Twangy high E string...

80sMetalDude

Inspired
So I recently rebuilt a Jacskon Fusion Std 4 from early 2000s and the high E sounds like a Sitar and it's happening at the nut.

Pulling my hair out trying to get it to stop.

It has a Floyd with R3 nut.

*removed false statement.*

Looking at the way the Jackson headstock bends the string to get to the tuner it is at such an extreme angle that it wants to lift the string out of being seated properly on the back side of the nut...

Any ideas on how to fix this? The guitar plays great aside from this.

Last edited:
Shim the nut under that side, use a piece of business card to test, can get proper shims from stew mac, ebay. Backside of the nut should be ok when you lock it down. If you lock it and it still does it it's the nut height. IMHO.

... or the slope of the nut.

You can file it ad make sure there is no space between the string and the border of the nut on the fretboard side.

I assume the sound is normal when you fret it at 1? If you end up shimming. Shim the entire nut. You mentioned that it happens locked or unlocked. Does that mean you removed the screw and clamp? If not, try removing the screw and clamp and see if it goes away or not.

I assume the sound is normal when you fret it at 1? If you end up shimming. Shim the entire nut. You mentioned that it happens locked or unlocked. Does that mean you removed the screw and clamp? If not, try removing the screw and clamp and see if it goes away or not.
Yeah it doesn't happen once fretting anywhere at all it's def only open string @ nut. Yep I meant when the clamp is on or off.

Thx. Will try and get to it today.

If you pressure the string behind the nut - like push the string behind the nut in the high e direction then the low e direction and pluck it. Does it go away?

push the string (on the fretboard side) slightly left or right (you have to test which one works better) at the same moment when locking down. the string vibrates inside the nut which causes the sitar sound.

Sure it’s actually the nut and not first fret buzz? Fret a note at the fourth fret and check clearance between the string and first fret.

push the string (on the fretboard side) slightly left or right (you have to test which one works better) at the same moment when locking down. the string vibrates inside the nut which causes the sitar sound.
Thx and yep I'm hip to that trick and tried. Like I mentioned earlier on the Jackson head stock the string bend from the nut to the machine head is so severe that the string actually is pulled out of the bottom of the nut a bit when the clamp is not locked down. You know how Strats have the screws to hold the B/G strings it almost seems like that would help here. This guitar also doesn't have that bar behind the nut to place down pressure on the strings behind the nut like my ESP Horizon FR II has... going to look at it now and see if I can finally get it right.

Shimmed, Sitar
Pressed down on string hard while locking ... was better for about a minute, then ... Sitar 'boing!'

Only when open string.

Raised bridge... Sitar...

Clearance good when fretting 4th fret plenty of room between string and 1st fret wire.

I dont think it's the truss so I'm not messing with it as the rest of the guitar is awesome.

Thinking the nut needs a filing. Tried other clamps also no luck.

definately ringing inside the nut when clamped down.

I was wrong in my initial post it's ONLY when locked down. When the R3 clamp is off it doesnt do the Sitar thing.

Shimmed, Sitar
Pressed down on string hard while locking ... was better for about a minute, then ... Sitar 'boing!'

Only when open string.

Raised bridge... Sitar...

Clearance good when fretting 4th fret plenty of room between string and 1st fret wire.

I dont think it's the truss so I'm not messing with it as the rest of the guitar is awesome.

Thinking the nut needs a filing. Tried other clamps also no luck.

definately ringing inside the nut when clamped down.

I was wrong in my initial post it's ONLY when locked down. When the R3 clamp is off it doesnt do the Sitar thing.
Make sure the clamp is correctly oriented...

If you look closely, there should be a curve on 2 (parallel) sides while the 2 sides perpendicular to that are flat. You want it oriented so the curve matches the curve of the nut.

If you take the string off the nut and put the clamp on, there should be no gap when looking at it from the side of the neck.

You might have a groove on the bottom of the clamp... Or the clamp oriented wrong (see my previous post).
It's back :( ... definately like it's slipping.. makes sense.

I will take a look. I tried all the clamps however ugh.

Maybe i'll just order a new R3.

I have a Charvel Fusion. The clamps only go in one way. They will not fit in sideways and it should not matter if they are installed 180 degrees reversed. The clamp has a topside triangular pitch to it that should be pointed toward the head stock.

Check the clamp for wear or the screw. You should only have to tighten the screw snug. I think you found the problem. The screw or the clamp. If it's older it's possible the screw is not seating the clamp. Do not force it trying to tighten it. If you put pressure on the clamp fretboard side and pluck the string does it go away?

I have a Charvel Fusion. The clamps only go in one way. They will not fit in sideways and it should not matter if they are installed 180 degrees reversed. The clamp has a topside triangular pitch to it that should be pointed toward the head stock.

Check the clamp for wear or the screw. You should only have to tighten the screw snug. I think you found the problem. The screw or the clamp. If it's older it's possible the screw is not seating the clamp. Do not force it trying to tighten it. If you put pressure on the clamp fretboard side and pluck the string does it go away?
I have about 20 Ibanez guitars of the same basic model and year. The clamps are not consistent, and neither is the ridge.

They WILL go on both ways... Ask me how I know ;)

If it's not correct there will be problems.

I have about 20 Ibanez guitars of the same basic model and year. The clamps are not consistent, and neither is the ridge.

They WILL go on both ways... Ask me how I know ;)

If it's not correct there will be problems.

Agreed that would cause a problem.

Yes they are oriented correctly. Heck I even tried doing it the wrong way to see if it would help.

Yes brand new string today.

Ordered a nut.

Thx for everything guys this twangy string has been on that guitar from day one back in the day....just totally forgot about it since I gave the guitar away like 15 years ago heh...

We'll see how new nut fairs...

Back
Top Bottom