Turning off Axe III kills all sound from Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

LegGodt

So I have this odd issue I that can't figure out.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface. It works fine by itself and with my Axe III on, but the second I turn off my Axe III the 6i6 stops working. At that point I either need to reboot my PC or worse - uninstall and reinstall the Focusrite Control Panel and USB drivers.

My Axe III is always connected via USB to the PC for Axe Edit and updates.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

Tried restarting Windows Audio service and that does not solve the problem. After a reboot the Scarlett 6i6 works fine.

I want to say i've had similar disconnect issues with my 2i2 when I used to use that, and simply unplugging the USB from the back of the interface and plugging it back in would re-establish the connection.

I have same setup. I'm running Axe III Out1 L/R into 6i6 in L/R. If I boot PC with
only 6i6 started, that's the recognized audio interface and all is well.

If I start the Axe III while 6i6 is running, PC swaps over the the Axe III as the audio device.
I'm also connected direct to PC from Axe III via USB for Axe Edit. If I switch off the III,
6i6 again becomes the Audio device. Same thing if I'm in a DAW. If I turn on Axe III,
DAW switches over to that as default Audio device, even if DAW is set to use the 6i6.

Just a Win10 thing I suppose. I know there's better ways to hook things up. Not critical
for me since I'm mostly using III for practice through desktop monitors and not recording
much right now.

Sometimes I have to restart the 6i6 to restore the regular audio config after the III is shut off.

Hooking up any outside gear to Windows introduces a bunch of potential issues depending
on the Computer, config, interface, DAW, drivers, etc.

Try this. When both units are on and the Axe-Fx III is the default device, before turning the Axe-Fx III off, designate the 6i6 as the default device. Then turn the III off.

Try this. When both units are on and the Axe-Fx III is the default device, before turning the Axe-Fx III off, designate the 6i6 as the default device. Then turn the III off.

This. I use the same setup exactly, and messed endlessly to try to avoid switching between the two as input devices. Now have 6i6 as default input and output device and route the Axe III either through Input 1 & 2 or SPDIF on the Scarlett. I feel like I messed around for weeks, and it is now totally stable in not losing audio unexpectedly whatever order I turn things on and off. SPDIF can be awkward because it seems to work best when using the Axe for the clock, but of course if you turn the Axe off you lose sync on the Scarlett and my one tends to put itself back to 44.1 kHz instead of 48 kHz and will no longer talk to my current DAW project, which has often been recorded at 48 kHz.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom