Two guitars, one Axe-Fx II users, What are the restrictions?

meulsie

Hi all!
Just a quick rundown, myself and the other guitarist in my band both currently have Axe FX Ultras but think we've done all we can to get the best out of them tone-wise so we want to upgrade to an Axe FX II, however as we don't have the money to both afford one we were thinking of getting an AxeFX II XL+ and run both guitars through it.

I know this is possible, what we're worried about is how restricted are we going to be? Am I correct in saying we won't be able to both have dual amps? And is this a big deal on the AxeFX II with latest firmware or do people tend to just run single amps due to how good the modelling is now?

If anyone has any experience with this setup I'd really appreciate your thoughts on how you found it and what issues you came across.

Thanks

You are correct, you will not be able to both run 2 amp blocks, you would be able to both run one amp block each with X/Y switching. Single amps sound great but of course that depends on what sound you are going for. Your primary limitation will be with CPU usage if you both want to have long independent effects chains.

We tested running both guitars to my AFXII todays rehearsals. Man, the uniform balance and tone between the two guitars was absolutely awesome. Best live tone in our rehearsals ever! I used the same amp sims and cabs, but the other cab had SM57/R121 mics and the other had SM57/421 mics.

The only downside is, that if i need to run multiple effects the horse power in AFXII will override.

My preset has [mixer-gate-drv-comp-AMP-CAB-delay-rev] for guitar ONE and [mixer-gate-drv-comp-AMP-CAB-rev] for guitar TWO. Cabs are running in standard quality and the reverbs are normal quality. I used scenes for the X/Y changes and fx toggle on/off, so we had good basic rhythm/clean combos to use.

very nice!

Hi all!
Just a quick rundown, myself and the other guitarist in my band both currently have Axe FX Ultras but think we've done all we can to get the best out of them tone-wise so we want to upgrade to an Axe FX II, however as we don't have the money to both afford one we were thinking of getting an AxeFX II XL+ and run both guitars through it.

I know this is possible, what we're worried about is how restricted are we going to be? Am I correct in saying we won't be able to both have dual amps? And is this a big deal on the AxeFX II with latest firmware or do people tend to just run single amps due to how good the modelling is now?

If anyone has any experience with this setup I'd really appreciate your thoughts on how you found it and what issues you came across.

Thanks
Yes no problem - we are also running one AxeFx II MKII with two guitars with one MFC.
But only Input 1 (Front panel) can use the tuner! Connect Output 2 left or right to a extra tuner, it this one is running mono.
Contact Morphosis if you need presets.

Yes no problem - we are also running one AxeFx II MKII with two guitars with one MFC.
But only Input 1 (Front panel) can use the tuner! Connect Output 2 left or right to a extra tuner, it this one is running mono.
Contact Morphosis if you need presets.

hubi, i am not sure, if i have those presets anymore, i made in the days for you ... so, if you use them and have them anymore or what i have right now still ... ... perhaps it would be kind, if you post them? I´m not sure, if i have them ... no axe-fx actually at my flat to take a look into those old .syx files ....

in principle, there are two possibilities:

Paradigm one:
GIT1: IN1 left / OUT1 left+right
GIT2: IN2 left / OUT2 left+right

advantage: stereo for both guitars, separate volume hardware knobs for the outputs for both total individual, separated guitars (analog & digital)...
disadvantage: OUT2 is not XLR & balanced ... (for stage external DIs are recommended)

the trick: Feedback return block->[signal path] -> FX LOOP block -> Feedback send block

Paradigm two:
GIT1: IN1 left / OUT1 left (or OUT1 left&right stereo)
GIT2: IN1 right (rear) / OUT1 right (or OUT2 left&right stereo)

the trick: seperate left and right input with VOL Blocks f. ex, where you can set the block Input to left and right... to separate the guitars inputs for both signal chains ...

Last edited:
Anyone else imagining a "Bart, Milhouse, and Martin buy the first issue of Radioactive Man" scenario happening here?
Nah ... if you do it right, both chains are 100% independent, you could even connect two Midi Controllers (1x MFC, 1x anything at MIDI IN) and let control Guitarrist one his blocks (instance1 for example) and guitarist 2 blocks (instance 2 for example) totally independent. With X/Y switching and CC# block bypass capabilities, two "two channel Amp" rigs with dedicated Cabs and effects (virtual effect board) can be driven parallel and independent ...

The Axe-Fx II can do it! :)

Nah ... if you do it right, both chains are 100% independent, you could even connect two Midi Controllers (1x MFC, 1x anything at MIDI IN) and let control Guitarrist one his blocks (instance1 for example) and guitarist 2 blocks (instance 2 for example) totally independent. With X/Y switching and CC# block bypass capabilities, two "two channel Amp" rigs with dedicated Cabs and effects (virtual effect board) can be driven parallel and independent ...

The Axe-Fx II can do it! :)
If i am correct, You would have to just control the blocks? Cause Scenes aren't really an option at that point? I know you can generally have two MFCS's as a mirror but I am clueless if you can get them both to address a different set of blocks at the same time.

Can i leave the input setting to stereo even when I use my AFXII normally with one guitar? It's usually set Left only. Is there any difference for recording with USB etc. if I leave it to stereo?

Yes, there IS a difference ...a drop of ... 6db, if i remember right. because in Input LEFT/ MONO setting, the left input will be copied also to right (look at the input LEDs ;) ) ...try it, you`ll hear it ... and see it ;)

That`s the next reason for the IN1/OUT1 = guit1, IN2/OUT2 = guit2 ... you can leave any settings for "normal ONE guitarrist usage" ...

Reactions: DTS
Yes, there IS a difference ...a drop of ... 6db, if i remember right. because in Input LEFT/ MONO setting, the left input will be copied also to right (look at the input LEDs ;) ) ...try it, you`ll hear it ... and see it ;)

That`s the next reason for the IN1/OUT1 = guit1, IN2/OUT2 = guit2 ... you can leave any settings for "normal ONE guitarrist usage" ...

Thanks!
I just tried this. The input 2 Left/mono seems to send signal to AFXII, cause I see the output 2 lights blinking, but the sound isn't coming trough. I have monitor cables in output 2... Is there something else I'm not taking care off?

Last edited:
... Is there something else I'm not taking care off?

post a picture of the routing (4x12 matrix)! right routing is key! normally OUT/IN2 is for FX LOOP! (first OUT, last IN!). Now, you want the opposite!!! FIRST IN, LAST OUT, right?! so....

guit2 -> LEFT IN2 (setup the I/O menu correct) ... in2 is the return, leaving the FX loop block to the right into the matrix ... but the chain starts here! so we have to send the WHOLE signal back to start with the FEEDBACK SEND block (send = 100%; (block)output level = -80 / zero, so you can set it even in the last block with auto connectio to output1, because in fact no output leaves the block, just 100% signal is send to .....)
- FEEDBACK RETURN block, which you`ll place far left as first block .... from there the guitar rig routing starts and end up again in the FX Loop which will send the signal physically out to OUT2 ...

Note: IN2 MUSST be connected with TRS ( as feedback or you produce feedback loop!!!!!!)

so it should look like this for guitar IN2/OUT2:

[FDBK RETURN; Mix=100 (onlysignal from the fdbck send!] ->

-> [([ rig signal chain ... wah, drv, amp, cab, dly, rvb,...])] ->

->[FX LOOP] - [FDBK SEND; send = 100, output = -80]

so, this is guitar2, f.ex ... on row 3 ... and f.ex row 1 = normal routing for guit1 ...

means: when bypassing the FX LOOP (so no feedback loop can happen, if guit2 is disconneted...) ... guit1 has a totally "normal" preset .... totally independend from I/O settings for in1/out1, stereo/mono selections, etc ...

And right: Individual Preset switching or scenes switching will stop the "both guitarists can switch there individual rig completeley independent with separate MIDI controllers for each". Of course ... but you don`t have to ... stay on PRESET 1, SCENE 1 ... and learn again to play a show with two amp channels, a drive, a wah, a delay, chorus and reverb ... as our fathers did it for decades ....

;)

If you both have ultras still, you can run one ultra in front for more pre effects and behind for more post effects. more confusing but could be quit a rig!!! Triple horse power!!!

Also interested in this. I have an XL+ and when my buddy comes over I want to be able to have us both go through my axe and so we can both play at same time. Up until now, we use a splitter but it really doesnt sound that great. Is this possible? Thanks

Did anyone post a preset on Axe Exchange showing dual guitar inputs? Is there a factory preset that shows how to do this?

By “select” what do you mean exactly? If you’re asking if it’s possible to use both inputs simultaneously then yes. As I mentioned above I’m using my front instrument input for my guitar, rear input 2 for my keyboard. But you have to add in an fx loop block on its own line in the effects chain. Nothing goes into it it just goes from that block straight to the output and the signal will be mixed in with input 1.

As for a second guitar, i’m not sure I haven’t used that yet but I don’t know if you could do the same thing and then after the fx loop block, then add in whatever effects you want for that input? Not sure
I see. Yes with fx loop i knew i could but i was refering without selecting that option.

Back
Top Bottom