Tuning a Rickenbacker 330-12

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Picked up a 12-string Rick and it dawned on me, I have no clue how to tune it. Did some Googling and found handy chart below. I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Tuning 1a, 1b, 2a and 2b is straight-forward, as is 3a, 4a, 5a and 6a.

If I understand correctly, to tune 3b, 4b, 5b and 6b, I need to tune them an octave higher, as stated in the chart. According to the instructions in the link below, one way to get the higher octave, is to fret the string at the 12th fret. So, when I fret the string at the 12th fret, I pick the string and the note on the tuner is the note I need to tune to when I play the string open?

Any other handy tips?

3.gif

http://www.guitarnoise.com/help/tuning-a-12-string-guitar/

Something else noteworthy... I don't have a 12 string Ric so this will have to be verified... Your chart above shows string setup for a standard 12 string. I believe that the Rickenbaker 12 string pairing is reversed such that the low string is above the octave (on the lower strings). Just wanted to mention it so that you take notice before doing a restring.

Last edited:
Using a tuner or your ears is the best way....b is just an octave higher than a on the D, A and E strings....tho the post above implies the Rick may be different?

I believe that the Rickenbaker 12 string pairing is reversed such that the low string is above the octave (on the lower strings).

Thanks, I will look into it.

If true, just to make sure I understand correctly, what you're saying is that 3b, 4b, 5b and 6b are tuned as G, D, A, E and 3a, 4a, 5a and 6a are tuned an octave higher?

That is correct. Another way to describe it - imagine holding the guitar in playing position, when you look down on the low E pair the thicker string will be presented first followed by thinner octave. On most 12 strings it is the other way around but not on a Rick (at least the ones I have seen).

That is correct. Another way to describe it - imagine holding the guitar in playing position, when you look down on the low E pair the thicker string will be presented first followed by thinner octave. On most 12 strings it is the other way around but not on a Rick (at least the ones I have seen).

I didn't realize that, but it looks like you're correct. Rics are strung opposite how most of the rest are done.

Typical:

Acoustic%2012-string.jpg

Rickenbacker electric:

Ric%2012-string.jpg

I updated the pic in the first post of this thread to show the proper tuning of a Rickenbacker 330-12, based on the feedback I received in this thread. I thought I would post it here for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom