Two MIDI controllers?

Sevendave

Hope this hasn't been covered already, I have searched!

Anyway, I'm looking to use two MIDI controllers with my Axe FX II XL. Basically the set up I'm looking for is this - iPad with Set List Maker app connected through bluetooth MIDI controlling patch changes, and a floorboard to control scene changes and expression pedals and also to display tuner info.

Am I right in thinking the only way to do this is with a MIDI merger box? The only way I've been able to come up with is with a MIDI merger -

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-06%20at%2002.31.33_zpsk6vxaz7x.png

Blue lines are bluetooth MIDI. MFC in the diagram is just a placeholder, will probably be a BJ Devices TB12. One side of the MIDI bluetooth is connected to a PSU as I believe this is where they draw power from.

Is there a better way to do this? I basically want MIDI in and out on the floorboard and just MIDI out from the iPad. Doing this as I play in a function band, and at the moment I'm dealing with a lot of patch changes, so having to print out set lists with patch numbers next to each song which isn't ideal. Also would like to streamline things as much as possible! Thanks for any help!

should work. i did it with a quadra. you'll have to sort out any conflicts, and probably make sure the iPad messages don't go through to the MIDI controller.

Great, cheers. Could I solve that by having the iPad and floorboard on different midi channels and the Axe set to omni?

Great, cheers. Could I solve that by having the iPad and floorboard on different midi channels and the Axe set to omni?
Probably not necessary. Just disable the Thru on the Axe. Omni is usually not a good idea, and you really wouldn't set the ipad or controller to a channel since they are sending.

Or just use ethercon for the mfc and regular midi for the other device...
MFC in the diagram was just a placeholder unfortunately, MFC would be overkill for me personally. If FAS made a 10/12 button cut down controller I'd be all over it but that's a different discussion.

Probably not necessary. Just disable the Thru on the Axe. Omni is usually not a good idea, and you really wouldn't set the ipad or controller to a channel since they are sending.
OK, will do. Didn't know omni wasn't a good idea with the Axe, but then at the moment I'm only using an FCB1010 so hardly a MIDI power user. Thanks for the help!

OK, will do. Didn't know omni wasn't a good idea with the Axe, but then at the moment I'm only using an FCB1010 so hardly a MIDI power user. Thanks for the help!
it's just always better to set things specifically how you need, rather than a "catch-all" with omni mode. some MIDI controllers send the same messages on all 16 channels at once, and on Omni, the Axe would receive them all. this has caused problems in the past, so setting it how it should be is better.

This thread is exciting. I've been experimenting with a similar Setlist Maker setup but don't trust it enough for live use until I've tested it more. Carry on folks. Photos please! :)

What also *might* work, if the FCB has MIDI In:

iPad MIDI Out > into > FCB MIDI In
FCB MIDI OUT > into > Axe-Fx.

FWIW, I also use both an iPad and foot controller. But I'm not using the iPad as main controller, it's only responding to incoming messages (from the Axe-Fx's MIDI Thru). I switch everything on my foot controller.

This thread is exciting. I've been experimenting with a similar Setlist Maker setup but don't trust it enough for live use until I've tested it more. Carry on folks. Photos please! :)

Our drummer uses it in our band to run clicks and backing tracks off of, as well as reading scores, some times the app can swap left and right channels which isn't ideal, as with backing tracks we have a click panned left and the track out right so if we're not checking then the audience can get click rather than backing! Hoping that the MIDI is a bit more robust, though the dev seems to be quite active on sorting out bugs.

If I get it all working then I'll start a new thread showing off the set up.

What also *might* work, if the FCB has MIDI In:

iPad MIDI Out > into > FCB MIDI In
FCB MIDI OUT > into > Axe-Fx.

FWIW, I also use both an iPad and foot controller. But I'm not using the iPad as main controller, it's only responding to incoming messages (from the Axe-Fx's MIDI Thru). I switch everything on my foot controller.

Hadn't thought of trying that, though I do want to upgrade the FCB to something that can display the axe fx tuner in the future which would need th MIDI in to be free

Back
Top Bottom