Two independent volume pedals

kirkbowman

I am trying to setup the Axe FX III to use two different volume pedals. The first is an EV-1 connected to an FC-6. The second is a Dunlop Mini connected to a RJM Mastermind LT.

I would like to be able to use either volume pedal to change the level regardless of the position of the other pedal. In addition, the EV-1 pedal is setup to engage the Tuner on heel down.

Any suggestions?

Don't know about the RJM Mastermind but I use the Dunlop Mini and an EV-1 hooked up through my FC-12. I have the Dunlop Mini hooked up in Global at the end output so that it doesn't take up a block and foot controls the entire output volume and works on all presets then I have the EV-1 set set in a volume/pan block per preset after the input for violin, pedal steel and swell effects. Make sure you recalibrate both pedals or you might only get 95% of the throw of the pedals. Carter Cooper does a great video on how to set up the pedal in Global as I described and also how to set it up to turn on/off the tuner as well.

Last edited:
Don't know about the RJM Mastermind but I use the Dunlop Mini and an EV-1 hooked up through my FC-12. I have the Dunlop Mini hooked up in Global at the end output so that it doesn't take up a block and foot controls the entire output volume and works on all presets then I have the EV-1 set set in a volume/pan block per preset after the input for violin, pedal steel and swell effects. Make sure you recalibrate both pedals or you might only get 95% of the throw of the pedals. Carter Cooper does a great video on how to set up the pedal in Global as I described and also how to set it up to turn on/off the tuner as well.

This isn't going to allow both the pedals to control volume independent of the other.

If the "global" volume is off it won't matter what you do with the other pedal...

I am trying to setup the Axe FX III to use two different volume pedals. The first is an EV-1 connected to an FC-6. The second is a Dunlop Mini connected to a RJM Mastermind LT.

I would like to be able to use either volume pedal to change the level regardless of the position of the other pedal. In addition, the EV-1 pedal is setup to engage the Tuner on heel down.

Any suggestions?
I think the only possible way to do what you want would be by using midi with both pedals using the same CC.

You can assign 2 modifiers to a control a parameter in the Axe Fx but they "interact" with each other, so they won't be independently in control.

This isn't going to allow both the pedals to control volume independent of the other.

If the "global" volume is off it won't matter what you do with the other pedal...
I don't know how you could control the volume independently of one another. I

I would suggest rather than using both through the devices run one as a normal volume pedal from your guitar into the Axe and then the other though the unit because I don't see how you can use one without affecting the other.

I don't know how you could control the volume independently of one another. I

I would suggest rather than using both through the devices run one as a normal volume pedal from your guitar into the Axe and then the other though the unit because I don't see how you can use one without affecting the other.
That has the exact same limitations... Both will affect the other.

That doesn't explain how to use 2 expression pedals to control the same thing...
If the operation "Src1 X Src2" (in the Edit Modifier window) is selected and one of the pedals is parked in its "max" (toe down) position it works but that does unfortunately not fulfill the OP's wish for level change regardless of the position of the other pedal.

I’m wondering if your usage concept/description is accurate.

If both pedals are outputting via the same MIDI CC — and if the volume level you seek to control is modified by that MIDI CC — then operating either pedal will cause a corresponding volume change regardless of how the other is set. Example: if P1 is moved about and then left at 75% and you then move P2, whatever you do with P2 will override whatever you left P1 at (b/c P1 isn’t outputting continuous MIDI data saying “I’m at THIS level”). Of course, if P1 is left at, say, 52% output and you then use P2 to get 100% output, when you go back to use P1 again the level is going to immediately jump to 52% the second you move it (when you “activate” P1 again) before it goes to whatever level you’re now sending it to … and vice versa. If you’re OK with this interaction then setting both pedals to the same MIDI CC may work for you. Personally, it would drive me pretty crazy, and I have NO idea how the Tuner action would play into all of this.

Also kinda possible with two controllers on one modifier with one caveat - you will get zero volume when both are positioned at the same extreme (both toe up or toe down) and full volume when they are in opposite extreme positions (one toe up and one toe down).

Just set middle to 100% and both ends to 0%, and set each vontroller to 50% with values added (Src1+Src2).

The interaction will be strange if both are somewhere in the middle, though....

Today's Stupid Question: does AFX support not updating a MIDI CC value until the controller moves “to and thru” the existing value”? Many audio consoles with automated channel fader levels can be set so that fader movement doesn’t affect the existing channel level until the fader “moves thru” the current automation value (so that seamless “pickups” can be performed).

Today's Stupid Question: does AFX support not updating a MIDI CC value until the controller moves “to and thru” the existing value”? Many audio consoles with automated channel fader levels can be set so that fader movement doesn’t affect the existing channel level until the fader “moves thru” the current automation value (so that seamless “pickups” can be performed).
Haven't seen much about the MIDI support. Haven't tried it, either. Might be an interesting thing to test if I can find some spare time this week. It's stone simple to swap in a new CC# on one of my pedals to see if it works that way....

Haven't ever seen anything indicating that...

As I stated in my previous post it is possible to use two separate Volume pedals, but the one that is not in use needs to be parked in the "toe down" position and the operation "Src1 X Src2" (in the Edit Modifier window) must be selected. I have a volume pedal connected to my RJM MM GT22 (Source "External 3" in the picture) and for testing purposes I connected another Volume pedal to Expression ("Pedal 1" in Source 2) at be back of my Axe Fx III. The "Tuner on heel down" is OK on the Source 1 "External 3" pedal. I have not checked if it is possible to get the tuner on heel down on the other (Source 2 Pedal 1).

If one of the pedals is parked somewhere between max (toe down) and min (heel down) the maximum volume available when using the other pedal is set by the parked one. This goes both ways i.e. it does not matter which pedal is parked and which one is active. This clearly indicate that the position of the parked pedal is "remembered" by the Axe Fx III and I do not know if it is possible to make the Axe Fx III "forget" the position so that the active pedal can operate without any interference of the parked one.

1647937324890.png

Back
Top Bottom