Tutorial: How to Reamp 2 tracks at once while listening the Main Mix

SynFactory

Inspired
I’ve always found that in mixes what sounds good on its own, doesn’t always translate very well in the biggest picture.
This is especially true related to layering guitar tracks.
Too much gain, too less, too much bass, you name it…

So why don’t reamp and edit two tracks at once while listening to the main mix?
Well, thanks to the Axe Fx we can do this, but unfortunately at the moment it is only possible with the “Analog Connections” route.

First of all let me write what is needed:

1. A sound card that have at least two inputs and four outputs (better if the outs are balanced). I use an M-Audio Firewire 410, that is relatively cheap, I found it used at 80 Euro, and offers a lot of connections.

2. A software to record. You can use whatever OS or DAW, it doesn’t matter, as long as you are able to do basic routings. I use for this example Logic Pro 9 on Mac.

3. Two ¼” Balanced Cables, two XLR Cables

Part 1: Recording a Processed and an Unprocessed Guitar track

Connections needed

Axe FX Balanced Out L ----- Soundcard In 1
Axe FX Balanced Out R ----- Soundcard In 2
Then the patch in the Axe Fx needs to be like this:

As you can see on the 2nd row I have a basic Amp + Cab
On the 3rd Row there is a shunt that connects directly the input to the Output.

Then you have to set the output like that:

Balance 2 -100 (this will be your processed sound)
Balance 3 100 (your unprocessed guitar)

So when you will record you will have a “Processed” track and an “Unprocessed” track to use later on.

At this point open your Daw and create two audio tracks.
The first one will be set to receive audio from Input 1 (Processed from Row 2 in the Axe Fx)
The second one will be set to receive audio from Input 2 (Unprocessed from Row 3 in the Axe Fx)

Set the levels on your axe fx and on your sound card, record and repeat the process to double track.

Now you will have 2 processed tracks and 2 unprocessed.
Mute the first ones in your Daw.

Part 2: Reamping the 2 Guitars at once

For the next step the first thing you need to do is to set the input of the Axe Fx to be the rear one. You can do this by clicking the I/O button, go to the Audio Page, and from there set the “Input 1 Left Select” to “Rear”.

That’s because you have to route 2 line level signals (the Unprocessed tracks) from you sound card to the Axe FX.

Connections Needed

Axe FX Balanced Out L ----- Soundcard In 1 (identical to the first part)
Axe FX Balanced Out R ----- Soundcard In 2 (identical to the first part)
Soundcard Output 3 ------ Axe Fx Input 1 L (the one on the back)
Soundcard Output 4 ------ Axe Fx Input 1 R

I wrote output 3 and 4 but you can use whatever output you want as long at it’s not output 1-2 (that is usually your “Main” or “Master” output)
The patch on the Axe Fx will be similar to the first one, but with another amp+cab instead of your “dry” track:

Now in your Daw you need to:

Route the signal from your previously recorded “Unprocessed Guitar 1” to Mono Output 3
Route the signal from your previously recorded “Unprocessed Guitar 2” to Mono Output 4

Then create another 2 audio tracks, that receives audio from Input 1 and 2
Pan these two extreme left and extreme right.

On Input 1 you will receive the processed sound from “ROW 2” on the Axe Fx
On Input 2 you will receive the processed sound from “ROW 3” on the Axe Fx
You will at this point be able to listen to your reamped tracks, and your main mix.
If you notice some delay, move behind in the timeline your “dry tracks”.

I’have also included a patch to calculate the exact delay in your system, following the same steps as part 2.
The patch is this:

The last thing I want to say is that if you can use your Axe FX 2 as sound card, skip as many AD/DA conversions as possible, just to be sure to not degradate your files too much.

It can be a little hard in the beginning to understand and do the right connections, but I assure you that once you set up everything (you don’t have to swap cables) it will takes everytime 5 seconds to set up everything.

Let me say that the merit for all this goes to various forum guys and some wiki authors, I’ve only expanded the concept a little.
And please, if you can improve this tutorial, or something is not clear, let me know and I will try to help you figure it out.
See ya!

P.s. You can download all the patches, files and a PDF version of this from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31839877/Axe FX II Reamp.zip

I had a problem with the file. can you send it to me? the .zip couldn´t be opened.
thanks!! :encouragement:

Great post, I really want to give this a try, but all your images/links aren't working bud. Any chance you could send it through or get the links working? cheers

Error (404)
We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

Back
Top Bottom