Tuner's... Do you use the FM9 or are you still gravitating to your dedicated unit?

I use an ST-300 Mini. I tune faster with it than the fractal tuner. Maybe it's just familiarity or the fractal one is more precise, but I can get those lights to stop pretty quickly. I can't get the lights on the Fractal strobe tuner to stop...ever. And that bugs me.

FWIW, I'm also on an FM3, not 9, and just browsing on a lazy Sunday. But, I don't think that having more switches would change the preference. I'd be really tempted to do something stupid like this:

1666536276763.png

I own three Turbo Tuners, especially one that has presets for pedal steel guitar.
This morning, I brought out my 8 string lap steel, to play through my newly acquired FM9.
The lap is in E9 tuning, and the FM9 tuner handled it well. Its easy to read.
I'm selling off a Turbo tuner.

I use the Strobostomp HD. I just don’t jive with the tuner on the latest generation of Fractal. Was happy with it on the Ax2.

FM9 Tuner.

Most people who struggle with the FM9 tuner usually struggle with tuning and intonation in general. (ie, they tune Sharp to flat without pulling the string through a saddle burr etc,)

I also have the Peterson Strobostomp. Have you checked the slight difference compared to the Fm9 tuner?
No I have not I did check it to the FM 3 tuner and didn't find any differences, guessing that the they use the same hardware/software I didn't see the need. I will take a look and see if there is any variance.

Just curious, I myself have embraced the FM9's tuner but I see lots of pic's with people using their dedicated h/w tuners so just wondering on why/general conversation.
Cheers,
I have Peterson tuners, one on my desk, and two of their “clips” tucked away in my gig-bags as spares. I also have several TC Polytune-Clip tuners on my guitars on the stand and that are my primary tuners when playing, and one of their regular Polytune on my board, because I can turn on the tuner, roll off the guitar’s volume, hit the open strings and see if something is out and get a rough idea how much and tweak it, then roll up the volume and keep playing. They’re all extremely accurate and convenient.

I decided to run some tests on the accuracy of Fractal’s built-in tuners, on all three platforms, and ran the Synth block set to a 440 Hz sine wave into the other units and measured them, and they’re spot on, equally as good as Peterson or TC.

There are some terrible tuners out there, that are so bad I won’t try to give them away, even though I never will use them again because they’re obviously off even when they say they’re in tune. But Fractal’s tuner is very good, good enough to intonate a guitar, because I’ve checked it against my Petersons and TCs, and have intonated my guitars with it.

There are things that can be wrong with our guitars that affect the tuner’s ability to find the pitch, such as intonation, old strings, fret buzz, EMI, pickups that are too low or too high, etc., but given a guitar that is set up and maintained, any of the above tuners should work really well.

Don’t tune with the time-based effects on and the sound audible. Time-based effects can change the pitch and throw off the tuner.

I can't get the lights on the Fractal strobe tuner to stop...ever. And that bugs me.
Don’t let it bug you. The Fractal tuner is extremely accurate and hitting the exact pitch to stop the display is really hard. Slow the display’s movement to a slight roll and you are good.

Cheaper tuners will lock on more quickly because they don’t have the frequency resolution that the modeler requires.

Think of it this way … to model the guitar sound, the ADC conversion has to be extremely good otherwise the pitch will be off in the modeler all the way down the line. For instance, the pitch block would immediately sound terribly off when raising the pitch of a single string by an octave. Imagine what a chord would do.

Think of it this way … to model the guitar sound, the ADC conversion has to be extremely good otherwise the pitch will be off in the modeler all the way down the line. For instance, the pitch block would immediately sound terribly off when raising the pitch of a single string by an octave. Imagine what a chord would do.
That's actually not correct because that's not how ADCs work. There are minor flaws in cheap/bad converters, but pitch accuracy isn't one of them.

I'm sure the tuner is accurate. It's something to do with the way it's displayed. But, separate from that, the Turbo Tuner looks cool...unless I run out of space on the board, that's enough for me to keep it. Plus, you can set it up to mute/tune on power on so that you can pick your preset with no noise coming through. The Fractals can't really do that on their own when the tuner takes over the whole UI.

I use both the FM9's tuner and also a Polytune 3 mini. It really depends what sort of gig I'm playing, If I'm just using the FM9 on its own then I'll use the FM9's tuner. If I'm using my FC12 board with the FM9 then I'll use the TC. I have it connected to one of the outputs on either the FM9 or the Axe and then I can just roll my exp pedal back to heel down and tune silently in the middle of a song etc as the TC is always on.

Yes I know I can set the FM9/Axe to trigger the tuner with the heel down setting in the menu but I prefer doing it this way. My TC is being powered by a rechargeable battery powered supply underneath my board so I don't use it that much. If I'm at rehearsal I'll quite happily use the FM9's tuner which works great! I have a stand in switch attached to my FC12 board which activates the tuner on the FM9/Axe as well.

Honestly, I've been using the FAS tuners for both tuning and adjusting the intonation (both guitars and basses) since I got the AF2 in 2011...in fact, now I am thinking of it, I haven't owned a tuner pedal for a decade or so...

Back
Top Bottom