Tweeter Squeal - Potting Pickups

Fro

Experienced
Hi All,

I have a 1973 Les Paul I just pickup up with original T-Top pickups. I'm guessing that the pickups are not potted due to what I know about T-Tops, but also because I do get tweeter squeal from my CLR's when I'm at gig volume. I'm guessing that getting them potted could solve the problem? Thoughts on getting vintage pickups potted? And who is someone reputable to go to for that kind of service? I know some of the regular pickup makers also offer these services, like Fralin, etc. Any recommendations?

I should mention that the guitar itself is not 100% original. It had a headstock repair and it also had a refret. I'm not concerned about devaluing the guitar, since that has already happened. I just want to make sure I'm not drastically altering the tone, and hopefully making it more playable.

Thanks.

Hi All,

I have a 1973 Les Paul I just pickup up with original T-Top pickups. I'm guessing that the pickups are not potted due to what I know about T-Tops, but also because I do get tweeter squeal from my CLR's when I'm at gig volume. I'm guessing that getting them potted could solve the problem? Thoughts on getting vintage pickups potted? And who is someone reputable to go to for that kind of service? I know some of the regular pickup makers also offer these services, like Fralin, etc. Any recommendations?

I should mention that the guitar itself is not 100% original. It had a headstock repair and it also had a refret. I'm not concerned about devaluing the guitar, since that has already happened. I just want to make sure I'm not drastically altering the tone, and hopefully making it more playable.

Thanks.
If they are real TTops, sell em! lol
Then just get something that is already potted. You'll kill the value of those sought after pickups if you pot them.

Then just get something that is already potted. You'll kill the value of those sought after pickups if you pot them.

That is the dilemma, right? Problem is, I like how they sound. And if I try to buy an aftermarket boutique pickup that sounds like it a T-Top, it's going to cost just as much as what I could sell these for. So why not just use these? I have this same conversation with people when it comes to guitars. I can't refret a guitar because it will devalue it. But it's unplayable unless it has new frets. So what do you do? The other option is leave it as is but don't play it live. But that seems silly too.

I hear what your saying though, which is why I ask the question. But if potting it doesn't change the tone, I'm not too worried about the value. It's interesting doing research on T-Tops though. People really do either love them or hate them. Sought after by some, and others can't get rid of them fast enough.

That is the dilemma, right? Problem is, I like how they sound. And if I try to buy an aftermarket boutique pickup that sounds like it a T-Top, it's going to cost just as much as what I could sell these for. So why not just use these? I have this same conversation with people when it comes to guitars. I can't refret a guitar because it will devalue it. But it's unplayable unless it has new frets. So what do you do? The other option is leave it as is but don't play it live. But that seems silly too.

I hear what your saying though, which is why I ask the question. But if potting it doesn't change the tone, I'm not too worried about the value. It's interesting doing research on T-Tops though. People really do either love them or hate them. Sought after by some, and others can't get rid of them fast enough.
well for what it's worth, I had a very early set of original burst buckers (not the pros, the originals) and they were un potted, and I had them potted, and I couldn't hear a bit of difference in them tonally.

well for what it's worth, I had a very early set of original burst buckers (not the pros, the originals) and they were un potted, and I had them potted, and I couldn't hear a bit of difference in them tonally.

That helps. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom