Turning off power amp modeling

Hey folks,

Here's what I'd like to achieve:

- Play with a real cab as a monitor during practice and live (turn off cab simulation and power amp modeling)
- Send direct signal to FOH (include cab and power amp modeling)
- Avoid replicating my signal chain - Amp, time based effects just for the sole purpose of turning off power amp modeling

For the cab: I can place the cab at the end of the signal chain and tap an output right before it.

However, for the power amp modeling, I haven't found any way to bypass it without actually copying over a big chunk of my signal chain.

Is this doable? Anyone found a way?

Thanks in advance!

You could try using a second amp block set clean to function as the power amp sim. Your chain would be:

Pre Effects > Amp 1 (w/ power amp sim disabled) > Post Effects (split to real amp and cab output) > Amp 2 > Cab > FOH output.

For the amp and cab output, you'd tap the output of the last post effect block and connect it to another row. For the second amp block, you could use the Tube Pre model, which is flat and clean but still has a power amp sim.

Interesting! Will the Amp1 (no power amp) + Amp 2 (flat, just for the power amp sim) == Amp1 with power amp?

In other words, do all Amps have essentially the same power amp modeling? I will have to try this regardless, perhaps the tonal difference between the two may not be significant.

No it won't be exactly the same, but it's worth a shot. Non-master volume type amps are more reliant on their power section to shape their sound. Modern high gain master volume amps tend to run the power section quite clean, so those will translate better with this method.

You say you want to play through a real cab, but why would you turn off power amp modeling for that?

If you mean playing into a guitar amp, then yes... But otherwise, you would not actually turn anything off.

Put your cab block at the end of your chain, and stick an effects loop send block on parallel row right before the cab.

This will send your "full" signal to Output 1 for FOH and your cab-less signal to Output 2 to run your cab. This assumes your power amp is fairly flat.

You say you want to play through a real cab, but why would you turn off power amp modeling for that?

For now I'm using a power amp from a head (effects return) to drive the cab. Eventually I might buy a solid state power amp like the Matrix. At least for the guitar head, the power amp modeling definitely has to be turned off - sounds like crap otherwise.

I'm not sure about the Matrix though - are you saying that I'll probably need to keep power modeling ON for the Matrix (since it's a flat amp)?

For now I'm using a power amp from a head (effects return) to drive the cab. Eventually I might buy a solid state power amp like the Matrix. At least for the guitar head, the power amp modeling definitely has to be turned off - sounds like crap otherwise.

I'm not sure about the Matrix though - are you saying that I'll probably need to keep power modeling ON for the Matrix (since it's a flat amp)?
Ok, yeah, that clarifies things.

Yes, the idea is that with solid state "fiat" power amps you leave power amp modeling on...

Back
Top Bottom