tutorial?

kurtr2

Hey everyone,
I have started using the Amps in the Axe-fx on my gigs, going through the house PA. I feel like the sound is thin compared to a normal Fender Twin, which is what I am used to. I have been trying to tweek the Double Verb preset with the Double verb mix cab and to me there is a difference in body, and overall brightness. On the Fender Twin I usuall turn the bright switch off and the treble all the way off as well. when i do this on the double verb model it is still very bright coming out of the monitors. im not sure if i am setting everything right. another thing i find is that i cant put the input gain past 1.4 without getting distortion, but the tone seems weak when the input is so low. i want a clean sound thats fat and big, more mid than bright. I think my gain staging is not right somehow. if i turn the amp up from the master or the input gain it not only goes into amp breakup but also clips the output a lot. should i just turn the output level down after the amp sim? is there somewhere a tutorial discussing these things? im sure there is. If anyone wants to help that'd be great.
thanks,
Kurt

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I have started using the Amps in the Axe-fx on my gigs, going through the house PA. I feel like the sound is thin compared to a normal Fender Twin, which is what I am used to. I have been trying to tweek the Double Verb preset with the Double verb mix cab and to me there is a difference in body, and overall brightness. On the Fender Twin I usuall turn the bright switch off and the treble all the way off as well. when i do this on the double verb model it is still very bright coming out of the monitors. im not sure if i am setting everything right. another thing i find is that i cant put the input gain past 1.4 without getting distortion, but the tone seems weak when the input is so low. i want a clean sound thats fat and big, more mid than bright. I think my gain staging is not right somehow. if i turn the amp up from the master or the input gain it not only goes into amp breakup but also clips the output a lot. should i just turn the output level down after the amp sim? is there somewhere a tutorial discussing these things? im sure there is. If anyone wants to help that'd be great.
thanks,
Kurt

Keep Master at max.
Decrease Level in the Amp block to prevent output clipping.

dont forget that u should compare the sound to your miced up amp sound...not the sound directly u are hearing from your twin speakers.
maybe u know it already, just a reminder...and u can lower the input trim for less breap up.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I have started using the Amps in the Axe-fx on my gigs, going through the house PA. I feel like the sound is thin compared to a normal Fender Twin, which is what I am used to.

before you get into master volume this, gain that, how are you listening to your axe through the PA?

you mention monitors. is your judgement on the sound from the audience position? or from the stage position only via stage monitors? are you standing with the speakers facing your head/ears, or are you standing back a bit/off-axis?

are your monitors EQ'd any particular way, like a low-cut to prioritize vocals? what about the main speakers?

are you running the mixer or is someone else, who could be adjusting things without you knowing?

Hi Kurt -

When I need to better understand the amp models, I go to Yek's (Saint Yek) wiki for both the factory documentation, which includes extra information that has been recorded in this forum re the model. E.G. for the Double Verb, go here to read about this particular Twin model:

AMP (block): list - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Here you'll read that this particular model has more breakup characteristics than you're looking for. The recommendation there is to reduce the master volume or master volume trim. I think that when I've used this model, I've brought the master to 10, and then reduced the *input* trim by half. Don't remember if I messed with master volume trim. Here's a description of input trim:

AMP (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Master volume trim deals with input into the power amp section - that might also serve you (per the amp model description).

Give serious consideration to contacting "Admin M@" via PM. He's always ready/willing/able to help out artists. I'm sure that he would set you up in a jiffy.

thanks alot guys. I am going through house PA and using two monitor wedges on the floor in front of me pointing at my face. more or less. i know the on axis/ off axis effect and im getting full on axis, this is also happens on the real amps and usually i have them behind me pointing up at me. but its not that effect that is whats making the difference. The monitors I had last night were excellent- the sound was good, dont get me wrong it was just a little thin and bright up top. i will continue tweaking...
thanks for the help please keep suggestions coming....
KR

The monitors I had last night were excellent- the sound was good, dont get me wrong it was just a little thin and bright up top.

cool, just trying to get that stuff out of the way first.

monitors can still sound "good" yet the low frequencies are cut to prevent mic feedback. this will affect the guitar tone you hear. if the speakers are able to put out the low end you want, then yes, at this point it may be just a tweak here and there in your basic EQ of the amp block to get the highs down a bit and the lows up, generally speaking.

Hi Kurt,
This might seem out of left field.. have you tried tonematching one of your own tones i.e. pick your favourite recorded tone of yourself, use the stem, and then tonematch. It might sort out the eq issues. I'm not sure how it would translate to a live tone though?

Back
Top Bottom