TUTORIAL: Using Scenes on the Axe-Fx II and MFC-101

It's funny to think that when I first got my first Axe FX, I was only using a basic midi controller so had 001-Clean Clean 002-Clean clean FX 003-Clean Clean FX Verb Delay 004-Clean Crunch etc etc etc hahaha

I wonder if my Rocktron Midi Raider will work with this new functionality? I just bought my Axe II and Midi Raider so I haven't had time to look into it much. Anybody know if this will work with my midi controller?

Very clear and very well done! Can a scene change trigger any outboard devices via midi program change?

Very clear and very well done! Can a scene change trigger any outboard devices via midi program change?

i'm guessing yes, if you are using the out/thru of the MFC/Axe and if it corresponds to CC#34 and the value you use to change the scene.

Great dude and thanks for the tutorial. Last week was my first live gig with the A2 rig. The gaps and latency sort of bothered me, but the scenes feature looks like it will take care of my volume transition and FX transition issues. Downloaded the updates and getting ready to go dig in.

Steve

Great video, exactly how I set mine up, it makes the most sense and doesn't interfere with how I'm set up pre 9.

Cooper,

Just curious regarding Scenes: if you have the effects loop block in the given preset that is attached to a midi switcher (GCX, Effect Gizmo, etc.) with different external effects in it, can the MFC still send not only the on/off state of the effects loop block, but which loop on the midi switcher to turn on/off? I'm guessing that would be "no" if using scenes. Correct?

Hi guys, I was wondering about the same question as "Johnnyh64". I only have an engl z-15 midicontroller an I´m relatively new to this whole midi stuff.
So do you know if it´s possible to use the scenes (and the looper) with another midi controller than the mfc ?

Cooper,

Just curious regarding Scenes: if you have the effects loop block in the given preset that is attached to a midi switcher (GCX, Effect Gizmo, etc.) with different external effects in it, can the MFC still send not only the on/off state of the effects loop block, but which loop on the midi switcher to turn on/off? I'm guessing that would be "no" if using scenes. Correct?

That's a question for someone with more knowledge than I. Sorry.

Cooper,

Scenes is just its own thing that functions on CC#34 with a particular value (or whatever CC# you choose). If your external switcher can respond to CC#34 with particular values, then yes, you can control it too.

If it functions by Program Change (PC messages), then changing a Scene using CC#34 will not affect your external switcher.

The Axe-FX effect loop status has nothing to do with controlling an external switcher.

i'm guessing yes, if you are using the out/thru of the MFC/Axe and if it corresponds to CC#34 and the value you use to change the scene.

Cooper,

:ugeek

In WIKI:

Preset scene - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I don´t have the MFC myself and haven´t used or looked into the Axe Scenes feature more than what I grasped when reading about it (I haven´t had time).
If I´m wrong please correct me. So far from what I´ve understood: Scenes doesn´t transmit and/or trigger any MIDI "by themselves". Scenes (are not something in your MFC), will be selected upon receiving correct PC and CC number + value but I don´t know if the Axe really re-transmit anything from its bi-directional communication with the MFC to the MIDI Out/Thru port? If so can someone confirm?

If trying to trigger outboard devices at scene selection, i e CC#34 + value (as quoted above). This CC would have to be converted into PC before going further to your devices, I doubt your outboard devices will do anything good on only one CC# (i e 34) + value: 0-7. If sending the same PC & CC again + another value, you´ll have to have IgnoreRedundant in your MFC set to OFF, which is not optimal regarding gapless switching (as stated in WIKI). But upon Redundant PC, the outboard devices would select the same program at every scene selection which would defy your quest. Unless, again, the conversion mentioned above. Regarding this conversion, I´ll come back to that further down...

In WIKI:

"MFC-101: new firmware for the MFC-101 will let you assign switches to specific Scene functionality. You can assign switches to specific scenes, or increment of decrement scenes."

If switches are assigned to specific Scene, are they (the same switches) able to transmit any else MIDI commands at the same time?
If answer is yes, it all depends on what the outboard devices need regarding PC/CC. Twice the programming in your MFC with these switches and you´ll have to have as many scene switches as scenes in use in that preset.
If answer is no, then Houston we do have a problem...

In WIKI:

"Alternatively send a MIDI PC followed by the MIDI CC for scene selection (default 34) with value 0-7"

The switches in your MFC are able to transmit HEX code. So both questions qouted above most probably can be solved anyway with HEX code. But the rabbit hole now goes very deep. You´ll have to send MIDI data in hexadecimal strings to activate a preset + scene in your Axe, + any specific functions in your outboard devices.
This means a lots of HEX code programming/typing in your MFC for each HEX switch... for each preset(!).
And in this case you´re sending SysEx instead of ordinary PC/CC commands, which means that you will most probably have lag/latency problems. Which may or may not be possible to somewhat workaround in regard to in which order you send that MIDI string. I e depending on if it´s possible to select PC in outboard devices and/or a loop (in the midi switcher) before activating the PC and scene selection in your Axe. Still, you can never be sure of when the PC + scene selection actually activates in your Axe upon hitting that switch. Because there are some priority issues regarding SysEx and ordinary basic MIDI commands, since everything runs thru the same "pipeline".
Hence the gapless (sound) switching that comes with the scene feature will be pretty much worthless in this case anyway. You´ll be better off in using different presets instead.

Converter:
Midi Solutions Event Processor, can probably deal with these quests. If programmed correct and/or smart, you can make some magics happen. It´ll expand the possibilities of your MFC/midi foot controller. But it do comes at a cost (besides purchase price), it´s up to you to figure out how to program the correct structure in its MIDI data conversion/routing.

:ugeek

Cory,
You're brilliant, man !
I always enjoy your videos, great teaching, and great playing.
Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom