Two Actions to One Foot Press?

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I am a violin player using the Axe Fx III, and I use the FC-12, after all playing a violin means no free hands. One of the things I like to do is to create ethereal/ambient type string sounds; which I loop.....and then play lead parts on top of.

PROCESS: To loop these I first use the HOLD function on my reverb, then while it's "holding" (I am not actively playing the reverb is continuously holding out the sound) I use the looper to record a few seconds and then loop it. I do this because the reverb hold function fades out over time (no big deal as long as I have a looper, which I do)

PROBLEM: So I use the hold function on the reverb, and I have this warm, lush, ambient string sound going (and I am not actively playing).....then I press the record button on the looper and record it for a few seconds, THEN - I press the PLAY/STOP (recording) button. While the recording stops, and the playback of the looper starts.......the reverb hold is still going, and thus, there is a sudden raise in volume for a moment.

H E L P???

How can I record the lush sounds coming out using the reverb hold, and hit the play/stop button for the looper, and stop the reverb hold AT THE SAME TIME? Please don't suggest hitting TWO control switches on the FC-12 at the same time because right now I have a separate FC layout for my violin preset, and for the looper.

Is there any way to make a single TAP on the FC Switch do two things at once?

Thanks,
Vmusic

ReverbHold.png

Maybe post your preset?

I'm trying to think why the volume would change unless there is an unusual routing.

Since you are using a Control Switch already, it's possible you could assign the same CS for both the Reverb Hold and the Record/Stop button. You might have to invert the modifier for one of them.

Maybe post your preset?

I'm trying to think why the volume would change unless there is an unusual routing.

Since you are using a Control Switch already, it's possible you could assign the same CS for both the Reverb Hold and the Record/Stop button. You might have to invert the modifier for one of them.

The volume changes ...... I believe......because once I hit play to playback the recorded loop, there are now TWO outputs
1) The reverb hold still continues to play or feed the output
2) The looper playback also plays or feeds the output

The volume changes ...... I believe......because once I hit play to playback the recorded loop, there are now TWO signals, so to speak, going into the output

The order of the preset is Fx-> Reverb -> Looper -> Output

There's literally only one signal chain going into the output. But as explained above, the reverb hold continues to feed that signal, and the upon playback the looper is also feeding that signal.

Any thoughts???

The volume changes ...... I believe......because once I hit play to playback the recorded loop, there are now TWO signals, so to speak, going into the output

The order of the preset is Fx-> Reverb -> Looper -> Output

There's literally only one signal chain going into the output. But as explained above, the reverb hold continues to feed that signal, and the upon playback the looper is also feeding that signal.

Any thoughts???
I use a similar routing with Looper all the time and don't experience any volume increase.

You could have the looper muted initially (add a separate dry path) and make the reverb hold CS also fade a mixer from reverb to looper when switching hold off.

Or a gate could duck the reverb by adding an inverted copy while also swelling the looper signal as playback begins, like this. You'd eventually still want to switch reverb hold off I guess.

loopergate.png

Can you try they looper in front of the reverb, and stop playing as soon as you hit play?
Experimenting with reverb hold on before, and after, you set the loop.

Can you try they looper in front of the reverb, and stop playing as soon as you hit play?
Experimenting with reverb hold on before, and after, you set the loop.

The looper has to come after the reverb, it's recording the reverb hold. I am NOT recording any "active" playing, only the sound generated by the reverb hold. (I appreciate the post read and suggestion)

You could have the looper muted initially (add a separate dry path) and make the reverb hold CS also fade a mixer from reverb to looper when switching hold off.

Or a gate could duck the reverb by adding an inverted copy while also swelling the looper signal as playback begins, like this. You'd eventually still want to switch reverb hold off I guess.

loopergate.png

I appreciate the suggestion. It looks pretty complicated and I didn't do all that well in college calculus.
The idea that I kind of "get" - is that rather than a straight path REVERB--> LOOPER --> OUTPUT; there's two paths to the OUTPUT, one from the REVERB and the other from the LOOPER, the problem - no matter what, when I click on the PLAY/STOP control switch of the LOOPER - something, in some other block has to change, and I don't think there's a way to change or control TWO of anything when clicking on the foot switch that PLAYS/STOPS the looper.

The "other thing" that changes would be the gate block. By making it open only when the looper is playing, you cancel the reverb while the looper sound fades in.

The "other thing" that changes would be the gate block. By making it open only when the looper is playing, you cancel the reverb while the looper sound fades in.

I've never used a gate block. Looking the picture below --- it does NOT seem that you can choose a "source" for the gate?

ReverbHold-02.png

"Sidechain source" parameter. You'd have to route like the example I posted and select the looper-only signal (middle row) as the sidechain.

SoooOOOooOOooo I tried - to no avail - to have TWO modifiers on the REVERB hold switch
  1. Source 1 is CS1 which on my FC is only tied and used for this, to be a source to turn on/off the REVERB hold function
  2. Source 2 is CS2 which on my FC is a foot switch tied to TWO functions
  • The first function CS2 has when with a TAP - is to Play/Stop the Looper [see the pics below]
  • The second function CS2 has when HELD down - is to act as CS2 for the REVERB hold

This attempt at using a foot switch for two purposes FAILED [insert crying emoticon here]
WHY, WHY, WHY...........is it sooOOOooo hard to get things to how you want them on this thing.
I know it's amazingly powerful, but I spend hours and hours, and hours and my results are weak at best.....

ReverbHold-03a.png

ReverbHold-03b.png

You understand that the hold & tap functions can't both fire simultaneously, correct? You can tap or hold to do one or the other, but you can't hold and then have both things somehow happen when releasing the switch. Momentary and Src1 + Src2 doesn't really make sense for this either. Latching and Src1 x Src2 would at least allow CS2 to switch hold off, but that doesn't solve the tap vs. hold thing.

Are you planning to use that blank switch #5 in this layout for anything? If you don't want to try the gate thing (which could potentially give a smoother transition) it seems like putting Play & CS1 as tap on adjacent switches would be worth trying.

You understand that the hold & tap functions can't both fire simultaneously, correct? You can tap or hold to do one or the other, but you can't hold and then have both things somehow happen when releasing the switch. Momentary and Src1 + Src2 doesn't really make sense for this either. Latching and Src1 x Src2 would at least allow CS2 to switch hold off, but that doesn't solve the tap vs. hold thing.

Are you planning to use that blank switch #5 in this layout for anything? If you don't want to try the gate thing (which could potentially give a smoother transition) it seems like putting Play & CS1 as tap on adjacent switches would be worth trying.

No.... I didn't plan on using the blank switch in this FC layout....
I suppose I can move the ERASE switch over, and have switch right next to the PLAY/STOP switch that is CS2 and "tap" both together with my foot

That would seemingly work right? ----- but I didn't REALLY want to have to tap two switches together

Back
Top Bottom