Tutorial: Dialing Up My Reverb with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Nothing but the best from Scott as usual. I would love to see some patches for a "Live" clean, crunch, gritty, and heavy patch someday from him with his "go to" template. I love using his presets for starting points in my real live patches since he has mastered this especially for using live with frfr stuff. Even though OH stuff is needed I think other users that have not purchased this can get the jist of them using stock IRs. Scott, your a great mentor for everyone here!

Great video Scott! Totally enjoyed it! Only suggestion would be to throw some compression on your voice over to even out the levels. You disappeared on me a few times :)

I will. I'm a neophyte video editor for the most part and they will improve production wise as I go.

Two things:
1. (nothing to do with reverb) but you note that you set the proximity frequency to a certain setting however in the preset shown, Mic=None so the proximity has no effect.
2. Just a note about mono vs. stereo: The youtube video sounds like mono but the preset is actually in stereo so you might want to talk a bit about your approach to mono/stereo effects when preparing presets for live use - and maybe your output strategy to a single monitor vs. PA which may be in stereo. Newbie's tend to get screwed up with the stereo effects since it's not obvious from the editor what's going on.

Anyway, this was a nice basic intro to reverb. Lots of users need this type of info. It would be nice to see Fractal organize a page on their site for tutorials such as these.

True on the first point; I was going to get into that but censored myself on the fly (I did the whole thing in one take). I just like to leave it at 5.00 so when I do use/want to try mic modeling, then I start from where I like to be. I'm a *little* OCD about stuff like that. lol. I do plan a video on mono/stereo. Note that the guitar is actually recorded in stereo; but if you look at my routing, it is essentially everything mono because of the cab block and nothing but the reverb on to utilize the stereo field and the reverb in the Fractal isn't a true stereo reverb.

Nice vid, thx for sharing!
Constructive feedback: could you balance the volume between the guitar and your voice?

I promise to get that better moving forward. ;)

Nothing but the best from Scott as usual. I would love to see some patches for a "Live" clean, crunch, gritty, and heavy patch someday from him with his "go to" template. I love using his presets for starting points in my real live patches since he has mastered this especially for using live with frfr stuff. Even though OH stuff is needed I think other users that have not purchased this can get the jist of them using stock IRs. Scott, your a great mentor for everyone here!

Thanks for the nice comments. When I get to the cab block, I'll use both factory cabs so everyone can try some of my methods out and third party stuff like the Own Hammer IR's.

I didn't think the max verb was that much. And I couldn't hear any when you turned it to one quarter. Probably a lot more apparent live at volume.

That's exactly it. When I record, I use a lot more than when I perform. And in 'real life' at volume, it is 'just right' at the 1/4 setting *IMHO* here... but cranked up it's overbearing and too much.

Just personal taste though - some like more, some like less. The mix isn't anything but a subjective thing anyway.

Really like the way the reverb feels with those settings. Thanks for a revealing video! Keep'em coming! Maybe something with the parallel fx, I use them the same way. But still havent got the chance to get the real flavours out of them (getting classic flangers, phasers and choruses).

Really like the way the reverb feels with those settings. Thanks for a revealing video! Keep'em coming! Maybe something with the parallel fx, I use them the same way. But still havent got the chance to get the real flavours out of them (getting classic flangers, phasers and choruses).

Cool. More coming - planning at least one a week for the foreseeable future. (Assuming I am able to do them time wise!).

Watched a second time- learning a lot! I need to do some reading up on parallel vs. serial effects routing with the axe. Still don't quite understand it! What's next on the video front?

Ben

Dunno. Delay or Wah? What would you prefer?

I'll get into a video just on parallel vs. serial, but after there are enough of these for it to make some sense.

That's exactly it. When I record, I use a lot more than when I perform. And in 'real life' at volume, it is 'just right' at the 1/4 setting *IMHO* here... but cranked up it's overbearing and too much.

Just personal taste though - some like more, some like less. The mix isn't anything but a subjective thing anyway.

Okay, I wanted to be sure of what I was hearing and thinking.

It's obviously not subjective, given your circumstances.

Good job Scott and thanks for taking the time to put this together. I tend to run either really dry (no reverb) or with it a little too heavy.. this gives me a good place to start with dialing in something more subtle. My experience with reverb has always been fairly limited to vintage Fender amps- I never used rack gear before the Axe FX.. lots to learn.

Wow, thanks a lot Scott! I must've read through all of your guides dozens of times and really having a blast with them, although being a complete lurker here on forums but I do lurk A LOT these days.

I wouldn't mind if you'd do a little introduction in your videos on different effects, variations and how people tend to use them. This is mostly because I've recently stumbled upon a lovely custom pedalboard building blog where they break down every little detail about the pedal and talk a lot stuff around them. Too bad those guys are really deep into analog gear and I think they wouldn't poke Axe FX with a stick. The best part of it is that you can convert the information for Axe FX use. I know javajunkie already does his effect cloning blog, but I'd really like to hear different approaches that you've come up with different people when building their rig with Axe FX. Please Scott, if you just have time, of course! I know it's a lot of work :p

Looking forward for more videos. Great stuff as always!

Dunno. Delay or Wah? What would you prefer?

I'll get into a video just on parallel vs. serial, but after there are enough of these for it to make some sense.
Delay, please, but Wah would also be awesome!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom