Tuner, tuner, on the wall.. how low can you go and still have a ball?

Cobrango

Power User
Question is, will it handle the earthquake at E0 - 20.602 Hz?
I could always just use the octave at the 12th fret, but you know, axe-fx III

So...ummmm

In the extreme upper and extreme lower range of musical instruments

Being in tune and sounding in tune are too different things...

So- you can play an E0 in tune to a tuner- but there are many physical factors that would make it sound out of tune-
You'd be better off tuning it by ear than to a tuner...

That's how pianos are tuned to make it sound good (not to mention most of the keys have 3 strings so chords sound in tune due to physical/harmonic factories involved with those but that's a different story)

You tune the middle part of the piano to the tuner- than kinda wing the rest by year relative to that middle register-
If you put the notes spot on in tune to a tuner- it would sound off the lower and higher you go

So a tuner using just math and numbers to tell you if a note is in tune might not sound that way in the real world

It is a simple question, E0 or not E0 is the question :p How low will the tuner be accurate? 20.602 Hz? No? :)

There is also another reason for multiple strings...

For a 3 note major chord to be perfectly in tune... sound right on- dead in tune...
The third has to be SLIGHTLY and i mean very slightly sharp

If you hit those 3 notes perfectly in tune alone- it wouldn't sound perfect
That slight adjustment somehow physically/magically makes it sound in tune-

You really learn this when you play brass instruments- Trump is fun- and you get big high closely spaced chords and you might be "right" but you have to adjust to make it hit

I'll also mention this- when you play perfectly in tune- you don't have to struggle to play as loud- being in tune just rings better and spreads better- playing out of tune makes you have to play louder and work too hard

There is also another reason for multiple strings...

For a 3 note major chord to be perfectly in tune... sound right on- dead in tune...
The third has to be SLIGHTLY and i mean very slightly sharp

A pure (5:4) major 3rd is slightly (13.7 cents) flat of 12TET, not sharp. Multiple strings aren't typically doing anything to help there though.

Back
Top Bottom