Tutorial Video on Cab Lab and Speaker Resonance Frequency

It was really interesting to hear what dialing in the Low Frequency Resonance on that Deluxe did to the high end. I really like the tone you ended up with.

Terry.

This is really awesome. Question, is it worth getting even for someone like me that doesn't own any 3rd party IR files or uses AE? Would I be able to somehow use the stock cabs instead or would i have to get IR's from OH for example (are the stock cabs included with the program)? Definitely considering this but i need a better understanding to what my goal is as far as tone shaping goes (if that makes any sense).

This is really awesome. Question, is it worth getting even for someone like me that doesn't own any 3rd party IR files or uses AE? Would I be able to somehow use the stock cabs instead or would i have to get IR's from OH for example (are the stock cabs included with the program)? Definitely considering this but i need a better understanding to what my goal is as far as tone shaping goes (if that makes any sense).

If you have no extra IR's from Fractal, Own Hammer, Red Wire or other, you are limited in what you can do with the capabilities of Cab Lab. My advice, IMHO, on dialing in the Low Resonance Frequency stand true with the stock IR's too.

scott, what program are you using to make your videos? maybe you could compress/limit your microphone track so your voice is louder? :)

edit - oh just saw the previous comments about it hah. you could probably easily do it in the video program, not needing to open another program etc... lemme know... i usually aim for -3db overall.

scott, what program are you using to make your videos? maybe you could compress/limit your microphone track so your voice is louder? :)

edit - oh just saw the previous comments about it hah. you could probably easily do it in the video program, not needing to open another program etc... lemme know... i usually aim for -3db overall.

I hear you... I use Camtasia Pro to do the screen capture. I didn't squish this one enough.

Logo Youtube Tutorial Video on Cab Lab and Speaker Resonance Frequency

Quick Tutorial on how I use the Fractal Audio CabLab App to mix up speaker cab IR's using Own Hammer IR's and get them into the Axe-FX II. Then I highlight part of my process to dial in the Low Frequency Resonance of the speaker in the Amp to best match it.

Feel free to comment, ask questions or observations.

Have fun!
Thanks scott , very helpful video .
keep up the good work.

Scott, Just got to install v12 and try CabLab with your suggestions! Cab mix and setting in cab block work great for me! Also the BE settings! would love to try more of your amp settings and IR mixes !!

Scott, Just got to install v12 and try CabLab with your suggestions! Cab mix and setting in cab block work great for me! Also the BE settings! would love to try more of your amp settings and IR mixes !!

Cool; thanks for the nice comments.

I'm working on a 'rig rundown' video that will highlight some of the things I do and will at that point be sharing a slew of my presets and breaking them down for people to get some ideas from. Some of the new things offered in V.12 have me rethinking some approaches; but that stuff is coming too.

There's so much to jump into and discuss; I hope it is helping people get a better handle on how to bend the power of this monster to their will and not let that same power be intimidating. The goal for me is to just show what I do in the hope that it helps other people do what they do.

I'm working on a 'rig rundown' video that will highlight some of the things I do and will at that point be sharing a slew of my presets and breaking them down for people to get some ideas from. Some of the new things offered in V.12 have me rethinking some approaches; but that stuff is coming too.

There's so much to jump into and discuss; I hope it is helping people get a better handle on how to bend the power of this monster to their will and not let that same power be intimidating. The goal for me is to just show what I do in the hope that it helps other people do what they do.

Thanks Scott! It's very much appreciated!! Looking forward to it!!

Hi Scott, is that R121:0db, SM57:-6db, & C70: -9db a formula you use on all mixes or do you switch up the mics and levels per amp?

Also if you have a minute and you dont mind can you upload a template of this demo of course without the IRs so I can try to see if I get the same results?

Always very professional with your demo work I must say!

Hi Scott, is that R121:0db, SM57:-6db, & C70: -9db a formula you use on all mixes or do you switch up the mics and levels per amp?

Also if you have a minute and you dont mind can you upload a template of this demo of course without the IRs so I can try to see if I get the same results?

Always very professional with your demo work I must say!

That's the formula. I do change it depending (it is pretty easy to demo with Cab Lab) but in most cases, that's been my golden go-to formula for IR's using the Mix collection from Own Hammer.

I am actively editing the "rig rundown" style video; once that is out I will be sharing all the presets I demo (essentially all the same except the acoustic preset) in it. I will have notes about what speaker IR I am using and how to dial it. The formula shown (and now described) is consistent across most if not all of them. It just works in recordings and live.

Thanks, Scott. You input is, as always, very much appreciated. The Axe-FX is a bit of a beast with all of the parameters that you can use to achieve your goals. Especially to those of us old school amp\cab\pedal brigade that have ventured down the FRFR route and sometimes feel that it's beyond frustrating to get what we're happy with. The Axe-FX is an incredible tool and, with the CLR, I intend to stick with it. I don't have a load of time to tinker with things and cannot wind things up at home (so I use earphones rather a lot) and having the experiences of people like yourself really does save a lot of time. I try and give what I learn to others and it's a gooooood feeling to help. Looking forward to your next video. :)

Hey Scott, great video, great tones. Sorry if I missed it, but where did you get those EV IRs for that clean tone? They sound great.

Also wanted to let you know I tried adjusting the low resonant frequency in my presets and my tones sounded and felt clearly better on my gig last night, especially my clean tone. Big help. Thank you!! :)

Back
Top Bottom