Tweaking Tips for Axe FX Ultra

BillHoudini

Hello everyone, I've been an Axe Fx Ultra user since 2014, but I've never got too much into it in terms of tweeking and searching for the perfect tone, because I didn't have the time and the right monitors to hear important differences in the sound.

Now, I'm at a stage where I'd sell it in order to buy an AX8 but I figured that I should try to get the most out of it and if I'm not fully satisfied, then I should move on to the AX8.

The thing is that I don't want to tweak while I'm playing, because I can't pay that much attention to every paremeter change.

Since the Ultra can't be used for reamp like the II, should I use a Looper, record a short riff/lick and then tweak each paremeter of the chain? Is there another easier way?

Thanks in advance!

I've used a recorded clip for this in the past - the results were mixed. I could definitely hear what various changes did to the sound better this way. I didn't really like the overall results I came up with though. I think doing this was helpful in understanding the controls and their effects. Armed with that knowledge, I was much better at tweaking while playing going forward because I had a better understanding of what knob to reach for.

That's my problem too. Most of the time I don't know what knob to reach for and Ultra has a ton of knobs and parameters.

And that's I'm searching for an alternative, I need to understand by practicing what each knob does, in order to get the most out of the unit and decide whether to keep it or not.

I reamp with my Ultra almost every day?

Use a DI and record 2 or 3 tracks when tracking, 1 DI from the guitar output, the other 1 or 2 for mono/stereo Axe output.

If you need to reamp, just play the DI guitar track back into the Axe (I prefer the rear input set to rear, watch for clipping!), and re-record etc.

Last edited:
I don't think I should buy a DI just for tweaking purposes. It's not worth it in my opinion. I will probably use the Looper like 2112 does with his AX8.

Sure, not for tweaking, but definitely for recording etc.

The looper will work great for tweaking (16 seconds max).

I don't think I should buy a DI just for tweaking purposes. It's not worth it in my opinion. I will probably use the Looper like 2112 does with his AX8.

You don't need a DI dir reamping. I've done it with the spdif i/o ports. Normal outs should Work AS well. Just route the raw guitar to out 1 anderen the processed to out two dir monitoring while tracking die spdif.

Back
Top Bottom