Two different outputs, one with, one w/o cab

bluesdoc

Inspired
This must be covered somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. Can anyone describe how to create a chain with two different outputs (ie, 1 and 2), that differ only in having the cab block on or not. Obviously one will go to a powered regular cab and the other to an FRFR. My workaround so far is just to have different scenes with and without the cab block on, but I'd like to have a preset where both can happen at the same time. EG, I can use a real cab for my own monitoring and send a cab modeled signal to the board. Please? Or point me to the answer located elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

jon

Ah! Of course! My dilemma was that all my time based effects were after the cab, clearly complicating the chain for this purpose. Thanks, Chris!

jon

This must be covered somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. Can anyone describe how to create a chain with two different outputs (ie, 1 and 2), that differ only in having the cab block on or not. Obviously one will go to a powered regular cab and the other to an FRFR. My workaround so far is just to have different scenes with and without the cab block on, but I'd like to have a preset where both can happen at the same time. EG, I can use a real cab for my own monitoring and send a cab modeled signal to the board. Please? Or point me to the answer located elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

jon
Guys, I just want to bring something to light when using this set up. I send OUT 1 to FOH and OUT 3 to my neutral powered backline amp and cab. I was leveling presets going to my backline through OUT 3 the other day using FM9 Edit. I clicked on the OUT 3 block and used the metering there to level each of my presets to each other by using my ears AND the meters. After all my presets were leveled to the backline, I realized that presets also needed to be leveled for OUT 1 (to FOH) following this same method. If you only level either OUT 1 or OUT 3, you can run into drastic volume drops or increases in either the FOH speakers or your backline when switching presets. If there's an easier way of doing this, please let me know, but I certainly saved myself a potential issue by finding this out now, at not at a gig.

Reactions: LCW
Could you leave the OUT blocks alone and just level the preset using the amp block level only? That’s what I do, and don’t really notice a big difference in output.

Guys, I just want to bring something to light when using this set up. I send OUT 1 to FOH and OUT 3 to my neutral powered backline amp and cab. I was leveling presets going to my backline through OUT 3 the other day using FM9 Edit. I clicked on the OUT 3 block and used the metering there to level each of my presets to each other by using my ears AND the meters. After all my presets were leveled to the backline, I realized that presets also needed to be leveled for OUT 1 (to FOH) following this same method. If you only level either OUT 1 or OUT 3, you can run into drastic volume drops or increases in either the FOH speakers or your backline when switching presets. If there's an easier way of doing this, please let me know, but I certainly saved myself a potential issue by finding this out now, at not at a gig.
Perhaps having the editor check to see if there are multiple OUT blocks, and present them in the leveling tool with a checkbox option to level all at once would work?

Typically I adjust my AMP block volume when leveling though, so it would automatically propagate to all OUT blocks. My solo volume boost occurs on my OUT 1 block which would leave my other OUT blocks at unity gain for the FOH to futz with, turn down, etc.

Could you leave the OUT blocks alone and just level the preset using the amp block level only? That’s what I do, and don’t really notice a big difference in output.
For sure, if you're only using one output, whether OUT 1, 2 or 3. How I came across this was, I had my presets leveled for FOH at OUT 1, and then was listening to them at gig volume through my backline only at OUT 3. I have an AX8 and remember my presets not needing as much volume at the external amp I'm using to drive my backline cab. I checked the OUT 3 block and noticed the meters were not tickling the red. As a matter of fact most of the presets were only about half the distance to the unity gain line. When I increased the OUT 3 level control to tickle the red, of course I got a big jump in backline volume which necessitated me turning down my external amp – not coincidentally where I was used to having it with my AX8. Then I got the idea to look at my OUT 1 block. I noticed that the actual levels, in + or - DB was different than the levels for OUT 3. So this is why I'm pointing out that each output has independent send levels. So if you level all your presets that are going to OUT 1 (FOH), you may not have the same results at OUT 3 (backline). Again, this is only for the routing mentioned. FRFR Front of House + Guitar Cab Backline.

Reactions: LCW
For sure, if you're only using one output, whether OUT 1, 2 or 3. How I came across this was, I had my presets leveled for FOH at OUT 1, and then was listening to them at gig volume through my backline only at OUT 3. I have an AX8 and remember my presets not needing as much volume at the external amp I'm using to drive my backline cab. I checked the OUT 3 block and noticed the meters were not tickling the red. As a matter of fact most of the presets were only about half the distance to the unity gain line. When I increased the OUT 3 level control to tickle the red, of course I got a big jump in backline volume which necessitated me turning down my external amp – not coincidentally where I was used to having it with my AX8. Then I got the idea to look at my OUT 1 block. I noticed that the actual levels, in + or - DB was different than the levels for OUT 3. So this is why I'm pointing out that each output has independent send levels. So if you level all your presets that are going to OUT 1 (FOH), you may not have the same results at OUT 3 (backline). Again, this is only for the routing mentioned. FRFR Front of House + Guitar Cab Backline.
If you take the cab block out of Out 3’s send, that’s probably where the difference in level is coming from. Or any block not in Out 3.

Ah! Of course! My dilemma was that all my time based effects were after the cab, clearly complicating the chain for this purpose. Thanks, Chris!

jon
Does it matter if the effects after the amp are before or after the cab block? Always seemed backward anyway.

I have a similar dilemma to have one output go to power amp & cab (w/o cab block) and the other with cab block to either monitors or interface.

Does it matter if the effects after the amp are before or after the cab block? Always seemed backward anyway.

I have a similar dilemma to have one output go to power amp & cab (w/o cab block) and the other with cab block to either monitors or interface.
Easiest to place the cab block after all effects in this scenario. You shouldn’t notice much difference.

Back
Top Bottom