[Tutorial] Move your presets from 15.01 to 16.01+

AlGrenadine

Legend!
Vendor
As i was discussing with @austinbuddy on an automatic way to convert 15.01 presets to 16.01 i've found a way to keep your basic amp settings untouched during the conversion, but it requires specific steps to be followed, so here is an attempt to describe the process:

• 1st step : With your AxeFx III on firmware 15.01 (this is mandatory), export your banks/presets to a file, with Fractal Bot or FracTool or AxeEdit, whichever is better for you.
  • 2nd step : Flash AxeFx III firmware to 16.00. Yes 16.00, not 16.01+ yet.
  • 3rd step : Launch FracTool latest version, with Your AxeFX III 16.00 connected. You must see The AxeFx III ungrayed in FracTool.
  • 4th step : Drop your 15.01 bank syx file on the FracTool "harddrive" icon, you'll see a new window with the bank's presets.
  • 5th step : From this window, in top-left menu, select "Save to bank", select "AxeFx III" format, save to a new name, this will be your 16.00 bank file.
  • 6th step : Send the 16.00 bank to your AxeFx III, with FractalBot.
  • 7th step : Launch FracTool again, with your AxeFx III connected and still beeing on firmware 16.00. Select FracTool's "Amp resetter" tab at the top.
  • 8th step : Select the amp parameters you'd like to be kept on values they had before 16.00. @austinbuddy will maybe chime in for the recommended ones ;)
  • 9th step : Enter the presets range which need to have their amps blocks resetter with the previous step's parameters kept, hit apply, wait for this to finish. (the preset range is border,inclusive : 1-512 will handle presets from 1 to 512 included, "4,7,10-15" will handle preset 4,7 and from 10 to 15 included...)
  • 10th step : Flash AxeFx III firmware to 16.01+, restart AxeFx III etc... Then your AxeFx will probably fix the EQ range change introduced in 16.01 upon preset load and your parameters should have the same values they add in 15.01 (only the ones you selected at step 8).

It may or may not sound good, but it will sound just like if you had resetted your amp blocks manually and re-entered every parameter selected at step 8 manually.

Last edited:
I understand you are freezing the amp settings in step 8 as though no update has occurred. So while something that was “5.25” remains as it was, has there been underlying architecture changes which would result in a different tone even though visually the settings have not changed?
Yes
Hence my last comment in the op

Last edited:
I believe most users would like the ability to update but be able to maintain their tones unless they choose to reset their amps. Similar to how on the II there was a period where you could maintain the tones of firmwares 7-9 to your liking, while running a higher firmware for the other features.

That's not possible, I think. Under-the-hood engine changes affect everything, regardless of the exposed parameter values.

And IIRC, the option on the II was limited, it applied to power amp modeling only and did not preserve the entire amp tone.

The gyrations I see around preserving existing tones while reaping the benefits of the new processing make me happy I'm not running this new beta, as wonderful as I'm sure it is. I'll wait til the smoke clears.

What say thee, @austinbuddy? I’d like to try 16.00 but I loathe to trample over your hard work (and the great sounds) of “1,400 Naked Amps” running under 15.01…

What say thee, @austinbuddy? I’d like to try 16.00 but I loathe to trample over your hard work (and the great sounds) of “1,400 Naked Amps” running under 15.01…
If it were me, I’d wait until I can release a Cygnus update for Naked Amps which can’t and won’t happen until late summer... Firmware 15 still sounds great.

Any news about Cygnus update for Naked Amps?
Hi @popmusiker:

Well Cygnus updating has kept me stupid busy! I successfully got LiveGold updated for both the III and FM3, then 200+ Bass TonePack, and now I'm getting Brit Rock Royalty #1 done (which is the last TonePack to do before getting to Naked Amps, which were updated to fw15 in January this year). I think I laid all that it in the thread above somewhere re: timing. Naked Amps was always "in the Fall" if memory serves.

Rather than my old Atomic CLRs, I'm now dialing in Brit Rock and soon the Naked Amps on some new incredible studio pro mixing monitors - ATC 25s -- and in doing that, found had to re- overhaul Brit Rock Royalty #1 a good bit (hearing new sounds/scenes! sneaky, that guitar player!)

So Brit Rock #1 has taken a lot more work and time than I had originally expected, but the results sound magnificent.

All those Brit Rock Royalty #1 presets for every guitar sound on LZ albums I and II are completely done, and I released this weekend as a "partial update" in customer accounts.

So work-wise, I am in the middle of updating III, with IV left to do, may take me next 2-3 weeks. After that's done, I move to update Naked Amps for Cygnus. Naked Amps updates will go faster than Brit Rock, but I can't say exactly when it will be ready yet until I get a bank done (and I'll release Bank 1 as partial update when ready too, so ya'll don't have to wait until both banks are done).

Plus I'm out for middle of October on a loooong-overdue vacation and to celebrate my birthday.

Also, so ya'll know, there will NOT be a Naked Amps for the new FM9 anytime soon, if at all. Why? Because while that unit (unlike the FM3) as two amps and two cabs, the FM9 cab blocks only can hold two IRs at a time per cab channel, while the III has four Cab IRs per channel. As many of you know I made real good use of all four of those cab IR slots in auditioning and selecting cabs for Naked Amps. So if you or I try to port it over to FM9, it would chop off the last two cab slots. Sorry!

When I do finish Naked Amps later this fall, I will have updated over 2,600 presets -- listening to each one of them, playing them all. That attention to detail takes a whole lot of time, no way around it - but I want to keep the quality high. And, I've never charged for a firmware update so far.

Appreciate ya'lls patience. Naked Amps Cygnus update WILL get done sometime this fall, promise!

Glad to hear you're on the ATC's and that they're working for you. So when's your BD and where are you going to celebrate? Mine is 10/31 and we're headed to Maui for 10 days... :)

Back
Top Bottom