TUTORIAL: In depth MFC-101 programming guide for the Axe-Fx III

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
Don`t forget to turn the english subtitles on in the youtube video :)

In this tutorial you will find step-by-step instructions in 5 steps on how to configure the MFC-101 so that you can control the following functions of the Axe-Fx III and always keep track of current switching states.

You`ll find the 12 sites in depth TUTORIAL PDF file in a english (thanks to DeepL translator) and german versions here:
https://www.cabir.eu/content/13-mfc101-for-axefx3

This was lot`s of work, but i hope it will help some guys to learn their MFC-101 better. Also i referenced all the settings to the actual MFC-101 Manual. Furthermore, you`ll find a complete default CC# nomenclatura with maximal 127 CC# entries for the MIDI/Remote Menu!

Last edited:
Nice, Markus.
That’s the way to do it.
You won’t get a MFC to display the tuner and tempo of a III, but this is the next best thing.

TUTORIAL UPDATE:
https://www.cabir.eu/de/content/13-mfc101-for-axefx3

On the last page you will find for download:

MFC-101 Original/MKII default configuration.syx and matching Axe-Fx III Systemdata.syx in a ZIP file. You can install both on your devices with Axe-fx Fractal-Bot and you are ready to go.

Default settings MFC101MKI_ORIGINAL_MKII_default_Axe-Fx3.syx:
config_MFC_for_AXE3.png
Axe-Fx III System settings: AXEIII_MIDIRemote_defaults.syx : Contains all MIDI/Remote CC# presets listed in the tutorial above and corresponds to the MFC101MKI_ORIGINAL_MKII_default_Axe-Fx3.syx configuration file. (Tested with Axe-Fx III and FW 1.10)

Notes:

· CC# OFF 000 and ON 125? Yes, because these values work equally for FX BYPASS switches (000 = bypass; 125 = engaged) and FX CHANNEL switches (000 = Ch. A; 125 = Ch. B)! So you don't have to change CC# on/off values, but only select the c1 CC# from the Axe-Fx III MIDI/Remote table whose function you want to switch. No matter if it should be a FX BYPASS or FX CHANNEL or FX TUNER switch. Easy!

· You don't need preset (PC#) 2 on MFC-101 Bank 2, but another one? Use BANK UP/DOWN to select Preset 2 (= MFC-101 Bank 2, FIRST Preset). Click EDIT. Click PRESET. Click 2x page right. Change the preset number (PC# Ch01). Done. Easy!

You want less scene switches? Maybe only 5 instead of the programmed 8? Select Bank1, Preset 1. click EDIT. click SETUP. Right click page to BankSize. Set five. Then copy (EDIT->COPY->Copy Bank) the new Bank 1 (5 Presets or "Scenen") to all available banks of the MFC-101 and configure the preset numbers of the Axe-Fx III, which are to be controlled per bank, as described above. All you have to do is configure the first preset per MFC-101 Bank! Easy!

Last edited:
TUTORIAL UPDATE:
https://www.cabir.eu/de/content/13-mfc101-for-axefx3

On the last page you will find for download:

MFC-101 Original/MKII default configuration.syx and matching Axe-Fx III Systemdata.syx in a ZIP file. You can install both on your devices with Axe-fx Fractal-Bot and you are ready to go.

Default settings MFC101MKI_ORIGINAL_MKII_default_Axe-Fx3.syx:
View attachment 47862
Axe-Fx III System settings: AXEIII_MIDIRemote_defaults.syx : Contains all MIDI/Remote CC# presets listed in the tutorial above and corresponds to the MFC101MKI_ORIGINAL_MKII_default_Axe-Fx3.syx configuration file. (Tested with Axe-Fx III and FW 1.10)

Notes:

· CC# OFF 000 and ON 125? Yes, because these values work equally for FX BYPASS switches (000 = bypass; 125 = engaged) and FX CHANNEL switches (000 = Ch. A; 125 = Ch. B)! So you don't have to change CC# on/off values, but only select the c1 CC# from the Axe-Fx III MIDI/Remote table whose function you want to switch. No matter if it should be a FX BYPASS or FX CHANNEL or FX TUNER switch. Easy!

· You don't need preset (PC#) 2 on MFC-101 Bank 2, but another one? Use BANK UP/DOWN to select Preset 2 (= MFC-101 Bank 2, FIRST Preset). Click EDIT. Click PRESET. Click 2x page right. Change the preset number (PC# Ch01). Done. Easy!

You want less scene switches? Maybe only 5 instead of the programmed 8? Select Bank1, Preset 1. click EDIT. click SETUP. Right click page to BankSize. Set five. Then copy (EDIT->COPY->Copy Bank) the new Bank 1 (5 Presets or "Scenen") to all available banks of the MFC-101 and configure the preset numbers of the Axe-Fx III, which are to be controlled per bank, as described above. All you have to do is configure the first preset per MFC-101 Bank! Easy!
Just curious why you chose 125 for the ON value rather than the typical value of 127? Nothing wrong with it, just seems a little unusual ;)

Just curious why you chose 125 for the ON value rather than the typical value of 127? Nothing wrong with it, just seems a little unusual ;)
No reconfiguration of the values needed, when changing an IA Switch from a BYPASS SWITCH to an CHANNEL A/B SWITCH, as i wrote... (127 would adress Channel D, but i believe mostly you will use intuitive A and B ...)

Notes:

Does expression pedal connected to the MFC work to control the AxIII?
MFC-101 XP1-4 (Expression Pedal) connections & configurations are the same like the Axe II. Also the XS1-4 external switches. So: YES, of course...

No reconfiguration of the values needed, when changing an IA Switch from a BYPASS SWITCH to an CHANNEL A/B SWITCH, as i wrote... (127 would adress Channel D, but i believe mostly you will use intuitive A and B ...)

I guess I should have paid closer attention to what you wrote :)

Clever!

I can't get my MFC 101 to receive files from Frac Bot, i've never needed to before, i have the midi plugged into the axe 3. Any tips??
It doesn't work that way...

You need to send midi from your computer to the MFC directly. Unlike the Axe Fx II, the Axe Fx III can NOT act as a midi interface for the MFC.

Get a USB to midi adapter - I've had good luck with the MidiSport UNO.

Optionally, if you have a recording interface for your computer that supports midi, you can probably use that.

Any reason that the files you generated wouldn't work with an MFC-101 MK3? Thanks!
Can`t verify, have an MKI. The Firmwares got their own files for MKI/II and MKIII. If the data will be identical adressed i can`t say... try it and let us know :)

I will certainly do that...once I get my III...hopefully sometime in July! In the meantime, many thanks for your hard work! I also will message you soon, as a former Darmstaedter.

Has anyone been able to get the MFC to reflect preset and scene names (by running MIDI out from the AXE III back into the MFC)? I have basic functionality of preset and scene changes, and tuner on/off. It would be nice to be able to see the preset/scene names on the MFC without having to turn around and look at the AXE III display.

Has anyone been able to get the MFC to reflect preset and scene names (by running MIDI out from the AXE III back into the MFC)? I have basic functionality of preset and scene changes, and tuner on/off.

Not possible due to MFC Firmware limitations.

Not running Out of AXE III, but on my MFC I have saved the Preset names, so when I choose a preset the correct name shows on MFC and on FX III.

Thanks for all your hard work, Morphosis. This helped me to get the MFC functional including my expression pedals. It had been gathering dust since I got the III. Enjoy your pizza!

Back
Top Bottom