference is "null" enables other controls in the cab block, e.g. proximity. These controls do nothing with "none".

Is there a reason Cab pack 14's free inclusion of CP5 only includes XL syx files? I converted the IRs with cab lab but theoretically a MkII owner who does not own cab-lab might have a need for them.

Axe-Edit, Cab-Lab, and Fractal-Bot will all load any Axe-Fx II SysEx User Cab file into any Axe-Fx II model -- original, Mk2, XL, XL+

This is confusing.

Most of the stock IR"s are captured with mic's normally used to mic guitar cabs in a studio; not reference mics.

The mic pick list in the cab block is a simulation and doesn't change the mic used to capture the IR.

You obviously can choose "none" with the new cab packs too... right?

And you are not correct about "null". Null adds zero coloration too, just like "none", the difference is "null" enables other controls in the cab block, e.g. proximity. These controls do nothing with "none".

If the stock cabs weren't shot with reference mics, what were they shot with? It would be pretty dumb to use the SM57 mic model for example, if the cab model itself was created with an SM57.

Stock cabs aside. The IR packs I've purchased included reference IRs, and those are what sound best to me.

Realize that you're talking to a person who actually created some of the stock cabs. :D Trust me, most of the stock IRs are NOT shot with reference mics.

I'm aware of that, and would be curious to know which stock IRs were captured with which mics.

No offence though. There's nothing wrong with liking reference mic captures and those presets but it's not going to give you the most authentic tone.

Define "authentic tone". Everyone has their own ideas about what that is. I've personally never liked the way a 57 sounds on most cabs.

If the stock cabs weren't shot with reference mics, what were they shot with? It would be pretty dumb to use the SM57 mic model for example, if the cab model itself was created with an SM57.

Stock cabs aside. The IR packs I've purchased included reference IRs, and those are what sound best to me.

Some of the stock IR's are mixes of multiple microphones. Some are single mics? I think?

Also, the preamp and poweramp used to capture the IR do influence the sound. (The poweramp influence is eliminated in the more recent Mic+DI IR captures and from the ML Sound Labs IR's in general. ML was eliminating the poweramp influence really early on.)

The use of the mic models in the cab block are personal taste.

I used to regularly add them for EQ. Like adding the R121 sim to add some body to an IR.

Recently I've stopped because I feel the newer IR's I'm using don't need that for what I like. (Although I do still use proximity live.)

Quite a while ago FAS switched from considering reference microphones to capturing IR's just like you would track in a studio. And the microphone -> Preamp (-> and poweramp) EQ are "baked in".

The recent Mic+DI capture method removes the poweramp influence but leaves the preamp and microphone influence.

I'm aware of that, and would be curious to know which stock IRs were captured with which mics.

Define "authentic tone". Everyone has their own ideas about what that is. I've personally never liked the way a 57 sounds on most cabs.

Opinions are opinions. Like I said it's perfectly fine for you to like those neutral mic IRs. However using a neutral IR with a mic preset is not authentic. That can be measured so it's not an opinion.

With authentic I mean the closest thing to miking a cabinet in real life and comparing the real signal to the IR.

Most likely some if not all of the stock IRs you use are not shot with a neutral mic. The mic presets are nice tools that even professionals use.

I think most all of the folks currently offering IRs for sale have evolved away from using neutral mics to capture IRs and have "gone back" to the tried and true approach of using traditional mics, etc. I think that's why you may not be seeing them available in more recent offerings vs. the older stuff from Redwire, etc. Things have moved away from that approach in the last few years.

Which, again, is unfortunate.

Using a "neutral" IR with a simulated mic does not sound the same as an IR using that mic. It simply can't. Neutral mics like the Earthworks TC series are nearly omnidirectional. They operate by using a very small aperture as compared to traditional mics that have effective apertures orders of magnitude bigger.

The physics of this is very complicated and I wouldn't even want to begin to try to simulate it. I can only say my personal experience is that so-called neutral IRs just don't sound good.

Now, if you're looking for far-field IRs then an Earthworks would be my mic of choice but it's difficult to capture far-field IRs. It requires a very large space (like an airplane hanger or outdoors) and specialized techniques (ground plane measurement) and most people don't have access to these.

I will add that if I were to design a Cab block today I wouldn't even include a Mic parameter. I NEVER use Mic simulation anymore. I simply find an IR I like and EQ as desired.

Using a "neutral" IR with a simulated mic does not sound the same as an IR using that mic. It simply can't. Neutral mics like the Earthworks TC series are nearly omnidirectional. They operate by using a very small aperture as compared to traditional mics that have effective apertures orders of magnitude bigger.

The physics of this is very complicated and I wouldn't even want to begin to try to simulate it. I can only say my personal experience is that so-called neutral IRs just don't sound good.

Now, if you're looking for far-field IRs then an Earthworks would be my mic of choice but it's difficult to capture far-field IRs. It requires a very large space (like an airplane hanger or outdoors) and specialized techniques (ground plane measurement) and most people don't have access to these.

I will add that if I were to design a Cab block today I wouldn't even include a Mic parameter. I NEVER use Mic simulation anymore. I simply find an IR I like and EQ as desired.

Cliff,

Thank you for the clarification. Perhaps I'll give the cab pack 14 a shot after all. If nothing else, for the Cali cab. ;)

Just purchased Cab Pack 14 today and loaded up a few cabs to try.

I must say , using a stereo cab set up with the Friedman and 5150 (using El34s) with two different Lerxst cabs, a ported one and a normal is sounding phenomenal. Compared it to may previous favourite with X and Y function and am very pleased with the result.Definately recommend this cab pack.

Just bought Cab Pack 14 last night and I'm loving the crap out of it so far. I can't wait to get off work so I can play those glorious cabs some more. Hell, I may even call in sick tomorrow. :lol

Out of all the IR's I've tried, (Recabinet, Redwirez, Ownhammer, The Amp Factory), these ones seem to suit me best. AND 3 DIFFERENT MESA CABS!!!!

A jolly good show, gentlemen! :encouragement:

I just downloaded Cab Pack 14 last night and seriously loved every cab in it!! I've yet to find that with any of the other cab packs I have. I think I've finally found my sound with the Lerxt IRs. I literally can't stop playing because things sound so good!

Thanks FAS!!!

Just purchased Cab Pack 14 today and loaded up a few cabs to try.

I must say , using a stereo cab set up with the Friedman and 5150 (using El34s) with two different Lerxst cabs, a ported one and a normal is sounding phenomenal. Compared it to may previous favourite with X and Y function and am very pleased with the result.Definately recommend this cab pack.

GAS is starting....

Just bought Cab Pack 14 last night and I'm loving the crap out of it so far. I can't wait to get off work so I can play those glorious cabs some more. Hell, I may even call in sick tomorrow. :lol

Out of all the IR's I've tried, (Recabinet, Redwirez, Ownhammer, The Amp Factory), these ones seem to suit me best. AND 3 DIFFERENT MESA CABS!!!!

A jolly good show, gentlemen! :encouragement:

GAS intensifies....

I just downloaded Cab Pack 14 last night and seriously loved every cab in it!! I've yet to find that with any of the other cab packs I have. I think I've finally found my sound with the Lerxt IRs. I literally can't stop playing because things sound so good!

Thanks FAS!!!

Alright you fargin bastages, you've convinced me.

Back
Top Bottom