Two compressors?

bjjp2

Power User
I know, I know--use your ears. But what does conventional wisdom say about using a compressor at the beginning and another compressor after the amp?

Last edited:
I know, I know--use your ears. But what does conventional wisdom say about using a compressor at the beginning and another compress after the amp?
Depends on what you are after, I think.

I like having a compressor at the beginning of my chain, whether in the Axe Fx or analog realm.

Putting a second one after the amp, I would tend to put it after the cab block to get something similar to a studio recording environment.

In fact, I just did this the other night right after loading up Q7.01, and it was pretty good sounding to me. I also use a fairly modest amount of compression...

I know, I know--use your ears. But what does conventional wisdom say about using a compressor at the beginning and another compressor after the amp?
It asks "what are you trying to accomplish?" Limiting? Smoothing?

Sure, why not? :)

As far as conventional wisdom goes, I'd say compressors can pretty much go anywhere in the chain. And in your case, they'd be in different places in the chain, meaning they'd be doing different jobs.
I say go for it and see if you like it.

I've used an FMR Audio RNC before in my FOH rig on Lead Vocal. It has a "Super Nice" mode that puts three compressors in series to achieve very transparent compression.

Back
Top Bottom