Tuning; tune to attack or sustain/decay?

I tune by picking fairly lightly, and tune to the decay. Like @Rex said, it's a lot less noticeable if the attack is a bit sharp than if the held chords are flat, which really doesn't sound very good.

attack only lasts a fraction of a second, the decay is almost always longer - I tune after the pick attack but before the decay is too long :confused:

I leave my low E string very slightly flat on the strobe tuner. Riffs sound better that way. Don’t do anything special for the rest because they aren’t picked as hard.

Picking at the 12th fret, there is far less note fluctuation making it easier to get "better", more consistent results.

Picking at the 12th fret, there is far less note fluctuation making it easier to get "better", more consistent results.

Since this has been suggested a few times now, I think I'm going to try this. But it begs the question, how do you set your intonation? I usually compare my open string to the 12 fret, and some other frets as well. Always with a reference to the open string being in tune in the first place. My brain is having a hard time with the "Chicken or the egg" scenario with this.

Since this has been suggested a few times now, I think I'm going to try this. But it begs the question, how do you set your intonation? I usually compare my open string to the 12 fret, and some other frets as well. Always with a reference to the open string being in tune in the first place. My brain is having a hard time with the "Chicken or the egg" scenario with this.
Pick halfway between the 12th fret, or other fretted note, and the bridge.

Last edited:
But it begs the question, how do you set your intonation? I usually compare my open string to the 12 fret, and some other frets as well. s.
That's still a good way to do it.

Open string and highest possible fretted note on your neck.

I learned of this technique from ibanezrules.com and it is considerably more accurate.

Pick halfway between the 12th fret, or other fretted note, and the bridge.
That's still a good way to do it.
Open string and highest possible fretted note on your neck.

I guess my question on intonation was geared toward all of the people who prefer not to use an open string to tune their guitars, those who prefer to tune with the 12th fret. The original question from the OP was asking if you should tune the open string on attack or decay. Some suggested not to use the open string, but to use the 12th fret instead. But it's kinda hard to avoid the open string completely if you need it to check the intonation. Hence my "Chicken and the egg" comment. You can't really use the 12th fret for tuning until you've verified it's correct against the open string, and then we're right back to figuring out the best way to tune an open string. I know, once the intonation is good, then the 12th fret works. I'm just being unintentionally difficult is all. I'll shut up now. Carry on. :)

BTW - Good intonation tips. Thanks!

I guess my question on intonation was geared toward all of the people who prefer not to use an open string to tune their guitars, those who prefer to tune with the 12th fret. The original question from the OP was asking if you should tune the open string on attack or decay. Some suggested not to use the open string, but to use the 12th fret instead. But it's kinda hard to avoid the open string completely if you need it to check the intonation. Hence my "Chicken and the egg" comment. You can't really use the 12th fret for tuning until you've verified it's correct against the open string, and then we're right back to figuring out the best way to tune an open string. I know, once the intonation is good, then the 12th fret works. I'm just being unintentionally difficult is all. I'll shut up now. Carry on. :)

BTW - Good intonation tips. Thanks!
It's not referring to tuning by fretting the string at the 12th fret but picking/plucking the open string at the 12th fret. Picking the open string at the 12th fret eliminates a lot of overtones that tend to "confuse" tuners.

It's not referring to tuning by fretting the string at the 12th fret but picking/plucking the open string at the 12th fret. Picking the open string at the 12th fret eliminates a lot of overtones that tend to "confuse" tuners.

You mean instead of picking closer to the bridge, or where you normally would when playing? I totally did not catch that. My bad. That never crossed my mind that picking somewhere else along the string would give a clearer tone for a tuner to interpret. Now I have something fun to try. Thank you for correcting me on that.

Or just turn down the tone pot (if there's one).

Back
Top Bottom