Two FCB1010s on two Ultras doing the same job?

liksvette

Hi!
We are working on a setup where the two guitarist have one Ultra each. One FCB1010 controls both of them.
Is there sny way I can have two FCB1010 (one on each side of the stage) and have them "do the same job"? I.e. when I push one FCB it updates both Ultras AND the other FCB so that they are "mirrored".

Any way I can do that?

Thanks!

You could do that by chaining the 2 FCB's and use them as slave controllers for a LittleGiant module.
Then you would have the choice to use them together as one 20-switch 4-expression-pedal controller, or else as 2 duplicates which do exactly the same. Selecting a preset on 1 FCB would then show the same switch selected on the 2nd FCB. It's just a matter of programming your setup the way you prefer.

http://www.gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-lgm.php

However it's not the cheapest solution - it offers far more than just this scenario, so it might be overkill. (if you put the module next to an FCB, you would get Axe-FX tuner display at your feet. And the preset name display is a bit better than the 2.5 digit FCB display..)

Does the FCB not respond to MIDI commands? It does have an input. Hmmm. I have 2 FCBs and it might be interesting to try to use them in 2 different locations.

I can see a problem though with it in series, the 2nd one could never tell the first one what to do:

Code:
[ULTRA]
  ^
  |
[FCB2]
  ^
  |
[FCB1]

Unless you used the out from the Ultra to the In of FCB1. Hmmmmmm . . . Infinite loop much? Well, if you could assign an ID for the FCBs to respond to and use PC2, PC3, PC5 . . . hmmmm.

LAYGO said:
Does the FCB not respond to MIDI commands? It does have an input. Hmmm. I have 2 FCBs and it might be interesting to try to use them in 2 different locations.

I can see a problem though with it in series, the 2nd one could never tell the first one what to do:

Code:
[ULTRA]
  ^
  |
[FCB2]
  ^
  |
[FCB1]

Unless you used the out from the Ultra to the In of FCB1. Hmmmmmm . . . Infinite loop much? Well, if you could assign an ID for the FCBs to respond to and use PC2, PC3, PC5 . . . hmmmm.
The stock FCB or UnO FCB don't respond to MIDI commands. The LittleGiant module comes with a specific firmware EPROM for the FCB1010 "slave(s)". With this firmware, the FCB(s) do listen to MIDI commands, and can be assigned an ID (1, 2 or 3: up to 3 FCBs can be chained). The firmware also ensures that the MIDI loop doesn't cause any problems. Because that's indeed the way to interconnect everything : [FCB1] -> [FCB2] -> [LG-M] -> [FCB1].

ossandust said:
The LittleGiant module comes with a specific firmware EPROM for the FCB1010 "slave(s)". With this firmware, the FCB(s) do listen to MIDI commands, and can be assigned an ID (1, 2 or 3: up to 3 FCBs can be chained). The firmware also ensures that the MIDI loop doesn't cause any problems. Because that's indeed the way to interconnect everything : [FCB1] -> [FCB2] -> [LG-M] -> [FCB1].

And there is no way of getting hold of these EPROMs without buying the expensive LG-M? Will it not work without it?

liksvette said:
And there is no way of getting hold of these EPROMs without buying the expensive LG-M? Will it not work without it?
Actually all the logic is inside the LG-M, the EPROMS just turn the FCB into a "dummy slave controller" while the LG-M takes care of the processing, treating the 2 FCBs as duplicate 10-switch extensions or a single 20-switch extension, driving the correct key LEDs on the FCBs, etc...

Back
Top Bottom