Turning on your powered FRFR speakers

claxor

Power User
Just wondering what you guys do for turning on you powered FRFR speakers.

Reaching behind the speaker to turn it on is a hassle (especially with 2 speakers), and my understanding is you want to turn on the powered speaker/power amp last in order to avoid the loud "pop" sound.

Was thinking of just using a surge protector with an on/off switch. So, turn on the rack first, then the Axefx, and then switch on the powered cabs with one switch on the surge protector.

Is there a better/simpler way to avoid the "pop" sound?

As you said, amps (including the amps in powered speakers) should be turned on last, as a lot of gear has a “pop” sound when turned on.

Most do use the method you’ve described. The physical switches of the speakers stay set to “on” and a power strip or similar is switched on to turn them all on at the same time.

That’s why there are staged/sequenced power conditioners where it turns things on and off in groups - just plug into the appropriate numbered plugs.

My Axe III has a "soft" power up, so I just keep my monitors and/or CLR powered on most of the time, turning on the Axe when I'm playing, no pops or other issues. If I'm not going to be using something for a period of time, I physically turn them off though. Takes but 10 seconds to reach behind my desktop monitors and flip a switch.

My Axe III has a "soft" power up, so I just keep my monitors and/or CLR powered on most of the time, turning on the Axe when I'm playing, no pops or other issues. If I'm not going to be using something for a period of time, I physically turn them off though. Takes but 10 seconds to reach behind my desktop monitors and flip a switch.
How do you get this "soft" power up thing to work with the Axe-Fx III?
When I turn on or off my Axe-Fx III with speakers & headphone plugged in, everything pops quite loudly.

How do you get this "soft" power up thing to work with the Axe-Fx III?
When I turn on or off my Axe-Fx III with speakers & headphone plugged in, everything pops quite loudly.
Supposed to be built-in... I remember Cliff posting about it before.

I never tested it, or habits...

Plug your speakers into a mixer,, and everything goes thru the mixer. I power up my speakers with the mixer volume down, and the pop is barely audible.

I use a surge protector with a master switch, so the speaker turns on automatically when I power up my AX8. I don't get any pop...

I use a surge protector with a master switch, so the speaker turns on automatically when I power up my AX8. I don't get any pop...

Many units have a programmed sequence the different outlets power up in. If it’s just a simple power switch your speakers themselves might have a soft power up.

If I had my CLRs powered up and turned the Ax8 on I’d usually get a bit of a “pop” at power up or down. I always turned the Ax8 on, then the speakers and vice versa.

None of this will per say damage anything, but isn’t good for it either, just like plugging into the input with everything turned up load. That big transient you get doesn’t make speakers too happy. “Better” to turn down the output before plugging and unplugging, but people do it the other way and it still works.

Supposed to be built-in... I remember Cliff posting about it before.

I never tested it, or habits...
Eh? Do I have a defective unit or something? Could you maybe help confirm if your Output1 and headphone pops when you power your Axe-Fx III on? Mine does quite loudly.

@lqdsnddist Could you help confirm? Is it something you're doing to soft power on (some menu option or something?), or is it auto soft power on for yours?

EDIT: Looked at the manual, it's supposed to feature "pop suppression on startup." I guess that means a trip to the support line for me...

Last edited:
@yeky83 mine does not pop you may want to look into that.

@claxor, nice timing. I just addressed this same thing and finally did all my cable management properly over this past weekend.

Got (2) 15' power cords from Amazon
(2) $50 furman power conditioners

One Furman powers both ASM 12

Second one powers up 2 HS8 Monitors and Focusrite 6i6.

I keep the AXE3 separate, turn that on, then either Furman (or both) depending on what I'm doing.

Unit I bought:
Furman M-8X2 Merit Series 8 Outlet Power Conditioner and Surge Protector ($50ish Amazon)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom