Twangy high E string...

Replaced nut. Same problem however pinching the string while tightening does mitigate it.... then eventually returns.

Ugh...

Put gold floyd special in last night and she "lives" yay. Sometimes money solves problems in stupid ways w/e I'm happy :) Thx for trying to help all.

Here she is. E ringing like it should so happy. It plays so good now that it finally is my perfect beater guitar alternate to my Horizon FR II. :)
64XC8BT.jpg

Reactions: MSS
Good to hear it's fixed.

The Jackson style pointy string angle is always tough on the top e and b slot in locking nuts. On my old Charvel I 'reverse' wound the top e and b strings on the tuning pegs so it straightened the break angle at the back of their slots a bit and the clamp had more chance to grip without getting too grooved over time due to overtightening.

A bass player I know told me he had a 80's Charvel pointy headstock bass and when playing it one night the string angle pressure actually broke the glue and pulled the whole nut out sideways a bit in the slot.

Damn straight!!

So I learned my next issue with this build. Apparently this model originally had a Jackson "Schaller" licensed floyd style bridge and I just learned through some digging that these had their posts like 1/16" closer to the nut! I have been battling with intonation. So my saddles have to be at the extremes and then the locking screws end up hovering out over the body.

Reference:
http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
scroll down to Schaller / OFR intonation problems...

I'm 'done' trying to chase this beater guitar to be anything better than it is now... I can get the intonation about 1/2 a cent sharp and thats about the best trade off before the saddles are jammed against the back of the bridge and cant be fine tuned anymore... so I'll take it for what it is.... I basically took a $300 chipped up black guitar and tossed about $500 more in love and ignorance of some of these issues...

Live and learn she is a beautiful guitar that plays nice now. Just got done jamming a couple hours (since my old post) on Leon's George Lynch inspired patch and it just rocked.

On to the next project :) :)

Last edited:
Put gold floyd special in last night and she "lives" yay. Sometimes money solves problems in stupid ways w/e I'm happy :) Thx for trying to help all.

Here she is. E ringing like it should so happy. It plays so good now that it finally is my perfect beater guitar alternate to my Horizon FR II. :)
64XC8BT.jpg
Sounds like maybe the problem was with the bridge saddle... Much cheaper to inspect/replace a saddle than the whole bridge ;)

Back
Top Bottom