Two issues I've noticed since 7.04...

guittarzzan

Inspired
Since the 7.04 update, which I absolutely love, I've had two recurring issues happening randomly with the axe. I've not been using the editor when these issues have occurred so I can remove that possiblility from the equation.
-There is a lag time between when I turn a knob to adjust a parameter and when the numbers begin changing on the screen. This is making it irritating to adjust parameters because even after I've stopped turning the knob, the numers are still changing to "catch up" with what I did.

-The tuner is randomly non responsive. I'll turn on the axefx and the tuner shows stuck on, for example, b with the note being sharp etc and it doesn't matter what string or note I play, the tuner doesn't change. I turn off the unit and the same thing. I turn on the axefx the next day and the tuner is fine.

If the newest update has the dsp at it's limits and these are side effects, I'm ok with that because the sound quality matters most to me and it sounds great. If it's just a bug and can be fixed without sacrificing the good stuff then that would be cool.

Anyone else having these kinds of issues or am I just lucky?

cheers.

I suspect your first issue (time lag when turning knobs) is that your cpu load is close to maxed out. Next time you notice the behavior on a particular patch, check the cpu load. On my Ultra, anywhere near 94% becomes *very* sluggish. Over 94% it quickly becomes unresponsive.

I have no idea about your second issue (tuner), and have not seen that behavior on mine.

Yep that's what happens when the cpu gets maxed.

I had the same thing happen to me with the tuner. I'm not sure if that patch was taxing the axe-fx.

I'm doing a lot with double amp/cab combos going stereo out right now so I'll have to start watching to see if the tuner is going wacko on those heavy dsp useage presets.
If that's the case, then these really aren't bugs at all, but just the side effects of working in the red zone of the Ultra's capabilities. This was sort of my guess, which motivated my other post in the Ultra forum wondering if there was any talk of an Ultra Ultra with even more dsp. I don't think it would take much more to be able to handle the stuff I'm throwing at it without the side effects, but I know nothing about what it takes to do that on this thing. If it were as simple as installing a new cpu on mobo, that'd be sweet, but I'm guessing there's a lot more to it than that.
At the end of the day, I love this thing regardless.

Too much CPU. The GUI and tuner threads are lower priority so if the audio thread is using all the CPU then the GUI and tuner will bog down.

Back
Top Bottom