Turning the axe fx II on and off in a live situation

Blor007

Inspired
Hi,

I have never had the axe fx II fail on me in a live situation. Nevertheless I would like to know what the impact is on a PA system when turning the axe fx II on and off when the XLR's are fully amplified in the FOH.

Thank you for your answer!

Hi,

I have never had the axe fx II fail on me in a live situation. Nevertheless I would like to know what the impact is on a PA system when turning the axe fx II on and off when the XLR's are fully amplified in the FOH.

Thank you for your answer!

Mute your channel on the mixer and if using an amp onstage turn it down or off.

Turning it on is basically inaudible.

Turning it off will produce a pop but it's a midrangey pop that's not very loud relative to normal output volume. It doesn't sound like it hits the speakers very hard at all. Still, the best practice is to minimize the volume that hits the speakers before your power down.

Turning it on is basically inaudible.

Turning it off will produce a pop but it's a midrangey pop that's not very loud relative to normal output volume. It doesn't sound like it hits the speakers very hard at all. Still, the best practice is to minimize the volume that hits the speakers before your power down.

I don't think the 'pop' volume is consistent and can always be predicted to be 'not very loud'.

I've made the mistake of shutting my Axe off before my powered wedge a few times.
Sometimes it's not a loud pop.....and sometimes it made me jump because it was so loud. (and then I curse myself out for forgetting)

If you're going to FOH into the board I would have them mute your channel if you want to power down.

I don't think the 'pop' volume is consistent and can always be predicted to be 'not very loud'.

I've made the mistake of shutting my Axe off before my powered wedge a few times.
Sometimes it's not a loud pop.....and sometimes it made me jump because it was so loud. (and then I curse myself out for forgetting)

+1 this. Its not heart stopping but its definitely a substantial and abrupt pop with my rig.

Sadly, I actually had an audio drop on mine and had to restart it mid song. I decided the pop shouldn't be that bad enough and went for it. Split second thought but it worked and I never heard anything from the sound guy. My next thought would be to at least unplug the XLR from the back first...that should be a much smaller pop...

If people are worried about this they should be running a DI between the Axefx and the PA. That way you can switch on the pad temporarily, power cycle the Axefx and then un-pad.

I teach the acoustic players I work with to do that with their DI's. Saves the sound guy having to be on the ball. Often they are busy with something else and it's hard to get their attention quickly.

+1 on removing the xlr... I wish there was something I could plug it into so it doesn't do this... I hate having to unplug the xlr everytime I power down. might make a footswitch or something...

I don't understand why it does this on the 2nd gen Axe, never did it on the Standard or Ultra.
The Standard and Ultra did it too, just not as loud. I think it may have something to do with the digital "pot" on the Axe II's output.

Back
Top Bottom